Does anyone else here like conlangs?

TormentDubz

This thread was moved to Alternate Language Forum.

TormentDubz

M&R Moderator

• Like 1

I have a very distinct idea that involves wax cylinders and this. Y'all will just have to wait and see in 15 years when what I'm talking about happens.

• Like 1

A Secret Vice

Conlangs can be fun. Not that I'm any good at them. :P 

• Like 3
Rhyn Corinn

I really want to try making one again someday. I sort of barely started to make one years ago but I didn't get that far and most of it was a mess lol 

But I really enjoy the concept, so maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

• Like 2
verily-forsooth-egads

I'm intimidated by the scale of either learning or inventing a whole vocabulary, but I love studying grammars and phonologies, constructed and otherwise.

• Like 4

I started learning Quenya ages ago, but gave up after a couple lessons as I had no one to practise with. I know enough about Sindarin to recognize some elements and that's about it ... I do still want to continue though.

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

What does "conlang" mean???

• Like 1
Captain_Tass

Yes, though I can barely speak broken esperanto 😂

I hope that one day I can get my brain together enough to learn toki pona. This shows just how much energy I have these days 😂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, everywhere and nowhere said:

What does "conlang" mean???

Constructed language, usually (but not always) invented for a work of fiction... like Star Trek's Klingon (tlhIngan Hol) or Romulan (Rihannsu), or Tolkien's Elvish (Quenya).

A main criterion is that it can't just be random babble nonsense words, but must have a well-thought out functional grammar and substantial vocabulary, so you can translate to and from the conlang into natural, real-world languages.

• Like 3

i've only completed two, quite a while ago now, and the first was awful. functional, but completely lacking in creativity. the second i have some gripes with--hindsight is 20/20 but it's also overly critical--but it's pretty okay. i've started many more, but i haven't found the energy or dedication to finish another since, though 😕

• Like 3

The closest I have come is to make up a few bits for use in place and/or people names for RPGs/worldbuilding. And probably not very well done anyway. :) 

I just don't have the drive or patience to do it well, even though I find the idea very intriguing (same could be said for many things :P ).

• Like 2
Boondocks Paradox

I understand some Simlish 😆

• Like 1

I find conlangs fascinating.  I completed the Esperanto tree on Duolingo a long time ago but the only thing I can remember is "Mi fartas bone," just because I found it funny. 😕 

I think I like conlangs because I have always come up with my own words for things ever since I was young.  It would be fun to make up an entire language, but what an undertaking!  I'd never have time for it.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
WizardGrayFire

toki! mi pilin sama, toki pona li pona mute. sina sitelen e toki pona la mi pilin pona.

Anomaly Q3Xr

When I was younger I dabbled in constructed languages for my worldbuilding universe, but these days I just don't bother, as I focus on other things within my universe. I find them interesting and intriguing, but not where my focus is.

• Like 1

I have my own sci-fi/fantasy world where I got a little ambitious and wanted to construct a whole bunch of languages inspired by cultural/linguistic analogues in the real world, but I think I'm just too tired and care too much about other things to worry about it at this point. I guess I'll just sit back and watch linguistics Youtubers figure it out.

HakunaKatana

I've developed an interest in conlangs from fiction recently, in that I'm curious about how many of them are structured like a natural language (phonological inventory, syntactic structure, verb conjugation, etc). I remember that Klingon and Elvish were designed by linguists to resemble a natural language, like how Esperanto was, but others like Simlish and Inkling are just gibberish, though I think Simlish as a conceptual "language" was invented by fans, not by the creators. Then there are others that mainly appear in written form like Hylian and Khura'inese that are fancified code ciphers that directly correspond to a preexisting natural language instead of having its own unique structure, and often times the language's script is based off a preexisting one (and may or may not produce a comprehensible translation). I'm not as interested in those on the surface, though it's fun to think about historical and sociocultural aspects of them as they're provided.

Why yes I did study linguistics in college, why do you ask?

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
WizardGrayFire
4 hours ago, chrząszcz said:

toki pi mama jan la mi sona e toki pona taso.

mi toki e ni: jan mute li toki pona li wile ala unpa.

toki pona li toki mama sina anu seme?!

ken la mi toki ike.

mi kepeken e nimi "toki pi mama jan".

ni li toki pniona li toki Epelanto.

ni li ala toki Inli li ala toki Tansi

sina sona ala sona?

sina kepeken e nimi "toki mama sina".

mi jan lili la mi toki ala a toki pona.

nimi "toki mama sina" li ni ala ni?

mi lanpan utala pini e ma Tansi la toki lawa pi ma pi unpa ala li ken e toki pona.

mi toki ike ike ike la mi ante tawa toki Inli.

If that was totally not comprehensible, I'll switch to English.

• Like 1
WizardGrayFire

aaaaa mi sona. nasin mi la toki pona en toki Epelanto li toki pali.

Spoiler

there were a few mistakes, but i understood :)

utala Tansi la mi pilin sama a a a

WizardGrayFire

sina lon ma pona pi toki pona anu seme?

conlangs are cool

i started making one but havent had time to continue working on ti

maybe i should start working on it again

• Like 2
On 2/14/2023 at 2:18 AM, WizardGrayFire said:

sina lon ma pona pi toki pona anu seme?

ala

ilo Discord li ike mute tawa mi.

sin la ilo sona li ike lili tawa mi.

taso mi kepeken e ilo Mastodon lon toki.social.

• Like 1
WizardGrayFire

ike pi ilo Discord la ni li ken a a a