Experiences attending Queer/LGBTQIA+ Groups?

CaitTheBookishAce

Have you attended a queer/LGBTQIA+ group or meet up in your community? How was it? How were you received? 
I’m interested in possibly attending a couple of queer meetups in my area that are based on my hobbies, but I’m nervous cause I don’t feel “queer enough” and I don’t know how aces will be received (though the groups I’m interested in do explicitly say “LGBTQIA+”, I’m just not sure if that’s the organizers view and if the other participants will feel the same). Have you attended any type of queer meetups like this? What was your experience?

• Like 1
Sarah-Sylvia

Really seems to depend on the area. The little bit I attended one, they were very welcoming, including of allies even. While I've heard stories of it not being as great that some other people had for their experiences.

I live in California, and the ones I've attended have always been welcoming.

Gilphchen

I have been to roughly 4 in Missouri, one in Springfield, one in Kirksville, one in Kansas City, and another in Warrensburg. All of them were a bit cliquish and a tad uncomfortable. I definitely got the vibe that i wasn't queer enough to be there it felt like. Could just be a Missouri thing i guess. 

Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

I can't say that I've ever really attended an exclusively LGBT+/ or Queer group, but I've been in some very openly inclusive spaces. They tend to be positive experiences, but like any community there are some assholes and gatekeepers to make it a mixed bag experience overall.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Gilphchen said:

I have been to roughly 4 in Missouri, one in Springfield, one in Kirksville, one in Kansas City, and another in Warrensburg. All of them were a bit cliquish and a tad uncomfortable. I definitely got the vibe that i wasn't queer enough to be there it felt like. Could just be a Missouri thing i guess. 

I kinda got a similar vibe from the locals when I was working in St Louis. It definitely didn't seem to welcoming. 

The group here in NZ seem to be elusive. 

Lilibulero

In a previous location, the LGBTQ community were lovely, but in a layer one, very dismissive of ace identity. 

Depends on the culture in the area and the person ' in charge' of the group.

I'm also trying to break into my local queer scene in the hope of finding people who understand identity struggles. I've never been asked to declare my labels when walking into a group, so it hasn't come up yet.