Jump to content

How much storage are you using in your computer drive?


AVENites and computer drive storage  

30 members have voted

  1. 1. How much are used space in your computer?

    • Less than 1 GB
      1
    • 1 GB
      0
    • 5 GB
      0
    • 25 GB
      1
    • 50 GB
      0
    • 100 GB
      3
    • 200 GB
      2
    • 300 GB
      4
    • 400 GB
      3
    • 500 GB
      3
    • 600 GB
      0
    • 700 GB
      0
    • 800 GB
      0
    • 900 GB
      0
    • 1 TB
      4
    • 1.5 TB
      2
    • 2+ TB
      3
    • Other
      3
    • N/A
      1
    • None
      0


Recommended Posts

A poll to discuss how much storage are you using in your computer drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ashmedai

My OS is on a 450gb M.2 drive, which only is using about 76GB of space at the moment. Got another 1TB M.2 drive for my steam library and any other games, of which 240GB is being used. Got a final 1TB SSD as a junk drive in which 740GB is being used

Link to post
Share on other sites
ElloryJaye

Somewhere between 2TB and 3TB across 5 drives with ~8TB of space between them.  Main system and all non-game programs fit in ~20GB, though, so most of it is data storage, virtual disks for VMs, and so on.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Zagadka

C: (Windows, documents, photos): 126 / 250

D: (everything else): 429 / 500

 

Cloud backups: 89

Local backup: 1250 / 2000

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ceebs

No idea, absolutely no clue whatsoever. I hardly ever use it and can't be arsed to turn it on just to check the storage space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme

1 TB drive and 1 TB cloud, if I'm not wrong. My computer is two years old, if it changes something.

 

4 hours ago, Telecaster85 said:

can't be arsed to turn it on just to check the storage space.

Same here at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

It's one of those laptops that's running windows on the specs of basically a Chromebook, so I only have something like 64gb or 128gb of memory. I don't put much on it, it's mostly an internet browser with a keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
uniQChick

178 GB of stuff that I may never use! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kimchi Peanut

I don’t have a computer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers

Hard Drive 1:

SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive

 

Hard Drive 2:

Samsung 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive

 

Hard Drive 3:

Western Digital Black NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive

 

Hard Drive 4:

Crucial BX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT200

 

Hard Drive 5:

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB SATA

 

Hard Drive 6:

 Western Digital Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA

 

For a total of 7.5TB across the board... :)

 

The SSDs are all game drives, then one of the magnetic disks is a drive for music and the other for anime, shows and movies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got five to seven hundred giggity gigs of nothing but 3d models on the primary drive and an almost empty secondary terrabyte drive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
6 minutes ago, E said:

I've got five to seven hundred giggity gigs of nothing but 3d models on the primary drive and an almost empty secondary terrabyte drive.

That should be sufficient for your art needs.

 

I tell you these days, they're making games bigger and bigger, and that is why I have all those SSDs lol. I prefer to have multiple games installed at the same time, rather than deleting and re-downloading all the time. You know what I mean @E ?

 

Edit: Speaking of which I wanna get a 2TB SSD for my PS5, the space available on the PS5 is laughable, they say 1TB but only like 600 GB is available. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Calliers said:

That should be sufficient for your art needs.

 

I tell you these days, they're making games bigger and bigger, and that is why I have all those SSDs lol. I prefer to have multiple games installed at the same time, rather than deleting and re-downloading all the time. You know what I mean @E ?

 

Ran into that problem a while ago with my old Xbone. We seem to be hitting the ceiling where games can use an incredible amount of space because models and textures and everything else is bloating in complexity but hard drive space is slowing down. When I had the xbox 360 with a 500gb hard drive I was like, "How the fuck will I ever fill this when most games don't even hit 1gb?" 1TB xbone and I download Halo 5 on launch and watch like 150gb dissappear. I think a part of it is optimization for many games. Because of production times and all the rush many games are poorly optimized these days.

 

I think I have most bases covered for models in terms of shapes and structures, but this number keeps going up as every now and then I find a model that's unique. Even with singular game models I've seen data space go up over the years. A decent looking model used to be around 14 to 30 mb. Mid teir textures. Now they average 80-200 mb.

 

I think eventually the old philosophy of less is more will circle back around as we run out of hard drive space and devs need to crunch and pack everything again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers

Ooops, double post..... :blush:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
7 minutes ago, E said:

 

Ran into that problem a while ago with my old Xbone. We seem to be hitting the ceiling where games can use an incredible amount of space because models and textures and everything else is bloating in complexity but hard drive space is slowing down. When I had the xbox 360 with a 500gb hard drive I was like, "How the fuck will I ever fill this when most games don't even hit 1gb?" 1TB xbone and I download Halo 5 on launch and watch like 150gb dissappear. I think a part of it is optimization for many games. Because of production times and all the rush many games are poorly optimized these days.

 

I think I have most bases covered for models in terms of shapes and structures, but this number keeps going up as every now and then I find a model that's unique. Even with singular game models I've seen data space go up over the years. A decent looking model used to be around 14 to 30 mb. Mid teir textures. Now they average 80-200 mb.

 

I think eventually the old philosophy of less is more will circle back around as we run out of hard drive space and devs need to crunch and pack everything again.

Funny thing is a 2TB SSD isn't that expensive for console manufacturers to add, the reason they don't add one however is because the business model for consoles is sell the console at a loss then make profits on the attach fees when someone buys peripherals and games for that console, so basically they try to cut as many corners as they can to make the console as cheap as they possibly can.... 😕 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme

The disk in my laptop is SSD and for the first time I have no complaints.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
Just now, alsjeblieft said:

The disk in my laptop is SSD and for the first time I have no complaints.

Yeah having an SSD is the shit, of course you have to make sure you install your OS on one too, so if you don't have enough for a large SSD, just buy a cheap 256GB or 512GB SSD then install Windows to them then you can use a cheaper magnetic drive for storage, or at least a SSHD.... (Solid State Hybrid Drive which is sort of an in between between an SSD and a magnetic drive, no where near as fast as an actual SSD but better than a regular magnetic drive). :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme
10 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Yeah having an SSD is the shit, of course you have to make sure you install your OS on one too, so if you don't have enough for a large SSD, just buy a cheap 256GB or 512GB SSD then install Windows to them then you can use a cheaper magnetic drive for storage, or at least a SSHD.... (Solid State Hybrid Drive which is sort of an in between between an SSD and a magnetic drive, no where near as fast as an actual SSD but better than a regular magnetic drive). :)

these things don't really need to be explained to me :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
3 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

these things don't really need to be explained to me :lol:

Oh no, that wasn't for you, it was more of a PSA really. 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
TestingInProd
  • I think something like 7TB is portable drives. Most of this is raw video footage that really needs to be backed up somewhere.
  • 3TB in my desktop (~2TB actually used)
    • These are across a couple of 500GB M.2 drives and a 2TB HDD.
  • 1TB in my laptop (no idea...but I don't keep anything here I actually care about)
  • 7.5TB on a server (~.5TB actually used)
    • 500GB M.2 drive and 7TB in HDDs.
  • 250GB on a second server (only like 30GB used here)
  • If we really want to be thorough my OPNsense router is using ~16GB of 100GB.
  • About 800GB backed up to BorgBase
  • Another ~100GB backed up into S3

I think that's everything.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
3 minutes ago, TestingInProd said:
  • I think something like 7TB is portable drives. Most of this is raw video footage that really needs to be backed up somewhere.
  • 3TB in my desktop (~2TB actually used)
    • These are across a couple of 500GB M.2 drives and a 2TB HDD.
  • 1TB in my laptop (no idea...but I don't keep anything here I actually care about)
  • 7.5TB on a server (~.5TB actually used)
    • 500GB M.2 drive and 7TB in HDDs.
  • 250GB on a second server (only like 30GB used here)
  • If we really want to be thorough my OPNsense router is using ~16GB of 100GB.
  • About 800GB backed up to BorgBase
  • Another ~100GB backed up into S3

I think that's everything.

Look at you flexing.... 😎

 

I also have a Sandisk flash drive with 128GB on it and a Sony flash drive with 4GB on it as well as 128GB on my Samsung S21 FE 5G so there! :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme

thinking of buying an external SSD for storing all my photos, I have one on my mind. Today is a bank holiday, so maybe tomorrow.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
12 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

thinking of buying an external SSD for storing all my photos, I have one on my mind. Today is a bank holiday, so maybe tomorrow.

Why not just order online? You prefer to actually go to the store and have it right then and there eh? :P

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme
43 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Why not just order online? You prefer to actually go to the store and have it right then and there eh? :P

obviously, I can't imagine staying in one place when i can go out :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
uniQChick
16 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

obviously, I can't imagine staying in one place when i can go out :lol:

That's the way to go! Touch/see it before paying, cause you don't want someone else return. ;)

In addition to that you are exercising and meeting people you don't want to see. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Calliers
15 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

That's the way to go! Touch/see it before paying, cause you don't want someone else return. ;)

In addition to that you are exercising and meeting people you don't want to see. :lol:

I used to hate the wait whenever I ordered something online, now I actually enjoy it, I basically enjoy just knowing that I have something cool in the mail on the way, it makes me look forward to it! :D

 

It's also taught me to temper my instant gratification and become more frugal with money and become more patient. ^_^

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
godverdomme
7 hours ago, uniQChick said:

That's the way to go! Touch/see it before paying, cause you don't want someone else return. ;)

In addition to that you are exercising and meeting people you don't want to see. :lol:

That's what I love, to be honest :D not really meeting people I don't want to see, but all the rest :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

my OS storage is 921 Gb of which i am using apparently 123 gb and have 797 gb free

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
PhoenixGhostie

115GB, 22GB of which are dedicated solely to 4 years worth of memes and 1.5GB dedicated to a 2 year old minecraft world download from an old server I played on with friends. These are my priorities, at least electronically. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TestingInProd
59 minutes ago, PhoenixGhostie said:

4 years worth of memes

How do you have this organized? I really need to start a collection of my own.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...