Is there a place more active than here?

Peachtree

Hello. I have "surfed" here for awhile now. Is there anyplace on this site that is more active? There are only a few posts a month on here and I would like to chat sometimes. I love that there is a place for older asexuals to vent...I am 56...but I want to talk to people who are on here more often. Anyplace you can recommend? Peachtree

Hello. I have "surfed" here for awhile now. Is there anyplace on this site that is more active? There are only a few posts a month on here and I would like to chat sometimes. I love that there is a place for older asexuals to vent...I am 56...but I want to talk to people who are on here more often. Anyplace you can recommend? Peachtree

Lack of posts doesn't mean people aren't on often..just means they aren't saying anything much in THIS forum...

So talk away..:)

roddy

There are lots of other forums and the older members do pop in there now and then. It's up to you where you might want to go. There's a lot of general discussion that goes on elsewhere, just not related specifically to older asexuals.

I would have to consider myself one of the "older" asexuals, but I spend most of my time in Off-A. I also visit Musings and Rantings fairly often, as well as all of the other forums. In fact, the only ones that I don't visit on a regular basis are the foreign language forum and Just for Fun.

You can pop in anyplace at all. I know of several older members who have never once posted in this forum.

-GB

I suppose I'm an older asexual...never really think of age! I stick my nose in everywhere. There are some really interesting topics out there, and some great humour in JFF too!

Join us!

I second Roddy; just start a thread, since probably plenty of us view the post of the last 24 hours, we should be prepared to jump in.

Hi. This is peachtree. Glad to see that there are really people out there reading the posts and ready to give some good advice. Now I don't feel so alone. I will continue to log in and read and lurk in the background of "older asexuals".........maybe even, occassionally saying something. Thank you for having a forum for us.

Hi

I was wondering the same thing: Older newbie wondering how many others there are, and what/where they are posting.

It would just be good to know if there are folks that share the same experiences and issues --those that might be more age specific.

Thanks ...

Freed_Spirit

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: for kg Welcome to AVEN!!!

What the other guys said - just pop in, start a topic. I tend to hang out in the Welcome Lounge, Asexy relationships and Sexual partners forumiae.

Hello,

Another older newbie. Just wanted to say Hi.

Hi Hammerhead. i Like your username.

My Avatar is a "LandShark": A "Fish Out of Water" so to speak. :-)

Created it years ago for an animaton project. (I used to be a CDROM producer/progammer back in the day...the era of "Freak Show" from Voyager company).

Thanks for posting.

Hi kg,

A LandShark? Hate to see that thing heading in my direction. :)

My Avatar refers to my username. Hammerhead is an aerobatic manuever where you go straight up and then straight down. The picture is of popluar air show pilot Patty Wagstaff flying her Extra 300 (pant pant drool drool, the plane not Patty). She's at the top of the Hammerhead, kind of skidding thru it. Normally that's not done but airshow pilots tend to exaggerate manuevers to wow the crowd.

Yay for aerobatics!

I love to watch airshows of all kinds, but it's been ages since I've seen one.

Okay ... random movie trivia for Hammerhead:

Have you ever seen the film, "Cloud Dancer"?

I thought it mostly sucked as a movie, but the flying scenes were pretty cool and made it worth watching, at least in my opinion.

-GB

I live next to an airforce base. Every year there is an airshow, and the jets usually fly right over my house-- which tends to send the cats into the basement, and me out to my yard. Seeing jets that close -- roaring by -- sure gets the blood pumping.

KG

I used to make a regular weekly journey past Lincoln, where the Red Arrows are based. Most mornings we were treated to a "rehearsal" by them.

When a child I also lived near an RAF station and spent summer afternoons watching Lincoln bombers practice low-flying and "feathering" engines..

Where I live now we are regularly overflown at low-level by pairs of A10's (I think they are..)...

Most memorable though was in London..when the office block I worked in was overflown at extremely low-level (or so it seemed) by a Vulcan..magnificent machine!

roddy

I agree with everyone who's said that this forum may not be posted in (to/on???) a lot, but we do pop in. There are many interesting threads on the general board and it all deoends on what your taste is and whethter you like to enter debates (which can get heated now and again). Please feel free to jump in, you aren't restricted to this forum.

I worked at Kineton and the RAF used to play pilots at least once a week, using our railway line as a 'bombing run', we're sure they were lower than the regulation feet, but never did have time to get their reg. THey always flew over in a group of four, Hercules always came in threes. Helicopters also visited regularly either to pick up supplies or practice 'hovering', with people jumping out and climbing back in - we always kniew when the Chinooks were around, they ake one heck of a racket!

I once saw Concorde 002 fly and at the same airshow, they had some Harriers (before they went into service)..but the most memorable sight was visiting the Liverpool Garden Festival where they had one of the Gemini capsules and we were allowed to look inside.

*Sorry, forgot to welcome you and offer some :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: :mrgreen: *

Okay ... random movie trivia for Hammerhead:

Have you ever seen the film, "Cloud Dancer"?

-GB

Sorry I've never seen that movie.

I live next to an airforce base. Every year there is an airshow, and the jets usually fly right over my house-- which tends to send the cats into the basement, and me out to my yard. Seeing jets that close -- roaring by -- sure gets the blood pumping.

KG

Sounds like the yearly airshow at Westover ARB. Never been to it but I did see one of those huge C5 Galaxies land there while I was flying over the airport. Hard to believe something that big can get airborne.

Most memorable though was in London..when the office block I worked in was overflown at extremely low-level (or so it seemed) by a Vulcan..magnificent machine! roddy

Rumour has it that there's a Vulcan at a local airfield, it apparently needs a shorter runway to land than take off, and Wellsbourne isn't long enough for take off - so it's stranded and, of course, it's far too big to transport by road (especially the roads around there that are probably narrower than the fuselage)

Actually, these were F18 fighters (I think)... So close to me they seemed to tip the tall trees. First time I heard them, I heard them get closer and closer and -- it scared the living daylights out of me. It got really loud.

Post 911 new folks have been known to cry (scared 'em too).

But when I was growing up in Pittsburgh I lived next door to a major airforce base and they had those HUGE military cargo props taking off and landing. Man. I could see the trail of smog and count the rivets in the wing.

I used to be able to tell what time it was by what sort of engines they were testing in the morning. If I heard a long low drone, I had at lest two more hours to go. They tested the big engines at 3 AM. I associated it with a comforting, warm and fuzzy noise.

Rumour has it that there's a Vulcan at a local airfield, it apparently needs a shorter runway to land than take off, and Wellsbourne isn't long enough for take off - so it's stranded and, of course, it's far too big to transport by road (especially the roads around there that are probably narrower than the fuselage)

No..it just hasn't regained its airworthyness cert yet. It was going to take part in the Falklands fly-past...

...just snooping around over here a bit as a newbie older asexual, and what did I find? Aviation enthusiasts! :D Cool!

I just hafta honor this serendipity by sharing the words to one of my flying songs--written in 1995.

Aerobatic Chiropractic

by osito

My back went pop! on a windy day

As the leaves went skitterin' `round;

I took a break, put down my rake,

Crept in and lay right down;

But it seized up bad; a week's gone by;

The pain is killin' me;

I see this chiropractic ad;

Says, `first two sessions free';

In my frugal, frazzled state that seems

A pretty good deal to me.

Here's the perfect spot in the parking lot;

Here's a Porsche right next to me;

Got a red-and-white sunburst bumper sticker sayin',

`My other car's an S-2B';

I've got no clue; the Porsche is blue;

I turn and limp on in;

I'm greeted by a big grizzled guy

With a little impish grin;

He says, "my treatment is unique;

Lie down and let's begin".

Well, he chatters in chiropractic-ese

As he feels along my spine,

Says, "ligaments torn and cartilage worn;

We'll get this all in line;

I guarantee you by tonight

Your back'll be of no concern;

What you need first is an English bunt,

Then a push to a hammerhead turn".

I'm thinkin' they're

Rolfing terms or wrestling moves;

It isn't a surprise to me

Till he puts his finger on a map,

Says "be here at half past three";

When I stammer "why?", he winks his eye,

Says, "don't worry, it'll be OK;

You've got nothing to lose", so I find my shoes,

Limp out and drive away;

I'm pale with dread, have a giddy head,

But I go there anyway.

There's a sky-blue Porsche by the hangar door,

There's sweat upon my brow;

The biplane shimmers in the sun;

He says, "put this parachute on now";

"Yow, Doc, I really hate to fly;

I shoulda told you this before";

"I'll fix that too, and tomorrow you'll

Be desperate for more".

My mind was numb when he strapped me down;

Could I have heard him right?

He said we'd do a sequence of

Outside, inverted flight;

"Oh no!", I cry, "I'm gonna die!";

He laughs and says "hang on!";

Blood is rushing in my ears;

The world below is gone.

No mortal can survive this ride;

It's got to be a dream;

He's talking chiropractic-ese,

I'm choking back a scream;

He says "lomcovak" and "sacroiliac";

The sky goes throbbing red;

My lumbar disks all decompress,

And then they're made of lead,

And all the while these tiny bells

Are ringing in my head;

I've got to stay awake or I

am gonna wake up dead.

Then my back goes crack! and the grey goes black,

And I come to upside down;

The green earth where I long to be

Is whirling `round and `round;

He says "now we're in an inverted spin;

Just count and meditate";

I get to twenty-two, and he pulls it through

To an outside Cuban eight.

Well, I know that I am gonna die,

But I know it's gonna take a while;

Part of me still wants to scream,

And part just wants to smile;

When he rolls that airplane right side up,

Says "that's it for today",

Above my chin is a silly grin,

And my pain has gone away.

Now chiropractors claim the spine

Is the residence of the soul;

My daily aerobatic fix

Has made me sane and whole;

But I've never raked those leaves again;

To this I must confess;

I sold my house and bought myself--

Go on and make a guess--

I keep my spine in line just fine

With my little S-1S.

I never saw Cloud Dancer; I would like to but haven't succeeded in finding it. I hear the akro scenes are superb even though the plot is hokey.

Thanks to you all for being here and making me feel at home!

osito (CFI and spin doc) :wink:

Landsharks- cool!

I invented landwhales a looong time ago ("In Winter We Hunt Landwhals")

but they were food - landshark looks like predator-

I'm not sure we're

designed as a chat site, but I am sure- if necessary- Tanwen? - this could be arranged?

Cheers, all-

Welcome back Islander9...yes, there is a chatroom but I have the link on my AOL, unfortunately it isn't speaking to me at the moment...maybe later in the day. I'll post soon as I can.

Tan

Hi osito and Welcome.

I loved the song and found it ironic because I'm dealing with a back problem right now, herniated disk L4.

You're a CFI? Cool! In your song you make a couple references to Pitts. Is that what you fly? I own a Super Decathlon. Love doing those inverted spins.

Every tiem I see your name,kg, I think of kilogramme, surely not the right connection... :)

Being American, I don't as easily make that connection. But you are right. I think of it as "cagey".

Ah well. I am not rotund. But KG is better than KEG, an unforttnate accident of birth, and not something I would wish to put on monogrammed towels. (For example)

Archived