What are your favorite languages?

StarryNightAllAlone

J. van Deijck
On 5/22/2022 at 4:45 AM, Piotrek said:

I know bits and pieces of several languages (although usually not enought to communicate in a cohenerent string of grammatically-correct utterances) so I get that a lot too. :) 

...me and French :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 2
On 5/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, Calliers said:

I have to add Swahili because my parents are from Africa so I mean, I do have to have like the -quintessential- African language as a favorite too guess. :lol:

Are you fluent in Swahili and other African Languages. I'm trying to learn how to speak  languages from Congo, Nigeria, Botswana

Any members speak American Indian/Indigenous  language?

• Navajo
  • Lakota
  • Cherokee
  • Choctaw
  • Potawatomi
1 hour ago, newgirl said:

Are you fluent in Swahili and other African Languages. I'm trying to learn how to speak  languages from Congo, Nigeria, Botswana

Nope, I just speak English lol. I believe in Congo they speak French anyway. :lol:

In Botswana they speak Setswana (been there) and I've never been to Nigeria so not sure what they speak.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
3 minutes ago, Calliers said:

I believe in Congo they speak French anyway. :lol:

True that, but I've once known (actually studied with) a woman from Congo who was fluent in six languages. That was pretty impressive :D but she said once that her first language is French.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

True that, but I've once known (actually studied with) a woman from Congo who was fluent in six languages. That was pretty impressive :D but she said once that her first language is French.

Yes a lot of Africans who can afford to travel outside of Africa usually know multiple languages. :)

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, Calliers said:

Yes a lot of Africans who can afford to travel outside of Africa usually know multiple languages. :)

Spoiler

Congo was a Belgian colony. Probably this is the reason :ph34r:

But I really wonder where she has learnt the rest, she's been living in Belgium for quite a few years, though :D

• Like 2
ElloryJaye

Languages in general are really, really neat.  It's amazing how many different sounds (and gestures!) humans can make and how many different ways we've come up with of stringing them together to communicate. 🙃

I have this weird fascination with extinct languages—everything from Tocharian to Zuni—but I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favourite.

I only speak English, French (kinda rusty there, but I'd most likely recover my fluency if I used it more), and smatterings of German and Japanese.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

@godverdomme When I go for a walk I often don't know where I will end up. This time I set out to to buy an ice cream and ended up in a bookstore (you're probably familiar with the Empik chain?). Anyway, while there I had a look at the language materials available and I noticed that there were quite a few for Dutch (well, quite a few for a less-popular language, such as Dutch). Grammar book, vocabulary flashcards with audio recordings and a textbook were the ones that stuck out to me, but there were more.

Some of the other languages available amazed me! I mean, a Mongolian phrasebook!? :D There was also an icelandic one, which is cool :) Just a pity than neither of those two had any audio materials. I imagine pronunciation of those language will be quite a challenge, due to there being little appropriate audio available.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
13 hours ago, Piotrek said:

you're probably familiar with the Empik chain?

Of course, they even send parcels abroad :D

But I guess these materials were for Dutch Dutch, not like there's much difference between Dutch from the Netherlands and Dutch from Belgium, but still :P and Mongolian language? Now that's a rarity :D

Speaking of this, it's easy for me to recognise if a Dutch-speaking person is a Dutch or a Belgian, the accent and pronunciation differs really. On the other hand, people mistaking me for Dutch due to my height, almost always change their opinion when I start speaking. Some smarter or more familiar ones can even tell the West Flanders is happening. :lol: Really, the province I'm based in has the softest variant of spoken Dutch. It never stops amazing me, especially that in my ears, this is how Dutch sounds like :P

• Like 1