LETS TALK HEARTSTOPPER AND ALICE OSEMAN!

AroaceScriptette

AroaceScriptette

I know I am not the once aro and / or ace who is currently obsessed with heartsopper and Alice Oseman (their pronouns are she / they fyi)

I wanted to create a thread where we can talk about loveless (their novel about Gergia who goes to university set on finding romantic love but ends up learning about asexuality, aromanticism and the importance of platonic love) and Heartstopper (a series of graphic novels that are now also a netflix show exploring the characters of Nick and Charlie with lots of queer representation- trying to be as spoiler free as possible here 😂) or any of her other novellas / novels! 

That being said, there will probably be spoilers ahead so maybe read / listen / watch these 1st, then come onto this thread! Also, Oseman's books do have some darker themes and topics - for any trigger warnings, check out her website: https://aliceoseman.com/extras/content-warnings/

So anyway, below are some of my thoughts and feelings! 

Loveless: 

I have never read a book that has made me feel so seen and represented. it was so nice to have the recognition that platonic relationships are just as, if not more important than romantic ones! It's even more meaningful to me now that I know that Oseman is themselves aroace. The story of Georgia is so relatable to me. The book really took me back to when I would try and date people just to see if I could feel something or when I thought I was gay or pan or bi because if I am not attracted to the opposite sex, then surely I must be attracted to the same sex (right? 🙃). I have read lots of critiques about this book and how it shows a very single sided view of asexuality and aromanticism in that it is sex repulsed etc but I disagree. It would be impossible for Alice to write a story that matches everyone's experience of asexuality (and its not their job to!)

Heartstopper: 

It's so nice to have a happy queer love story! I am a huge fan of Love Simon and Love Victor and whilst these shows have elements of the sweet innocence heartatopper has, they also got very issues based and sad at times. Heartsopper is just joyous! Even when characters are going through something tough, it is presented in a way that doesn't necessarily make you cry tears of sadness (at least that's how I felt). 

Also Alice has confirmed that Isaac in the show is aroace and I NEED MORE OF HIS STORY IN SEASON 2 OKAY? He is an icon and an angel!

• Like 10
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

I just finished watching Heartstopper! I really liked it. 

• Like 4

omg I loved the show. I've read through the comics multiple times and seen the show three times already. After I finished it I started reading more of Alice Oseman's stuff and started with Radio Silence, which was so good. I'm reading I Was Born for This currently and I like it but not quite as much as Radio Silence. Next up is definitely Loveless which I'm sure I'll love. Reading Heartstopper has also got me reading other gay romance comics, the first of which has been "Check, Please!". I am a hockey fan but I haven't really enjoyed this too much, so now that I've finished the first volume I think I'll move onto Fence or Bloom. I also want to watch Love, Simon eventually but I have been rewatching other gay movies recently such as Call Me By Your Name (my favorite movie of all time) and Moonlight.

• Like 1
AroaceScriptette
5 minutes ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalAngel said:

I just finished watching Heartstopper! I really liked it. 

honestly I can't get over this show! 😍😭

• Like 2
nanogretchen4

Loveless was the best! Having an asexual character who is aromantic and sex repulsed is not single sided or stereotypical at all. Romantic and sex favorable asexuals are way overrepresented in novels with asexual protagonists, mainly because you can follow all the usual romance novel tropes including sex scenes. All you have to do is insert a stilted conversation where the asexual character defines microlabels and another conversation where the asexual character pauses in mid sex scene to clarify that just because they are having steamy sex in no way means that they are attracted to their partner. 

Having an aromantic asexual character requires actual creativity, especially if the endgame is not an exclusive longterm pairing between the protagonist and a sexual character. You have to figure out something else for the story to be about and focus on different types of relationships. That made the story so much more interesting to me.

Heartstopper was really cute. However, the central romance in Season One was between two sexual characters as far as I know, albeit queer sexual characters. I would really like to see Isaac's storyline fleshed out a lot. What are his goals and challenges? Does he know he is asexual and aromantic? What does he like to do besides sitting nearby reading a book during his friends' relationship drama?

It’s maddening to have so little spare time left because I refuse to watch Heartstopper until I’ve read it and have avoided Loveless spoilers like the plague -but I’ll probs get to them on the summer, so yay!

• Like 1

Firstly, heartstopper!!! Yay, it was amazing!!! Watched it twice this weekend and now reading it on webtoon and will get the books as soon as I force myself to finish reading the book I've currently been reading since last summer).

Secondly, was it only me (someone who's basically finally accepted themselves as aroace) who felt so saddened by the fact that no-one's ever gonna shout "in a romantic way, not just in a friend way" about me 😢 - sorry to put a downer on it but it's stuck in my mind!

I will reread Loveless as soon as possible to give myself some aroace positivity but for now I'm stuck with my love of heartstopper 🙃

• Like 1
AroaceScriptette
1 hour ago, Phi! said:

Secondly, was it only me (someone who's basically finally accepted themselves as aroace) who felt so saddened by the fact that no-one's ever gonna shout "in a romantic way, not just in a friend way" about me 😢 - sorry to put a downer on it but it's stuck in my mind!

🙃

okay but this is what I couldn't put into words but exactly how I felt. Like you, I'm so comfortable in being aroace but moments like this do sneak up on me and take me back a little to when I was 15 and working out everything. 

I'm hoping for season 2 so I can have some Isaac aroace content to contract the romance a little 💜💚 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AroaceScriptette said:

I'm hoping for season 2 so I can have some Isaac aroace content to contract the romance a little 💜💚 

Oh yes, I'm sure this will make things so much better! Just annoyed that they've yet to even confirm a season 2 !

On 5/3/2022 at 12:27 AM, AroaceScriptette said:

Loveless: 

I have never read a book that has made me feel so seen and represented.

This! I never thought I was missing out on asexual representation in literature until reading this. I've read novels with asexual characters before but this was a revelation.

Priestess de Mantinea
On 5/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Phi! said:

Firstly, heartstopper!!! Yay, it was amazing!!! Watched it twice this weekend and now reading it on webtoon and will get the books as soon as I force myself to finish reading the book I've currently been reading since last summer).

I will reread Loveless as soon as possible to give myself some aroace positivity but for now I'm stuck with my love of heartstopper 🙃

I read Loveless when it came out and loved it! I'm hearing good things now about the Netflix Heartstopper show but haven't seen it or read the books. I did read a review of the show saying it was very wholesome -- no sex, drugs, etc. Do you think the Heartstopper couple could still be asexual? Of course they're gay/bi when it comes to romantic orientation, but I'm curious to know if anything about having sex was even hinted at...because if it wasn't, then I see myself potentially watching the show and headcanoning them as a homoromantic/biromantic asexual couple!

^No mention of sex at all! As far as I know [not having read the graphic novels], everyone's ace. 

Speaking of the graphic novels, how many are there, and is the story complete? 

37 minutes ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalAngel said:

^No mention of sex at all! As far as I know [not having read the graphic novels], everyone's ace. 

Speaking of the graphic novels, how many are there, and is the story complete? 

Currently there are four physical novels for Heartstopper. But all pages are up on webtoons to read for free. The story is not complete and I believe Alice Oseman is currently taking a break from writing. They have just started to bring up to topic of sex in the comics though, but so far it's handled very well in my opinion!

Priestess de Mantinea
49 minutes ago, KeithRax said:

Currently there are four physical novels for Heartstopper. But all pages are up on webtoons to read for free. The story is not complete and I believe Alice Oseman is currently taking a break from writing. They have just started to bring up to topic of sex in the comics though, but so far it's handled very well in my opinion!

I just looked at webtoons and yeah, they seem to be getting intimate in the latest chapters but haven't actually had sex yet, correct? (So far just taking shirts off?) I just wish it could be a romantic asexual relationship with shirtless cuddles and kisses but no sex! Someone should make an alternative asexual fan version that diverges from the point where they have sex in the future haha. Can someone notify me please when the webcomic is updated and they do have sex? That way I will be prepared in advance. Thanks!

This is the tread I was wanting six months ago when I read Loveless! xD

It was actually my "life-changing" book that made me face, realize, and finally come out as asexual. As I read and learned about asexuality from Sunil, I was experiencing all the feels and revelations along with Georgia. It was a Very emotional week and a read accompanied with its share of tears. "It's a lot," to quote the book. I'm not aro though, so our experiences weren't quite the same. Nonetheless, I am eternally grateful to Alice Oseman and Loveless. 

And Heartstoppers is just adorable. I am currently reading volume 4, which gets heavy on mental health, and brings us close to the timeline for Solitaire, which I also really enjoyed and Tori is pretty great.

VERY excited to read Radio Silence next, at some point hopefully in the near future. Aled : ) I was devastated that Aled was replaced in the show by Isaac, but after reading about Alice's reasoning for Aled's timeline not matching up, I could accept. That also brings me hope that live-action Aled and Tori stories will happen. *hopeful subdued squeal* 

On 5/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, KeithRax said:

other gay romance comics, the first of which has been "Check, Please!". I am a hockey fan but I haven't really enjoyed this too much, so now that I've finished the first volume I think I'll move onto Fence or Bloom.

Check, Please! I really enjoyed this series, and I am not a hockey fan. It surprised me how much I got attached to this one, and it's all because of the characters. I am sad you are thinking of quitting. The second volume is much better. AH THE CHARACTERS!! ;_ ; Please at least give volume 2 a try. It builds on and continues what volume one creates as a foundation. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Merani said:

This is the tread I was wanting six months ago when I read Loveless! xD

It was actually my "life-changing" book that made me face, realize, and finally come out as asexual. As I read and learned about asexuality from Sunil, I was experiencing all the feels and revelations along with Georgia. It was a Very emotional week and a read accompanied with its share of tears. "It's a lot," to quote the book. I'm not aro though, so our experiences weren't quite the same. Nonetheless, I am eternally grateful to Alice Oseman and Loveless. 

And Heartstoppers is just adorable. I am currently reading volume 4, which gets heavy on mental health, and brings us close to the timeline for Solitaire, which I also really enjoyed and Tori is pretty great.

VERY excited to read Radio Silence next, at some point hopefully in the near future. Aled : ) I was devastated that Aled was replaced in the show by Isaac, but after reading about Alice's reasoning for Aled's timeline not matching up, I could accept. That also brings me hope that live-action Aled and Tori stories will happen. *hopeful subdued squeal* 

Check, Please! I really enjoyed this series, and I am not a hockey fan. It surprised me how much I got attached to this one, and it's all because of the characters. I am sad you are thinking of quitting. The second volume is much better. AH THE CHARACTERS!! ;_ ; Please at least give volume 2 a try. It builds on and continues what volume one creates as a foundation. 

Radio Silence is amazing! That was the first Alice Oseman novel I read after heartstopper and I adored it. I had the same feelings about Aled, but Isaac seems to mostly replace him, and if (hopefully) there is a season 2, Alice has sad he will have more of a story. I also finished I Was Born for This, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Loveless is for sure next for me, I think I'll start it tonight.

I loved Bloom which was another comic I read, and would definitely recommend. I also already had Check Please! volume 2 purchased so I'll try it out again! :)

• Like 2
19 hours ago, KeithRax said:

I loved Bloom which was another comic I read, and would definitely recommend. I also already had Check Please! volume 2 purchased so I'll try it out again! :)

Luckily, the library I work at has a copy of Bloom. I've noticed the thick spine many times but always passed over it. I'll give it a read soon. Thanks for the recommendation! 

• 3 weeks later...
TheNoPrincess

I want to check out Loveless I never heard of this author before until now, I heard a lot about Heartstopper I haven't watched  it I may watch it I don't know yet. 

Hi! I'm new to AVEN but so happy to have found this thread!!

I binged all of Heartstopper in one day and am beyond words happy that it's been approved for two more seasons. I can't wait to see more aspec representation, and Alice has said they have big plans for Isaac. 

But Loveless!!! This book has me feeling all the feels. I started questioning my sexuality just over a year ago, and honestly it could have happened so much sooner if I hadn't been repressing it. Like, there were signs all along that I shoved away and ignored. Anyhow, I finally came to terms with not being straight and started to accept myself and try to learn more. I didn't know anything about asexuality until quite recently (shoutout to youtuber Lynn Saga) and everything just clicked. Reading Loveless has been the most emotional and validating experience ever. I rarely get emotional with books, but this one just hit so close to home. I'm not aromantic, but everything else about Georgia resonated with me in a way nothing else has. I mean, it touched me enough to make an account on AVEN so I could participate in this thread :) I don't know of any other ace folks in my community, and although I've gotten a lot better at loving myself and my identity, sometimes it feels very lonely being ace. Loveless makes me feel not alone, even though they are fictional characters. And maybe that's why I wanted to post here. Just to say I am ace and I exist and I am not alone because this forum is full of people like me geeking out together about fictional characters like us. 

Anyway, I love Alice Oseman's work and I'm so happy to see others that do too. 

• Like 3

Two more seasons! Hooray!

• Like 1

Just finished heartstopper for the seventh time ( read the books twice each )

I haven't read loveless yet because I don't want to explain it to my parents-

But...

I love tara and darcy so much and KIZZY oh my gosh they are so bloody amazing if you have instagram look at their posts they are gorgeous.

3 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalAngel said:

Two more seasons! Hooray!

I know so exciting!!!

• 1 month later...

i just finished loveless, and omg I feel so many things (most of all, feeling represented finally!). i borrowed the ebook from the library, then decided to buy it when I was 3/4 the way through, just bc alice oseman deserves my money, and also i wanted a copy so i could highlight all the times i felt the exact same thing georgia did. there are sooo many highlights. 😂 as mentioned on another thread for loveless, i was jealous that georgia had such a good friend group. i've had good friends my whole life, but never that One Person who is my bff before all others. and as someone in her late 30s, i'm also dealing with friends who have spouses/kids to pay attention to. loooooved roony's line about georgia always being her number one, even if she gets married/has kids. not sure how true it is, but the sentiment was lovely. luckily, i do have friends who let me talk to them about any of my dumb shit, so i don't feel alone. (i'm always on the lookout for more friends, though! esp ace/aro ones.)

heartstopper (show and comics) is so cute and charming and fun when you need a lift up. i'd read that isaac might be aroace, so i'm glad alice has confirmed that. hoping to see that get addressed in s2.

radio silence was my first alice oseman book, and i adore it. even though it didn't go into detail of aled probably being demi, the simple fact that the book is about a platonic romance of sorts is amazing. i love it. i need to buy the physical book, bc again, alice deserves all my money. ;) 

i need to read solitaire

• Like 4

I hope to get around to reading Loveless one of these days.  The reviews on Amazon are good.

MinnieMouse

'Loveless' is, so far, my favorite fiction where asexuality and aromanticism are represented. Alice Oseman is an amazing storyteller and both the characters and the story itself felt realistic. I've just finished reading all episodes of 'Heartstopper' on WebToon and love it! It's so romantic and the story is engaging even for me as a 35 year old. I haven't seen the Netflix show yet, but I surely will. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

LOVELESS!!! It made me feel so seen, in a way I never had before. Georgia is just like me in soooo many ways. She's the character I relate to most in the whole world now. I decided to read it like right when I started questioning if I was ace, and it really helped me come to accept myself. 

HEARTSTOPPER!!! I watched it like 3 times. It's so cute. I might be aro (maybe demiro?), but I love a cute love story. Can't wait for more. And I can't wait for the promised ace rep!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

You all are my people. I LOVE HEARTSTOPPER.

And LOVELESS! So Heartshatteringly relatable. I found out it existed Monday evening, and since I had the day off - bought it and read it by the end of the day Tuesday. I have NEVER related to a character in the way I related to Georgia. The scenes in my real life may not have been an exact replica of the scenes in Georgia, but the parallels are so unreal. I adore this book so much. 

I honestly just wish I had a Sunil, heard the term asexual before my last semester of college, and was able to have more of the experience she ends up having at university. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I am working on discovering/accepting my own aroaceness in college and really want to read the book, but for some reason it makes me kind of nervous. I feel like it might help to have a protagonist dealing with the same thing I am, but it also might be hard to read. What did everyone think, and should I read it?

• Like 1
AstrophelDragon

It was kind of hard to read, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't read it. It can definitely help you understand and accept yourself, it's just a bit of a painful journey to get to that point

AlmightySeaOtter

If you read it, keep in mind that it really only presents one specific instance of the asexual experience. If you, for whatever reason, don't relate much to the protagonist, that doesn't make you less ace.

• Like 3
MaryInTheMists

There were a lot of scenes particularly in the first half of the book that hit so closely to my own experiences that it was hard to read and I ended up putting it down for a couple of months. I eventually picked it up again...and then didn't finish reading it because the story just wasn't for me, but it was nice to see my experiences represented.