Mixed feelings on what's happening on my country

Boondocks Paradox

Hello! Usually I hang out here on the lighter side of the forum, but this will be the first time I'll be opening myself here, or to any online space for that matter, with regards to politics.

To be honest, I'm not feeling okay. I feel sad, disappointed, and also scared of what is going to happen on the next few days, weeks, or even years.

For context, I am referring to the 2022 presidential elections here. The one who leads in the pre-election surveys and now the official counting of ballots is a man who is a son of an infamous dictator who once led our country decades ago. While we can say that son is not his father, the son too is also guilty of his own crimes. Obviously my relatives, friends, collogues, and I voted for the leading candidate of the opposition. Observing the numbers coming in from the tally last night, we were anxious seeing the initial results.

I can accept the fact that he would be the next president leading the country, and my life will go as in for the next six years. What I am both astonished and distraught is how his tactics and machinery ran all through out the years and all worked to his advantage to the end. You see, we were taught in school on the history of the martial law under his father's regime, and its negative outcome. He was ousted through a revolution, and he and his fled out of the country. Decades later, his son slowly rises in position in the government; he ran as vice president in the 2016 elections, but lost to a close margin to the current vice president. He cried foul and claimed he was cheated (even though later investigations and recounting of votes proved his claims wrong). He and his followers started spreading false narratives and misinformation on himself and his family, building up this machinery of lies and deception up to his presidential campaign. Sadly, his followers and now general public accepted him, and those who convince them on the truth as "elitists." 

This has been the most emotional election I've experienced. Normally whoever wins gets accepted by the majority in the long run, and sometimes gets lambasted midway when they fail to address some national issues. But this time, I cannot stomach in the fact that someone propelled his way to the highest position used dirty tactics and misinformation and people bought it and were zealously persuaded. I don't know what to expect in the next few days, but I guarantee the tension will be worse.

This doubles as a vent and sympathy post, but it surely belongs here. I feel this is only place I can vent out my thoughts and feelings, because for sure when I do this elsewhere, I will be attacked by his followers (and I expect the worse that there might be some of them here). I opted not to open my social media accounts for I will only see the same disappointing news, and immersing myself to such might damage me mentally. Virtual hugs are appreciated, but please extend your sympathies too to my countrymen. It's really hard to love your own country while dealing this kind of situation.

• Like 4
Fraggle Underdark

:(

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Boondocks Paradox said:

Hello! Usually I hang out here on the lighter side of the forum, but this will be the first time I'll be opening myself here, or to any online space for that matter, with regards to politics.

To be honest, I'm not feeling okay. I feel sad, disappointed, and also scared of what is going to happen on the next few days, weeks, or even years.

For context, I am referring to the 2022 presidential elections here. The one who leads in the pre-election surveys and now the official counting of ballots is a man who is a son of an infamous dictator who once led our country decades ago. While we can say that son is not his father, the son too is also guilty of his own crimes. Obviously my relatives, friends, collogues, and I voted for the leading candidate of the opposition. Observing the numbers coming in from the tally last night, we were anxious seeing the initial results.

I can accept the fact that he would be the next president leading the country, and my life will go as in for the next six years. What I am both astonished and distraught is how his tactics and machinery ran all through out the years and all worked to his advantage to the end. You see, we were taught in school on the history of the martial law under his father's regime, and its negative outcome. He was ousted through a revolution, and he and his fled out of the country. Decades later, his son slowly rises in position in the government; he ran as vice president in the 2016 elections, but lost to a close margin to the current vice president. He cried foul and claimed he was cheated (even though later investigations and recounting of votes proved his claims wrong). He and his followers started spreading false narratives and misinformation on himself and his family, building up this machinery of lies and deception up to his presidential campaign. Sadly, his followers and now general public accepted him, and those who convince them on the truth as "elitists." 

This has been the most emotional election I've experienced. Normally whoever wins gets accepted by the majority in the long run, and sometimes gets lambasted midway when they fail to address some national issues. But this time, I cannot stomach in the fact that someone propelled his way to the highest position used dirty tactics and misinformation and people bought it and were zealously persuaded. I don't know what to expect in the next few days, but I guarantee the tension will be worse.

This doubles as a vent and sympathy post, but it surely belongs here. I feel this is only place I can vent out my thoughts and feelings, because for sure when I do this elsewhere, I will be attacked by his followers (and I expect the worse that there might be some of them here). I opted not to open my social media accounts for I will only see the same disappointing news, and immersing myself to such might damage me mentally. Virtual hugs are appreciated, but please extend your sympathies too to my countrymen. It's really hard to love your own country while dealing this kind of situation.

Believe me, many Americans understand and sympathize with how you feel.  We experienced the same dismay and depression after the 2016 election, and we're worried about the 2024 election.  

• Like 6

Hugs

@Sally is right. Many progressives in the US understand the feelings. And the fact that it still isn't behind us. Who knows when it will be. :( 

Best wishes to you and your countrymen, @Boondocks Paradox!

• Like 3