2. 2. How often do you drink

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Not often
    • I’ve only drank once or twice before
    • Ive never drank
    • I used to drink, but now I don’t

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm definitely a fan of alcohol, but don't drink it all the time so I'm a real lightweight.  My favorite thing to drink is a good, flavorful margarita.  I'm not a fan of the taste of alcohol in general, but I quite enjoy it if it's mixed with something else tasty.  It's the same way I feel about coffee, and the reason I can only drink things like lattes and not straight coffee.

• Like 2

Funny how I'm replying to this poll while drinking a glass of white wine. 
By the way, I kinda like everything, but I'd say I prefer cocktails first, and then wine/beer. The only thing I cannot handle/like is tequila.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, vin3g4r said:

Funny how I'm replying to this poll while drinking a glass of white wine. 
By the way, I kinda like everything, but I'd say I prefer cocktails first, and then wine/beer. The only thing I cannot handle/like is tequila.

Red wine is to die for! ^_^

This is my favorite, Four Cousins Natural Sweet Red:

1023939-7e09465ea9ba4bb0b3dd2583a56cd76f

Blue eyes white dragon
On 4/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, bare_trees said:

It's the same way I feel about coffee, and the reason I can only drink things like lattes and not straight coffee.

thats interesting lol, I like both like the straight coffee and the taste of the alcohol and am not big on sweet drinks lol

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Red wine is to die for! ^_^

This is my favorite, Four Cousins Natural Sweet Red:

1023939-7e09465ea9ba4bb0b3dd2583a56cd76f

Never tried it! I don't think it's available where I live, I'll ask my sister (she's a oenology student).

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, vin3g4r said:

Never tried it! I don't think it's available where I live, I'll ask my sister (she's a oenology student).

If you are in the U.S. you can find it here, it is a very good inexpensive South African red wine:

https://southafricanwineusa.net/shop/single-bottles/wines/four-cousins-naturally-sweet-red/

The Sword
On 4/30/2022 at 5:03 PM, alsjeblieft said:

It somewhat seems like a luck to live in a country where there's no such thing as legal drinking age.

Isn't it 16, just like on our side of the border?! Or is that just for purchasing alcohol, but not drinking it?

Either way, as for the bonus question... nothing is better than mead, whether from pure honey or from honey/cherry juice blend. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, The Sword said:

Or is that just for purchasing alcohol, but not drinking it?

That's it. As far as my knowledge goes, here in Flanders it's 16 for anything below 22% and 18 for anything stronger.

Spoiler

Wait, you live in Belgium, too? Depends on where, seems that both sides have their own rules on some things :ph34r:

• Like 1
The Sword
23 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

That's it. As far as my knowledge goes, here in Flanders it's 16 for anything below 22% and 18 for anything stronger.

Hide contents

Wait, you live in Belgium, too? Depends on where, seems that both sides have their own rules on some things :ph34r:

No, not in Belgium. Across the national border to the East. (German, with a lot of Dutch ancestry a few generations back :)

• Like 1
SpaceDustbin

I don't drink a lot or often, but I do like the occasional glass of port (channeling my inner old lady :lol:), g&t or some other cocktails. Or white beer, but the alcohol free versions are pretty good these days, so in that case I stick to alcohol free

• Like 1
Skycaptain

Yep, - yeast ,hips and malt make water drinkable 😋😋

• Like 2

Have you been drunking, Sky? :lol: 

What you said is literally true though, at least in times and places. Historically, beers, including "small beer", were sometimes used when potable water might not be readily available.

I got in trouble once as a kid when I drank some beer at an off-road motorcycle event my dad dragged us to. I couldn't find any water. I really am not into beer and never liked the taste, but it was the only thing they seemed to have readily available at that event. I don't recall exactly how old I was when that happened, but it was single digits. They really should have made sure there was ready access to water, at least.

• Like 2
AltairNox

For cocktails I would prefer a gin hash🍹

Beer would be a raspberry Crabbie’s🍻

And wine would be an asti 🍾

I don't like the taste of alcohol and see no reason to acquire one.

I've tried drinking a few times in the past, and got tipsy once by accident, and those experiences were enough to convince me that I wasn't missing anything.

Thankfully no one has pressured me, though I'm still really self-conscious whenever I order juice at a bar. (I'm not a fan of soda either.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Morays said:

though I'm still really self-conscious whenever I order juice at a bar.

Maybe you could find some non-alcoholic cocktail you like, then you could order with its name like people do with alcoholic cocktails?

I know there's the Shirley Temple (but it has ginger ale).

There's also the Arnold Palmer, which is some mix of iced tea and lemonade/lemon juice.

I'm not sure if there is one that almost entirely juice, without any tea or soda or anything. I would think bartenders and waitstaff in bars would be open-minded about people who order non-alcoholic drinks (after all, someone might be avoiding it for a number of reasons). Some places will even give free non-alcoholic drinks to "designated drivers". Friends should also be understanding/supportive. There is nothing wrong with not drinking alcohol just because you're in a bar. :) 

I'm with you about the taste and not seeing a reason to acquire the taste. :) 

• Like 2

I used to drink quite a bit - favourite wine was Wairau Cove from New Zealand, also loved Bailey's. The when I had gall stones, I developed a severe intolerance and I've been sober for coming up to 10 years.

7 hours ago, Morays said:

Thankfully no one has pressured me, though I'm still really self-conscious whenever I order juice at a bar. (I'm not a fan of soda either.)

4 hours ago, daveb said:

Maybe you could find some non-alcoholic cocktail you like, then you could order with its name like people do with alcoholic cocktails?

This reminds. On a night out, I was with a friend (I think he was using me as his "wingman", is there a Nb equivalent? Anyway.) he did not feel that it gave a great impression that his wingenby having orange juice gave a good impression. The drink that he wanted for me was "virgin screwdriver" which is orange juice in a cocktail glass, with maybe some stirring involved. 

I'd like to try a mango lassi but I don't think a bar here would serve it. I 

• Like 1
coolshades

I've never had alcohol and never had any interest in it.  I had a huge aversion to it starting at about age 3, when I made my mom discard the beer she had in the kitchen that she used for cooking.  I don't know how it came about, but it's always been that way.  So if I ever go to a place that serves alcohol I just order a Conga.  Sometimes I get my drink free because the bartender assumes I'm the DD, but since I don't have a license that would never be possible.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, coolshades said:

I've never had alcohol and never had any interest in it.  I had a huge aversion to it starting at about age 3, when I made my mom discard the beer she had in the kitchen that she used for cooking.  I don't know how it came about, but it's always been that way.  So if I ever go to a place that serves alcohol I just order a Conga.  Sometimes I get my drink free because the bartender assumes I'm the DD, but since I don't have a license that would never be possible.

Yeah I remember when I was a kid my dad gave me his beer can to toss and I took a sip of what was left and promised myself I would never drink after that, then my parents quit drinking and I started, then I quit when I was around 24-25. :) 

I will still have a drink if offered or if it is my birthday probably.

• Like 1

When I was sixteen I started drinking (the legal age for drinking alcohol is now raised to 18), but it was mostly sweet stuff (Bacardi Breezers were all the hype back then) and only when I was in a bar. Never really liked the taste of beer or wine. Quit drinking when I was about 23 or 24. Sometimes I would drink a little when it was offered (like champagne at New Years), but my tolerance for alcohol is down to zero, so even a few sips brings colour to my cheeks and has me feeling a slight buzz. So for the last few years I haven't had an alcoholic drink at all. Don't miss it.

• Like 2

Sometimes, when the moon is blue and the wind is right, I may drink half a glass of bitter red wine. I have avoided drinking for the longest time at every cost because of history with alcoholism in my family. By today I do drink half a glass when there is a special occasion celebrated at family gatherings. But that's it. No exceptions to the rule.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Passer said:

When I was sixteen I started drinking (the legal age for drinking alcohol is now raised to 18), but it was mostly sweet stuff (Bacardi Breezers were all the hype back then) and only when I was in a bar. Never really liked the taste of beer or wine. Quit drinking when I was about 23 or 24. Sometimes I would drink a little when it was offered (like champagne at New Years), but my tolerance for alcohol is down to zero, so even a few sips brings colour to my cheeks and has me feeling a slight buzz. So for the last few years I haven't had an alcoholic drink at all. Don't miss it.

Bacardi Breezers, yeah I remember them, girls loved them! Which was your favorite flavor?

676018e390e4255f38aac8d6e43f10d2.jpg

9 hours ago, Phalena said:

Sometimes, when the moon is blue and the wind is right, I may drink half a glass of bitter red wine. I have avoided drinking for the longest time at every cost because of history with alcoholism in my family. By today I do drink half a glass when there is a special occasion celebrated at family gatherings. But that's it. No exceptions to the rule.

Yeah there is some bad history with alcoholism within my family too, that is also one of the reasons I gave up drinking.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2022 at 3:09 AM, Calliers said:

Bacardi Breezers, yeah I remember them, girls loved them! Which was your favorite flavor?

676018e390e4255f38aac8d6e43f10d2.jpg

It's a good thing you posted the pic, because I couldn't remember the flavours otherwise :D I think I had lime or pineapple most often. Don't think I was very picky, I just had whatever Breezer my bartender friend slipped me free of charge 😉 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

My dad once told me that on his 18th birthday, my grandpa presented him the bottle of jenever and said "Drink it whole, you're permitted now". My dad did it and next day he had 'the worst hungover ever', so this is the only time he drank jenever, he has never touched it since ad he's almost 70 now.

Funny thing, my experience with this type of alcohol was basically identical :lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Passer said:

It's a good thing you posted the pic, because I couldn't remember the flavours otherwise :D I think I had lime or pineapple most often. Don't think I was very picky, I just had whatever Breezer my bartender friend slipped me free of charge 😉 

Hahahahahaha! Free Bacardi Breezers for life, sign me up! :D

1 hour ago, alsjeblieft said:

My dad once told me that on his 18th birthday, my grandpa presented him the bottle of jenever and said "Drink it whole, you're permitted now". My dad did it and next day he had 'the worst hungover ever', so this is the only time he drank jenever, he has never touched it since ad he's almost 70 now.

Funny thing, my experience with this type of alcohol was basically identical :lol:

Could be in the genes! :lol:

• Like 1

I cut out alcohol as part of trying to lose weight and it certainly helped. In fact, I don't miss it or crave it at all. I might just occasionally have some on holiday or something. The funny thing about alcohol is that if you stop drinking it you realise that you actually feel much better in yourself. It's also a good way to save money. 😉

The times I do occasionally have alcohol, I would opt for a golden beer or white wine. Sometimes red wine with certain food.

J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, Calliers said:

Could be in the genes! :lol:

...now I wonder if this is the reason he dislikes Dutch people that much :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

There are wines with such low alcohol content that it isn't an alcoholic beverage. I've had some, that the vineyard said had a fruity aftertaste. It tasted like vinegar.

AlsoKnownAs

I don't drink. I've had a few drinks in the past, and I've never liked a single one of them. I'm one of those people cannot stand the taste of alcohol -- the best I was ever able to get was "Okay, this doesn't taste TOO unpleasant."

AKA

• Like 1