When a pride asexual day?answers, please!!!

lux

Last saturday the day european pride gay was celebrated in Madrid,in Chueca neighsborhood,and it was a complete succes,thousands of european people went there to celebrate the day,even the Mayor organiced several acts.Music,dances,drinks,food,people,it was a big day,and I think I wish we, asexual people, could to celebrate our own day,pride asexual day all around the world,everybody in each country,drinking,dancing,meeting each to other,doing a big demostration to defend our rights like gay people do it each year.Sadly,I think that this is very difficult because we aren't visible,we aren't in associations,only in internet,I don't know if you, people from USA, are more organizated,but if somebody of yours could talk with the master of this web page,I think is David Jay,I see that he is moving a lot for the cause,he is in american TV programmes,in newspapers,in reports,in the news...perhaps he would be interested in the idea,he is young and energic man,we need to be visible,and you,americans are more visible!!!,in your country asexuality is more visible.We need help to the rest of the world discover us!!!!. :roll:

Last saturday the day european pride gay was celebrated in Madrid,in Chueca neighsborhood,and it was a complete succes,thousands of european people went there to celebrate the day,even the Mayor organiced several acts.Music,dances,drinks,food,people,it was a big day,and I think I wish we, asexual people, could to celebrate our own day,pride asexual day all around the world,everybody in each country,drinking,dancing,meeting each to other,doing a big demostration to defend our rights like gay people do it each year.Sadly,I think that this is very difficult because we aren't visible,we aren't in associations,only in internet,I don't know if you, people from USA, are more organizated,but if somebody of yours could talk with the master of this web page,I think is David Jay,I see that he is moving a lot for the cause,he is in american TV programmes,in newspapers,in reports,in the news...perhaps he would be interested in the idea,he is young and energic man,we need to be visible,and you,americans are more visible!!!,in your country asexuality is more visible.We need help to the rest of the world discover us!!!!. :roll:

Every day is Asexual Pride Day.

*cheers wildly*

:cake: :cake: :cake:

You said it!!

I suposse,Cijay, that your sentence is an ingenious phrase,but I really don't know what you mean it,my post was only a proposition,I'm sorry. :roll:

I suposse,Cijay, that your sentence is an ingenious phrase,but I really don't know what you mean it,my post was only a proposition,I'm sorry. :roll:

I just mean that I don't believe anyone needs a set day (or t-shirt, ring, badge, hat, coffee mug etc) to be proud of who they are. I'm asexual 365 days of the year so I'd say asexual pride day is every day. Be proud of who you are always.

SadNoirPlot

You are right, cijay, but, at least for me, it's difficult to come out as asexual, even to my family, as I know no one does even know what an asexual is (they'd probably think of amoebas), and if they did, they'd either ridiculize me and my orientation, or wouldn't truly think of it as an orientation, just as a dysfunction or what-have-you.

Yes, it's difficult for me to be asexual in my oversexualized country. But I'm hoping Aven and singular individuals will do something about it, like...uhm...spreading visibility and awareness, and if, in order to do that, they organized the Asexual pride day or, better, the Asexual visibility day, I'd sure as hell join or at least support it (I'm still a parent-mantained teen, after all :lol: ). Not for a question of superiority, mind you, just of visibility and credibility.

You are right, cijay, but, at least for me, it's difficult to come out as asexual, even to my family, as I know no one does even know what an asexual is (they'd probably think of amoebas), and if they did, they'd either ridiculize me and my orientation, or wouldn't truly think of it as an orientation, just as a dysfunction or what-have-you.

But that doesn't mean you can't be proud. People are going to ridicule and disbelieve, you can't stop that but you should still be proud of who you are 365 days of the year.

Yes, it's difficult for me to be asexual in my oversexualized country. But I'm hoping Aven and singular individuals will do something about it, like...uhm...spreading visibility and awareness, and if, in order to do that, they organized the Asexual pride day or, better, the Asexual visibility day, I'd sure as hell join or at least support it (I'm still a parent-mantained teen, after all :lol: ). Not for a question of superiority, mind you, just of visibility and credibility.

But that's what I'm saying (I'm one of the ones spreading visibility and awareness, by the way). People can do that every day. They don't need a set day to do it. Make that day tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day that you can do something to spread the awareness. It doesn't mean you have to come out. I do a lot of work for AIDS awareness, I don't have AIDS.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here in the UK at least, Gay Pride has become very much a celebration, rather than a demonstration about equal rights etc. Do you think that would have occurred if, as you suggest, the gay movement had kept under the radar? Somehow I very much doubt it.

The main purpose of these events is to raise cultural awareness, and have fun whilst doing so. I've participated in at least one 'fringe activity' Pride event. The message, albeit couched in sexual statements and inuendo, 'cos that's the only thing that the masses will understand and relate to, was that whatever you think about what we do, underneath all the theatricals, we're just like you - people.

And surely that's the point. To show publicly that whatever our orientation, we are essentially no different to others. We are NOT something to be kept locked away in a dark room away from prying eyes in case we corrupt the rest of society - though may be in our case it could be considered that the rest of society is trying to corrupt us!

Keeping a low profile is all well and good, but unless we show our faces from time to time, we'll be the 'forgotten ones' in an increasingly sexual society. As yet our numbers - at least publicly - are tiny by comparison to the gay community, and the best way of overcoming that is to raise our voices above the noise and din that the rest of society is making. Sure, we're not necessarily seeking the high profile changes that Gay Pride has worked for, but unless we let Joe Public know that we exist, then are destined to remain in the wilderness for a lot longer.

Associating ourselves with the Pride movement may not be the best vehicle to achieve that, but at this time it's better than re-inventing the wheel just to carry a small number of people.

*edited to add: The low-key cultural 'opera' style approach is out there too, thanks to a few who are willing to put themselves in the media spotlight for tv, radio and magazine interviews, and to be fair, it has raised our profile in some areas, but I see no harm in broadening our horizons...

cijay wrote:

I agree. I celebrate every day of life. Every day is special.

But Lux, as for a big celebration in the streets with parades and such. I for one, could never do that. It's not because I am ashamed of being asexual. I like being asexual. It's the fact that I am extremely Introverted. There is a thread concerning this and what It shows is that alot of us, if not the majority of us, are Introverted to verying degrees.

Which makes having an extroverted celebration somewhat difficult with Introverted people.

It's funny because there was a similar topic quite a few years ago, back when AVEN was much smaller.

We were wondering what an asexual's pride parade would look like.

Well, we decided that:

1) We would all be dressed modestly.

2) We would do everything legally, as far as getting all of the needed permits and etc.

3) We would be too polite to interfere with trafic.

4) We would be to polite to make any excessive noise.

5) We would be too shy to engage in any "lewd" behavior.

6) There would probably be fewer than a dozen of us, all total.

7) There would be no volunteers to carry any signs or banners.

8) If we had a float, the people riding on it would all be reading books or surfing the net.

Aaaaaannnd:

9) Nobody would even notice that we were having a parade!!

:lol:

Things haven't changed much, have they?

-GB

zachcarlson

That was very nice, I now am thinking like that too. Everyday we live shold be a celebration.

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny because there was a similar topic quite a few years ago, back when AVEN was much smaller.

Well, we decided that:

2) We would do everything legally, as far as getting all of the needed permits and etc.

8) If we had a float, the people riding on it would all be reading books or surfing the net.

Aaaaaannnd:

:lol:

Things haven't changed much, have they?

-GB

I like that alot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It pretty well sums up what the day would be like. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We could change one of the gay anthems from, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” to “Somewhere Under the Radar,” and call it our own.

Nico-Nico Friendo

Well, we decided that:

Aaaaaannnd:

-GB

Sounds good to me! But you forgot . . . about all the cake that would be served! :cake:

Haha! :lol:

I don't think we need a parade. Maybe a few organizations on campuses and stuff so were could meet and support asexual people, but not a parade, please! (I'm too introverted for such events, anyway!)

A lot of people would think our parading around was stupid anyway. Like my grandma says about gays, "Why do they have to go around like: I'm gay! I'm gay! So what? I don't care what you do in private, just keep it to yourselves!"

I don't think a silly parade would help people to show us respect. I think it would simply make us look even more weird and ridiculous to non-asexuals.

*cheers wildly*

:cake: :cake: :cake:

You said it!!

Yes while this is good, even us Gnostics have our special days. Everyone needs their special day to feel special with everyone else. It's just the logical thing to do.

EDIT: I just noticed the thread above mine and have to admit that it's so true. :D

Rikusephirosu

Everyday is definently asexy-pride day! And definently :cake: for all! :D :)

Everyday is definently asexy-pride day! And definently :cake: for all! :D :)

Yeah but why celebrate seperately when we could be having fun together?

I don t like the idea of a "pride day" for asexuals. Look what happened "gay pride." It originally started as a concept of rights for people who have non-hetrosexual orientation. Rights to keep a job, stay in an apartment, rights to not be considered as "low priority" by police whenever a gay-bashing occurrs, rights not to be automatically considered in need of psychiatric help and "intervention," etc. Now gay people act very much like the stereotypes that made society want to keep theem in the closet in the first place. Just parades in which naked perverts march and really overdo the sexuality part rather than the dignity and legal-rights part.

I wasn't paying attention to this thread because I don't come into "Older" very often, though I am in the age group, but there was just a similar discussion in another thread. Gay Pride, like the LGBT communities generally, covers a very wide spectrum of issues and images, including the issues of legal rights you mention. However, it originally started in the wake of Stonewall, which was pretty much a street riot by gay men, transpeople and drag queens that were tired of being arrested, and was always about the right to self-definition, not about being respectable by other people's standards. There is a dignity in that. (And as someone who has identified as a lesbian and gone on pride marches for a long time, I take issue with the word pervert.)

Anyway - we are about the dignity of self-definition, about the right to be who we are, as well, even if we go about it differently. Having found each other through the internet we are scattered across every continent, so it is difficult to see how we could physically "have fun together", but we can each be proud of who we are, in our own places.

Problem for me is..I am asexual..no doubt about that..but I am not AN asexual...in other words I don't define my life by lack of sexual attraction...

SM Pride perhaps..but even that is incorrect as those "marchers " define what they do as sexual (and therefore it is..for them) while I do not...

To be honest I can't see any point in it for asexuals. There is no discrimination to fight against after all...and being asexual was never illegal..lol

roddy

While I hate parades and such myself, an Asexual Pride day would help to bring public knowledge to us...

I'm really tired of people thinking I'm gay or shy or whatever just cause I tell them I don't want to have sex with or find them attractive.

• 1 month later...
violeteyedsoul

I think this is a VERY good idea, and like it.

We DO need more visibility!

Archived