What are some of your favorite documentaries?

StarryNightAllAlone

I quite like social documentaries too, as well as more artistic documentary films.

Some of my favourites over the years are Grey Gardens (1975), Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988), Grizzly Man (2005), Behemoth (2015), The Salt of the Earth (2015), The Act of Killing (2012).

I also have extra space in my heart for alternative music documentaries, like Gimme Shelter (1970), The Decline of Western Civilization (1981), Another State of Mind (1984). Very much into punk as you might have gathered from the last two picks 😜

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, autumn blink said:

Sounds really interesting! I don't really know much about Cuba except for surface history. Would be cool to see what everyday has been for people there. Abandoned Netflix a few months ago though, might have to hoist the pirate flag for this one...

There's another one on there called The Cuba Libre Story which is worth checking out. It's a documentary on the backdrop of Cuba before, during and after Fidel Castro's revolution.

• Like 1

@autumn blink

Cuba is such a fascinating country 😁 I would love to go there some day. Nice rum too  🥃  But yeah. I can really recommend the documentary. It's also interesting to see how the picture quality improve over the decades, ending with 4k haha.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJazz said:

There's another one on there called The Cuba Libre Story which is worth checking out. It's a documentary on the backdrop of Cuba before, during and after Fidel Castro's revolution.

Oh, great! Maybe I'll make it a double feature!

Edit: Oh wait, that's a show isn't it? No matter. I have time :D 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JimmyJazz said:

Hmm... I might have seen that one too. Otherwise, I'll most likely watch it. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Samuel-W said:

@autumn blink

Cuba is such a fascinating country 😁 I would love to go there some day. Nice rum too  🥃  But yeah. I can really recommend the documentary. It's also interesting to see how the picture quality improve over the decades, ending with 4k haha.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be very an interesting travel destination on many levels!

• Like 1
On 5/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, daveb said:

Back in the day (pre-internet) I watched lots of Nat Geo documentaries on tv, shows like Connections, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, etc.

I'll watch anything with large wild cats.   Also documentaries about the current culture of various countries, and European history between the Roman years and 1700, and European art from pre-history to the present.  

• Like 1