Roe v Wade (no, this does not belong in the Hot Box)

Sarah-Sylvia
1 minute ago, Quest the Collie said:

So this has been a topic of great anxiety for me lately. Mostly because I see people expressing hateful or even violent rhetoric, and the world just seemed so ugly and stuff. I almost landed myself in the mental hospital, that's how great my distress was.
A growing sentiment, I've found, is that people feel those who hold certain views need to be "punished" via social isolation. As someone who grew up with a certain view but understands both sides and believes many on both sides genuinely want the best, I find it incredibly frustrating that there isn't more grace and allowance for nuance. I don't believe that being prochoice or being prolife should either be considered extremist views..... both bring up valid points. Imo.

I don't like extreme polarization either. It's not fun.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Quest the Collie said:

A growing sentiment, I've found, is that people feel those who hold certain views need to be "punished" via social isolation. As someone who grew up with a certain view but understands both sides and believes many on both sides genuinely want the best, I find it incredibly frustrating that there isn't more grace and allowance for nuance. I don't believe that being prochoice or being prolife should either be considered extremist views..... both bring up valid points. Imo.

The problem is that one group is trying to dictate to the other how they get to live.  This sort of situation is never going to allow for a "graceful" coexistence.

rainbowocollie
3 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

The problem is that one group is trying to dictate to the other how they get to live.  This sort of situation is never going to allow for a "graceful" coexistence.

I mean, I still associate with and love my friends and family who are against LGBTQ rights despite me being out as a lesbian now

I thought this post was about the merits of rowing in a stream or river versus wading in a stream or river. Imagine my surprise when I read it was about something political!😂

6 hours ago, Quest the Collie said:

I mean, I still associate with and love my friends and family who are against LGBTQ rights despite me being out as a lesbian now

That's cool for you, but most LGBTQ people are not willing to "associate" with a group that, historically speaking, has pretty much wanted them silenced, or even dead.  I know I wouldn't be, anyway.

rainbowocollie
13 hours ago, Philip027 said:

That's cool for you, but most LGBTQ people are not willing to "associate" with a group that, historically speaking, has pretty much wanted them silenced, or even dead.  I know I wouldn't be, anyway.

I just feel that cutting people off over differences in opinion creates extremists. But still associating with my homophobic family, I am helping to humanize queer people to them. Whereas if they don't know that they know any queer people, it's easy for them to view us as "other".

Perhaps it's different if they are actually advocating for violence against people, but to my knowledge none of my friends or family do and I've even spoken with them about how queer people are discriminated against and treated unfairly by those who claim Christ.

Someone Else

I don't get strongly close to someone these days unless their ethics are carefully vetted.   Too much heartache.