Men and women's deodorants, what gives? [Musing/Rant]

Janus the Fox

Deodorant I’m pretty much ok with, since it does a job keeping me fresh after exercise.  Both male and female mild deodorants seem to be quite similar in scent, preferring ‘feminine’ smells.  It’s the aftershaves/perfumes that’s there’s something about them that’s just too strong and be too painful to be around for a stretch of time.

For comic relief, I am just going to deposit this here:

• Like 3

I wonder if there is really that much difference between how much men and women sweat, the content of the sweat, the deodorant ingredients, etc. My preferred deodorant these days is made for women, it's an "unscented" gel (although the ingredients do list "fragrance", whatever it is is subtle enough for me). Maybe there is an identical product for men that I don't know about/haven't looked for.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
12 minutes ago, daveb said:

I wonder if there is really that much difference between how much men and women sweat, the content of the sweat, the deodorant ingredients, etc. My preferred deodorant these days is made for women, it's an "unscented" gel (although the ingredients do list "fragrance", whatever it is is subtle enough for me). Maybe there is an identical product for men that I don't know about/haven't looked for.

I know about one without scent that is pretty unisex (that one stops sweating completely), but I'm not sure if you can find it outside Europe :(

• Like 2
Purple Red Panda

Whenever I hear anyone metion male deodorants I mind always goes straight to Lynx aka the smell of sexually frustrated teenage lads. I think this stuff also exists in the US and possibly elsewhere under the name Axe.

rthrththrth.jpg

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
1 minute ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I think this stuff also exists in the US and possibly elsewhere under the name Axe.

You're right, here in Belgium it's Axe, in other parts of Europe I've been to it's Axe as well, not sure about the US :lol:

But I actually like these. Their scents are not that aggressive to my nose :lol:

Purple Red Panda
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

But I actually like these. Their scents are not that aggressive to my nose

I don't hate it but teenagers and young men in the UK have a habit of dousing themselves in the stuff to the point of it becoming utterly overpowering. I suspect this may be in part to the dubious adverts they used to produce which suggested that it made you totally irresistible to women.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I don't hate it but teenagers and young men in the UK have a habit of dousing themselves in the stuff to the point of it becoming utterly overpowering. I suspect this may be in part to the dubious adverts they used to produce which suggested that it made you totally irresistible to women.

I have to admit it, as much as I like these scents, their advertisements make me cringe pretty hard. Many people are prone to fall for suggestions, though, so you may have a point there :P

And for overpowering smells, we have a guy like that in our workplace. We can smell him 30 minutes before we can see him, literally.

Spoiler

One of my teammates told him directly to his face that he smells like an old prostitute. :ph34r: This might sound quite offensive, but it wasn't for no reason, to be honest.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, daveb said:

My preferred deodorant these days is made for women, it's an "unscented" gel (although the ingredients do list "fragrance", whatever it is is subtle enough for me). Maybe there is an identical product for men that I don't know about/haven't looked for.

I use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Mitchum-Deodorant-Mens-Unscented-2-25oz/dp/B002NGWIOK

Apparently, this brand does make gel deodorants "for women" as well, but not the unscented kind (as far as I know).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

I have no problem with it. 

Hide contents

I even use female perfumes sometimes. :ph34r:

What are 'female perfumes'? 🤪

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
36 minutes ago, Phalena said:

What are 'female perfumes'? 🤪

Like, anything that was targeted at women :lol: I still don't care who is the target, I will use either as long as it smells nice to me.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Whenever I hear anyone metion male deodorants I mind always goes straight to Lynx aka the smell of sexually frustrated teenage lads. I think this stuff also exists in the US and possibly elsewhere under the name Axe.

rthrththrth.jpg

Ah yes. Axe deodorants. They were used as weapons in "deo fights" between middle schoolers here. Terrible, terrible memories.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
7 hours ago, Phalena said:

Ah yes. Axe deodorants. They were used as weapons in "deo fights" between middle schoolers here. Terrible, terrible memories.

These are what both me and my partner use, too :lol: and when it comes to scents of shower gels, he doesn't care either, unless its smells like coconut because he hates it :lol: so no matter if it's for men, women or anyone else.

• Like 2
DuranDuranfan
21 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

You're right, here in Belgium it's Axe, in other parts of Europe I've been to it's Axe as well, not sure about the US :lol:

But I actually like these. Their scents are not that aggressive to my nose :lol:

Really? I’ve always thought that stuff aughta be classified as a WMD.

• Like 3
DuranDuranfan
21 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Oh god those ads were so much cringe! 

• Like 3
Purple Red Panda
2 minutes ago, DuranDuranfan said:

Oh god those ads were so much cringe! 

I remember think they were fairly dodgy even at the time but having gone back and watched a few on YouTube yesterday they now seem utterly absurd and offensive. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
39 minutes ago, DuranDuranfan said:

Really? I’ve always thought that stuff aughta be classified as a WMD.

there are worse smells out there :lol: but I have to agree about advertisements.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

unless its smells like coconut because he hates it :lol:

Me too. And so many things have coconut in them. :P 

• Like 1

Not deodrant but I used to like the shower gels aimed at women - the fruity ones in particular. Although, mosquitoes liked them too. 🙈

For some reason I've gone for products aimed at men more recently. Really though, it would be nice if products were more gender neutral unless it's different in some significant way (better for a specific sex). People can choose what smell they like, after all.

Purple Red Panda

I like to use Impulse Tease and got overly excited when I found out they also do it in a big 150ml can 😆

lEy4PRE.jpg

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
10 minutes ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I like to use Impulse Tease and got overly excited when I found out they also do it in a big 150ml can 😆

OMG I haven't seen this brand since I was a little kid, thanks for posting it here :D

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Me too. And so many things have coconut in them. :P 

...so good they don't make raisin scented things, unless I don't know something :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

...so good they don't make raisin scented things, unless I don't know something :ph34r: :lol:

:lol: 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
34 minutes ago, daveb said:

:lol: 

...wait, they do? 😱🤣

• Like 1
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

...wait, they do? 😱🤣

Not that I know of, but the idea makes me laugh. And who knows, maybe they do. People are funny. :P 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Not that I know of, but the idea makes me laugh. And who knows, maybe they do. People are funny. :P 

They are indeed :lol: why does it make me think of Japan instantly :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 1

Also, thinking of all of those chip flavors from around the world. :P 

• Like 1
DuranDuranfan
13 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

there are worse smells out there :lol: but I have to agree about advertisements.

Oh yeah for sure. Like the sewage treatment plant next to the bridge. On a hot summer day.

• Like 1
DuranDuranfan
14 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I remember think they were fairly dodgy even at the time but having gone back and watched a few on YouTube yesterday they now seem utterly absurd and offensive. 

Yeah there’d be outrage over them today.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, Purple Red Panda said:

rthrththrth.jpg

Wtf does Africa smell like? What a bizarre name. 😂