Been thinking about retirement lately

Calliers

Are you currently thinking and preparing for retirement?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently preparing for retirement?

• I've been preparing since I started working
    • I just started to prepare, but I think I'm in good shape
    • I am a bit behind on retirement right now, but praying everything will go well
    • Retirement? Ha! I'm a trust fund baby!

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, uhtred said:

I'll retire when they pry my cold dead hands off the oscilloscope knobs.  

I'm not mentally / emotionally equipped to retire.  I need to feel I'm doing something.

Some people never retire... and that is totally okay. ^_^

• Like 1
TestingInProd

I've only just started really after finishing school a while back. Thankfully I've ended up in a position where I can and have started preparing now but honestly I have a number of other more immediate financial goals to tackle first like paying off student loans, maybe buying a house in the next decade, etc.

• Like 3

Oy Calli you didn't put no option for the corpses like me that won't be retiring until they're dead.

Being honest here Calli, the only thoughts I put much behind thinking of retirement was that I didn't want to wait sixty five years to enjoy my life, because knowing my luck, I'd get there and then die. Which is, truthfully, what happens to a lot of people. They gamble on things going right and they get screwed so hard.

The other factor, I guess, is that I've worked around a lot of people who were retirement age by decades, but they weren't retired. The difference in health in these people is noticeable. Minus disease, it's a simple rule that a body in motion stays in motion. It's a critical part of growing older. The other being, some of the could be retirees just liked their work too much to quit, which is what I think everybody deserves to have in their life to some degree. But out here I also so a lot of elders working because they're stuck too.

Maybe you guessed it earlier, but hate doesn't accurately describe how I feel about our manmade systems, especially concerning how we treat life, money, and by extension retirement. But, I did do some thinking some time ago.

What's a guy like me do if I hate jobs and burning my lifeforce away if I hate money and my passions won't pay the bills. I figured go to the source of all evil. So I started investing in dividends on the toronto stock exchange. I had this nifty plan set up. Work three years at two jobs, pump a certain amount of money in to get the snowball rolling, and by three years I could make monthly paychecks I could easily live off of, if a bit tight. Then I had my miniature heart attack, picked up a few diseases, and now I'm working five hours a week at my job on average.

Honestly Calli, I legitimately don't think I'll make it to retirement age, let alone being actually able to retire. As long as the dividends snowball moves at the pace its going now, it'll take fifteen to twenty years to be profitable in any sense, which is perfect for my sister or niece long term. But, even assuming I finally miss the dodge on the coffin that's been tailing me for a while now, I have my doubts as to where our world will be by then anyway.

It kinda reinforces my point about hating retirement and society and trusting not to get screwed over. I'd rather choose to live here and now and be broke than gamble on a future that's never set in stone. But I'm still all too aware of needing to try and plan for being truly an old carcass. I may feel old beyond my years, but physically my body's not caught up yet. Like I joke about all the time, my retirement plan so far is a couple 12 gauge shells. :P

• Like 2

Lol, @E , your post makes me think of the move Don't Look Up. Go watch it, you'll thank me. :)

• Like 1

I'm one of the lucky ones who was able to retire (at the age of 60; meanwhile, my dad who is 86 now, retired when he was 55 - he keeps busy and still travels a fair bit).

I don't know if I have any good advice for others. I really think some of it is luck, and times change. Maybe what worked for me won't work for others. There's the usual advice about doing whatever planning and saving you can now, but also live life now, too. Travel, if that's something you want to do. Enjoy hobbies, friends, etc. And try to contribute to some sort of retirement savings. At least that's what I'd tell my younger self.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm one of the lucky ones who was able to retire (at the age of 60; meanwhile, my dad who is 86 now, retired when he was 55 - he keeps busy and still travels a fair bit).

I don't know if I have any good advice for others. I really think some of it is luck, and times change. Maybe what worked for me won't work for others. There's the usual advice about doing whatever planning and saving you can now, but also live life now, too. Travel, if that's something you want to do. Enjoy hobbies, friends, etc. And try to contribute to some sort of retirement savings. At least that's what I'd tell my younger self.

Thank you for your sharing your insight with those of us still in the trenches.... much appreciated. :)

• Like 2

Although I've contributed to pension funds since the age of 16, with the cost of living rising so rapidly and the age of retirement going up, I don't think I'll ever get to retirement age or if I do, I won't be able to afford to retire

• Like 2
Captain_Tass

Hell, I'm a first year university student and longing for retirement already

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Life Of Tass said:

Hell, I'm a first year university student and longing for retirement already

You're gonna love the next 40 years of your life then. :P

• Like 3

Not particularly concerned about being able to retire at some point - I've been lucky to like a profession on the benefitting end of our pervasive income inequality.

As for when though... no idea. I don't think I'll be able to think about that until I actually know what I'd like my retirement to look like 😕 

I think it's critical to keep yourself busy even when retired - retiring for its own sake doesn't sound appealing at all, and I've seen some people at older age that don't know what to do with themselves... it doesn't seem like a great quality of life :( 

Be it caring for grandchildren, beekeeping, or meeting lots of friends - those retirees with a passion are the ones that seem happiest and that I look up to.

Once I've figured out what I want that to look like for me (be it in 10, 20, 30, or 50 years), then I'll know it's time to retire! :D 

Wish me luck I don't get hit by a truck until then! ;D

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

Retirement in Belgium, yet another subject for memes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies people, also, it looks like we have a trust fund baby in our midst. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
Grumpy Alien

I’ll be lucky if I can retire.

I had a good 401k through my work in the US. I had that with my first job at 18 and it carried over when I moved through the company. When I emigrated, it became redundant and I was desperate to clear some debt. So I took the (massive) penalty and emptied it. I got $7k from it which went toward my visa and moving costs.

I couldn’t get a half decent job here in England until very recently. My previous jobs didn’t pay me enough for me to pay taxes so they were able to get away with not offering me a pension. I finally have a pension now after 2.5 years. I turn 30 this year. My pension officially started in January. So I’m a decade or more behind in accumulation.

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

From the time I'll be on age to retire, retirement may not exist anymore, so... Better not thinking about it.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I’ll be lucky if I can retire.

I had a good 401k through my work in the US. I had that with my first job at 18 and it carried over when I moved through the company. When I emigrated, it became redundant and I was desperate to clear some debt. So I took the (massive) penalty and emptied it. I got $7k from it which went toward my visa and moving costs.

I couldn’t get a half decent job here in England until very recently. My previous jobs didn’t pay me enough for me to pay taxes so they were able to get away with not offering me a pension. I finally have a pension now after 2.5 years. I turn 30 this year. My pension officially started in January. So I’m a decade or more behind in accumulation.

At least you started, which makes sense. Better than nothing completely at all....

• Like 1

I'll never have enough moolah to live lavishly. I might be able to collect a small pension.

Very smol.

Don't really care how much $$$ is in my pockets, so long as I'm surrounded by friends who are up for a good time travelling.

• Like 3
TormentDubz
22 minutes ago, TinyAlice said:

I'll never have enough moolah to live lavishly. I might be able to collect a small pension.

Very smol.

Don't really care how much $$$ is in my pockets, so long as I'm surrounded by friends who are up for a good time travelling.

I bet at least a few of your friends would enjoy time travelling...

• Like 3

I just started working full-time 2 years ago so still have a long way to go until retirement. Plus our government keeps increasing the age for retirement so I could be well over 70 by the time I'm able to retire.

• Like 1

So I talked to my parents about retiring outside Canada and they were totally against the idea, like completely and whole-heartedly against it. They said other places in the world are dangerous, and Canada is the most peaceful place and I should remain here for the rest of my life.

And the funny thing is retirement is still a very long ways off for me, they also know that they won't be here when I retire, so they kind of were trying to make me promise I would never move to another country - ever.

On 6/11/2022 at 4:33 AM, TormentDubz said:

I bet at least a few of your friends would enjoy time travelling...

😆🤣👆

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

@Calliers

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator