i do not know what is happening

i am a drug addict who has stopped using since February 16 2006

i remember before using i would feel mild sexual attraction towards females. during the beginning of my time using i had intercourse several times(4 times) each time losing more interest in sex. since being sober i have dated 2 girls and the first girl got offended that i would not have sex with her. the girl i am dating now i have had sex with but i no longer desire to have sex with her. i feel set off in the relationship.

i have been thinking off and on that i am asexual but i am not sure if it a trust issue or something cause by something that i have lived through. occasionally when i feel very close to someone emotionally i can feel slightly sexually attracted but this is very rare for me. other wise when i see a girl i see that i find her attractive but other than that i have no want for sex

i have a few questions:

could my drug habit kill my sex drive?

could a history of abuse as a child cause this?

Am I asexual?

what should i do in my current relationship? should i end it?

thanks for any feedback i receive

could my drug habit kill my sex drive?

could a history of abuse as a child cause this?

Am I asexual?

what should i do in my current relationship? should i end it?

thanks for any feedback i receive

1) I don't know what drugs you were on, but I am aware that heroin often kills sex drive, as do certain perscription drugs (such as anti-depressants). This may therefore have happened to you, and I suppose it is possible that it is still having this effect after coming off drugs, depending on what the drug was and whether it can cause lasting damage to brain chemistry.

2) Some experts think that negative sexual experience/perception can repress the sex drive, and it wouldn't surprise me if child abuse could have this effect.

3) You might be asexual. You say you were only mildly sexually interested before, so it sounds like at the very least you never felt strongly about having sex.

4) Difficult to say whether you should end your relationship. Depends I suppose on whether you think there is a good reason for being in it.

Hope this helps in some way or other.

thanks, it kinda helps but i think only time will tell

i have been reading a lot of q&a on here and a lot of other information.

i read that the painkillers that i took for a year or two kill sex drive but it is not a lasting side-effect(but that is only based upon recommended dosage). also i read what you mentioned about repressed sex drive, i believe that this may also be a factor because of some repressed feelings that i have not dealt with.

thank you for your help, i think i will stick around this place a little linger and listen in to what people have to say maybe find some others like me.

anymore feedback would be great

Congratulations on stopping using! That takes a lot of strength.

I also find people attractive, but have no interest whatsoever in having sex. I've never used drugs, nor have I been abused. So it's possible your lack of sex drive could just be that you're asexual.

On the other hand, the drugs could have caused side-effects that you're not yet over, and the abuse certainly could cause you to see sex as something destructive rather than enhancing to a relationship.

Have you been to your doctor to discuss the possible side-effects of your addiction, or seen a therapist over your abuse?

Perhaps doing that could help you to feel more confident in yourself and your sexuality, whatever that may be.

I wish you luck in your drug-free life! Have some :cake:

I have no answers to your questions but wanted to congratulate you on your sobriety. I'm proud of you, I hope you're proud of yourself.

thanks, maybe i should talk to someone. maybe it is a side effect

thank i will look into this

thank you very much for the replies