Enough luxury for now, thanks

SorryNotSorry

Just got done running a 12 volt direct line from the Leaf’s lead-acid battery through the firewall and into the cabin so I can operate 12 volt accessories. What a job. It involved playing Great Explorer while using a fish tape, a mirror, and a flashlight. Luckily I won’t need to do this again.

EVs are at a threshold right now. The companies that make then need to stop being so hung up on luxury, and start offering economy and utility. A high-end EV with all the bells and whistles (for all I know, there are cars on the market that will give you your daily horoscope) used to be nice if you wanted to show off, but it doesn’t do much for the low-wage worker who’s living paycheck to paycheck and just needs to get across town and back, or for the contractor who needs to bring a bunch of 2x4” boards to a job site.

In other words, there’s a growing demand for cheaper EVs which are made to be kitted out by their owners. If that wasn’t true, there’d be no such thing as aftermarket accessories.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SorryNotSorry said:

Just got done running a 12 volt direct line from the Leaf’s lead-acid battery through the firewall and into the cabin so I can operate 12 volt accessories.

Whomst among us hasn't run a 12 volt direct line from the Leaf's lead-acid battery through the firewall and into the cabin so they could operate 12 volt accessories?

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, SorryNotSorry said:

Just got done running a 12 volt direct line from the Leaf’s lead-acid battery through the firewall and into the cabin so I can operate 12 volt accessories. What a job. It involved playing Great Explorer while using a fish tape, a mirror, and a flashlight. Luckily I won’t need to do this again.

EVs are at a threshold right now. The companies that make then need to stop being so hung up on luxury, and start offering economy and utility. A high-end EV with all the bells and whistles (for all I know, there are cars on the market that will give you your daily horoscope) used to be nice if you wanted to show off, but it doesn’t do much for the low-wage worker who’s living paycheck to paycheck and just needs to get across town and back, or for the contractor who needs to bring a bunch of 2x4” boards to a job site.

In other words, there’s a growing demand for cheaper EVs which are made to be kitted out by their owners. If that wasn’t true, there’d be no such thing as aftermarket accessories.

Cars, in general, slowly come to market with what they have. That's been the case for some time, they don't want to flood the market with low cost EVs when they still haven't finished getting the profit from some other vehicles. Luxury items are high profit, low risk, since most luxury items put in cars are what you can get in your phone/tablet/laptop/house years ago. This won't change once EVs are mass produced, but you might get your wish as Kit cars become more EV oriented. 

TormentDubz
1 hour ago, SorryNotSorry said:

The companies that make then need to stop being so hung up on luxury, and start offering economy and utility.

Buick makes a combination of all 3 and I think they’re releasing an EV line in the next couple years

54 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Whomst among us hasn't run a 12 volt direct line from the Leaf's lead-acid battery through the firewall and into the cabin so they could operate 12 volt accessories?

Damn, you too?! I was just doing that this morning. Every Wednesday at 9.43 am on the dot. It's one of my most cherished rituals.

14 minutes ago, Lady Telecaster said:

Damn, you too?! I was just doing that this morning. Every Wednesday at 9.43 am on the dot. It's one of my most cherished rituals.

I've been trying to do it with a 12-volt direct line to my 2000 Saturn.  How was I to know that I needed an "EV" to be successful in that very important project?    

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sally said:

I've been trying to do it with a 12-volt direct line to my 2000 Saturn.  How was I to know that I needed an "EV" to be successful in that very important project?    

Happens to the best of us. The good thing is, we're never too old to learn. Congratulations on your latest achievement in your vehicular journey.

• Like 1
SorryNotSorry
3 hours ago, dwest said:

Cars, in general, slowly come to market with what they have. That's been the case for some time, they don't want to flood the market with low cost EVs when they still haven't finished getting the profit from some other vehicles. Luxury items are high profit, low risk, since most luxury items put in cars are what you can get in your phone/tablet/laptop/house years ago. This won't change once EVs are mass produced, but you might get your wish as Kit cars become more EV oriented. 

Uncle Tony is pissed off about it, but things are trending in that direction.

But the problem with conversions at the time of this writing is that once a person has the vehicle and the kit, they need to know what they're doing and probably rent a hoist in the bargain. Botch it up, and you've just wasted a lot of money.

Something like a "bare bones" vehicle is different, because you buy it new and then add the aftermarket options you want. A lot of hot rodders did just that to pre-1978 VW Beetles and even to some Chevy Corvairs.

As electric cars are now I wouldn't want to own one, not enough range, and the charge rate is still too slow for my liking.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sally said:

I've done this to almost all the vehicles I owned, none of them were ev. Good luck.

bare_trees
13 hours ago, SorryNotSorry said:

Stupid question incoming.  What does this mean?  What does it do?

SorryNotSorry
22 minutes ago, bare_trees said:

Stupid question incoming.  What does this mean?  What does it do?

Provides power to run things the factory didn’t install (fog lights, cucaracha horn, etc).

The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked.

• Like 1
SorryNotSorry
14 hours ago, Calliers said:

As electric cars are now I wouldn't want to own one, not enough range, and the charge rate is still too slow for my liking.

As the prices of gas and diesel go up, the US will have to start making methanol and running vehicles on that...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/09/electric-cars-will-be-cheaper-to-produce-than-fossil-fuel-vehicles-by-2027

also

“It’s very common for automakers to deploy any kind of new technology on more expensive cars first, because [luxury car buyers] can bear the price,” said Cox Automotive executive analyst Michelle Krebs. Once carmakers ramp up production volume and bring down costs, they introduce those features on more affordable models. “We saw that with antilock brakes, we saw that with stability control systems, all the new safety features,” Krebs said. “Those things came first on luxury cars and then moved on down the line.” Now, we’re seeing the same dynamic play out with electric vehicles.

https://qz.com/2161731/why-electric-cars-are-getting-pricier-while-batteries-get-cheaper/

6 hours ago, SorryNotSorry said:

Provides power to run things the factory didn’t install (fog lights, cucaracha horn, etc).

The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked.

One could argue that if they had provided enough luxury there would be no need to do that.

Anyways my 12 volt power source powers a small sealed subwoofer because I'm boring like that, lol.

SorryNotSorry
3 minutes ago, Jethro said:

One could argue that if they had provided enough luxury there would be no need to do that.

Anyways my 12 volt power source powers a small sealed subwoofer because I'm boring like that, lol.

My Leaf didn’t come with the option of giving me my daily horoscope.

I feel ripped off. A vehicle which doesn’t give me my horoscope is beneath my dignity.

Lots of horoscope apps, It shouldn't be to hard to set a macro for your bluetooth radio to "read" it to you automatically when your phone connects. Have fun!