What are your favorite languages?

StarryNightAllAlone

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, Typhoon said:

Another thing I like about it is that it's very similar to Polish so if someone shows me a Polish sentence I can understand about 25% of it.

That's a bit tricky, though :P there are words in Czech that are pronounced similar way in Polish, but they mean something else. But in general, you're right.

• Like 3
harmonic turquoise

I once heard Leonard Nimoy speaking Yiddish and was very fascinated by the sound of it. I love listening to the sounds of foreign languages. This is because it has a sound that is not present in my mother language.

• Like 4
J. van Deijck

Some people say Dutch sounds like you're choking on something, :lol: but the impression usually changes a bit when they come to Belgium. I still think it's one of the coolest languages ever :P

• Like 2
coolshades

Bahasa Indonesia

Arabic

Welsh

• Like 1
StarryNightAllAlone
On 5/15/2022 at 12:22 AM, alsjeblieft said:

Some people say Dutch sounds like you're choking on something, :lol: but the impression usually changes a bit when they come to Belgium. I still think it's one of the coolest languages ever :P

I love the sound of Dutch. I don't know what it is, but I find it an interesting, fun, and down to earth language. I like the throaty or guttural sounds. I find it pleasant to listen to. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
21 minutes ago, StarryNightAllAlone said:

I love the sound of Dutch. I don't know what it is, but I find it an interesting, fun, and down to language. I like the throaty or guttural sounds. I find it pleasant to listen to. 

Is it strange that your post makes me happy in a way? :ph34r: :D

Some people like German for the same reason, but for me, Dutch sounds prettier than German. No offense to any of the awesome Germans of AVEN ^_^

• Like 3
SorryNotSorry

Chinook and Swahili.

Chinook is a very onomatopoeic language, a good fit for us who have synesthesia. In Swahili, everything fits together like clockwork, with no silly irregular words like English has.

• Like 2

I found this funny since I am a native English speaker and love Japanese lol, it is so true the way Japanese people speak English! :D

Personally I find it cool the way they do! Especially Japanese guys!

I'd say I'd love to learn Spanish and German, and Italian too.

But I've also started to learn some Swedish couple of months ago!

I find that languages are fascinating!

And actually the more you learn about different languages the more easier it seems to be to just continue and learn them!

• Like 1

I've heard that the best way to learn a new language (and I think I've said this on AVEN somewhere before) is just be air dropped into the country that speaks that language and left to survive, basically sink or swim. Check back a year or two later and said person will be fluent in the local language. :lol:

J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, Calliers said:

I've heard that the best way to learn a new language (and I think I've said this on AVEN somewhere before) is just be air dropped into the country that speaks that language and left to survive, basically sink or swim. Check back a year or two later and said person will be fluent in the local language. :lol:

Not always. Here as soon as people notice you're a foreigner, they kinda automatically switch to English while talking to you :lol: and I know some people who have spent years here and they're nowhere near fluent. My Romanian friends, for example.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

Not always. Here as soon as people notice you're a foreigner, they kinda automatically switch to English while talking to you :lol: and I know some people who have spent years here and they're nowhere near fluent. My Romanian friends, for example.

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the case with places like Scandinavia, the Netherlands, and Germany, too, (and maybe others as well, in addition to Belgium) where so many people learn English and tend to be quite fluent in it. I wonder, would it be different in the Dutch-speaking parts of Belgium vs the French-speaking parts?

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
9 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the case with places like Scandinavia, the Netherlands, and Germany, too, (and maybe others as well, in addition to Belgium) where so many people learn English and tend to be quite fluent in it. I wonder, would it be different in the Dutch-speaking parts of Belgium vs the French-speaking parts?

There is a difference, from my impression about spending time in Wallonia there's mostly French, some people happen to speak English, but not all of them, and Dutch is practically nonexistent :lol: it's typically more mixed closer to the 'border' between these two parts.

This is the thing, you can't learn much of the language if everyone around speaks English to you and is not being helpful :lol:

• Like 3
SorryNotSorry

Clidian would be interesting to learn. It's a language made up of growls and guttural noises, the closest thing I can think of is the sound of a malfunctioning garbage disposal.

• Like 2

I love Russian. I minored in Spanish and French in college but if I could take any language now it would be Russian for sure.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
6 hours ago, Slajmy said:

I love my own language: Swedish.

Swedish is quite pretty.

Besides, I love my own language, too, I don't think there's something bad in it :P

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

Swedish is quite pretty.

Besides, I love my own language, too, I don't think there's something bad in it :P

Can I just say that people bash on English a lot, but I think it is a beautiful language in it's own right! :)

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
53 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Can I just say that people bash on English a lot, but I think it is a beautiful language in it's own right! :)

English has become somewhat "international" over time, it's a bit easier than other Germanic languages, at least to my perception. Unless we're talking about old English... that was something close to Dutch or German :lol:

So yeah, 99% of people seem to know English to the point of having a decent communication, but if you ask someone to say something in your language if you're not a native English-speaker... then the fun begins :lol:

• Like 2
7 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

Unless we're talking about old English... that was something close to Dutch or German

<flashbacks to Old English grammar classes at uni>

@Slajmy It looks to me, as a person who has never tried learning Swedish, Norwegian or Danish, that while their grammar(s) come across as rather uncomplicated, the languages make up for it with the tricky pronunciation. (And yes, I've heard that Danish is in a class of its own in that regard :D )

• Like 3

@Calliers

I founf this video years ago and it's just perfect:

Spoiler

Also, that feeling when Langufocus is about to drop a video on Icelandic :D 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@Calliers

I founf this video years ago and it's just perfect:

Hide contents

Also, that feeling when Langufocus is about to drop a video on Icelandic :D 

Wow.... I felt that.... very powerful. 😮

Thanks for sharing! :D

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gndrqrd said:

I love Russian. I minored in Spanish and French in college but if I could take any language now it would be Russian for sure.

Out of all the languages that are commonly taught in Polish schools, the only one I've never had in my curriculum at any stage of my education was Russian. Being born in 1981, I started school just in time to avoid mandatory lessons . Not that I have any kind of dislike for it, I've just never tried learning Russian, either in school or on my own. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
36 minutes ago, Calliers said:

:lol:

screen-shot-2019-10-23-at-3.22.09-pm.png

Yes. That's beautiful.

• Like 1
Just now, alsjeblieft said:

Yes. That's beautiful.

For me it just looks like gibberish for the most part lol! :lol:

J. van Deijck
4 minutes ago, Calliers said: