New Moderators needed: Nominations

If you think you would be interested in being a moderator on AVEN, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring.

Candidates should only nominate themselves for one of the available forums and should make it clear in their nominate post which forum they are interested in.

Current forums available:

• Asexual Relationships
  • Just For Fun/AVEN Arcade
  • Tea and Sympathy
  • Open Mic
  • Philosophy, Politics and Science

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning.

To learn more about what a mod does, please see here:

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/125346-what-a-mod-does-updated/

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

You can run for only one office at a time.

Sunday, 8 May to Friday, 13 May: Nominations

Friday, 13 May to Monday, 16 May: Dedicated Q&A

Monday, 16 May to Saturday, 21 May: Voting

Edited by Janus the Fox
Formatting bugs, readability for Dark and Custom Themes
  • Like 4

:) If anyone who is thinking of running has questions about what it's like to be a moderator, I'd be willing to try to answer them, later (I'm just a bit, busy, today).

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, LeChat said:

:) If anyone who is thinking of running has questions about what it's like to be a moderator, I'd be willing to try to answer them, later (I'm just a bit, busy, today).

Same lol

• Like 2
TormentDubz

I'll answer any as well

• Like 2
Alaska Native Manitou

I would appreciate the opportunity to oversee Philosophy, Politics and Science.

• Like 11
Janus the Fox
6 hours ago, LeChat said:

Also, previous IT experience/tech wizardry isn't required, for mod positions.

Yeah the teams got me for that :P

• Like 3

I’ll throw a cuddly penguin into the ring for Open Mic 🐧🥰

• Like 10

How much time does one have to spend on moderation? Is it flexible?

What exactly will I end up doing as mod? Thanks!!

• Like 2

@A User Hi. Thanks, for your questions.

There's this link, if it helps.

What a Mod Does - updated - Site Info Center - Asexual Visibility and Education Network (asexuality.org)

:) Like it says, some forums are or become more busy than others, sometimes, so some Admods might have to spend more time than others, reading or checking threads in the forum(s) they moderate.

Admods, also, help discuss and vote on reports from all of the forums, not only the forum(s) they moderate. There's writing reports, drafting and sending nudges, warns, etc. There's, also, moving, locking threads, writing green reminders in threads about the TOS, etc.

Usually, it's recommended that Admods check in every day, and plan to spend, at least, an hour on these tasks. Yes; there is flexibility and time off is allowed. Admods, generally, notify staff about it, ahead of time, in order to let other Admods know they'll need other Admods to cover the forum(s) they moderate.

New mods/candidates only have to start off with one forum to moderate, now, instead of two.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think it's nice to see that others are interested.

• Like 8

Hi current mods.  I'm sure the answer varies widely, but what's the average length of time mods mod for?  Is it common for people to put in 3 months? 6 months? a year?

• Like 1

Good question. I'm not sure, but someone might be willing and able to take the time to work it out from this list:

Quick glance, it does seem to vary quite a bit. :) 

• Like 2

@pickles mcgee Hi! :) If you're wondering whether there's a minimum number of months expected for Admods to volunteer, there isn't. 

Looking at the list @daveb gave, I'd guess that the average among all moderators might be ten months. Of course, some Admods did less, like three months, and many did more than that, over a year.

It varies, depending on Admods' lives, schedules, etc. Some Admods volunteered for a few months, left, then, were able to come back and volunteer longer, for around a year.

:) I hope this helps answer your question.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Hi current mods.  I'm sure the answer varies widely, but what's the average length of time mods mod for?  Is it common for people to put in 3 months? 6 months? a year?

People volunteer for the best of reasons - but as John Lennon said 'Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans'. Things change, time may suddenly become a scarce commodity - for me, it's usually the week before an assignment is due and I panic 🤣. All I can say is just try it - if it doesn't suit or if your circumstances change, then it's not your fault. We're (mostly) a friendly bunch (as long as I keep taking the tablets ;) ) 

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

There's no real average, but would expect at least an hour a day.  Some do more, while some are already regularly here, may not feel more time is given for Staffing.

On a plus though... I've been somewhere in a staff group for over 4 years, AVEN Projects, DT, Mod, Admin.  2 Projects, including AVENues since 2018, DT for 2 years, Mod for over a year and about 6 Months as admin.

:) Last call for candidates to nominate themselves, before the Q and A starts...

• Like 1

*closes to start campaigns*

• Like 1