Broken English

StHemingway

There's a Parker Posey film coming out on DVD in a few weeks called Broken English (Zoe Cassavetes, 2007), and I think it's possible to read her character as asexual.

Plot synopsis from IMDB:

Nora Wilder is freaking out. Everyone around her is in a relationship, is married, or has children. Nora is in her thirties, alone with job she's outgrown and a mother who constantly reminds her of it all. Not to mention her best friend Audrey's "perfect marriage". But after a series of disastrous dates, Nora unexpectedly meets Julien, a quirky Frenchman who opens her eyes to a lot more than love.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772157/combined

I don't want to talk too much about the plot and character development details because I highly recommend this film (especially for Parker Posey fans but also to anyone interested in "mainstreamed" indie films a la The Garden State, The Day Trippers, or Before Sunrise). I do want to say, though, that given the struggles of Parker Posey's character and the overall theme, I think it's possible to read her as being a romantic asexual.

Archived