Some statistics

vikingo

96% of adult americans have had sex.

88% of adult mexican-americans (*) have had sex.

16% of adult americans had their sexual debut before 15th year

15% of adult americans didn't have sex until aged 21

according to this article: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2007/06/22/172242.htm which refers to a publication by CDC http://www.cdc.gov. I had no succes in trying to find the source publication on the CDC site. Maybe somebody can.

(*) I don't know the definition of the term mexican-americans.

borrowedTime

What is it with Mexican-Americans that makes them less likely to have sex?

They're interesting statistics, though what I'd like to see is some comparative ones for Europe or European countries.

Hallucigenia

Well, I'm just guessing, but perhaps people from Mexico are more likely to be Catholic?

Well, I'm just guessing, but perhaps people from Mexico are more likely to be Catholic?

That's the only thing I can think of...except it is still a 8% difference...that's a lot. Hmmmm...

It could be the American media being so set on relationships/sex

borrowedTime
... which refers to a publication by CDC http://www.cdc.gov. I had no succes in trying to find the source publication on the CDC site. Maybe somebody can.

Yes, I am that somebody...

Here it is (it's a pdf):

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad384.pdf

See the highlights on page 2-3 and the various tables of data from page 7 onwards.

It offers plenty of other interesting data.

The education level figures, for example - only 3% of people with more than high school education have never had sex. This compares to 8% of people with less than high school education. (Yet, unsurprisingly, for those that did have sex, less educated people were far more likely (27%) to have had sex before 15 than more educated people (10%).)

Or the figures for ever having had sex by age - they keep going up even in later years - so although 96.6% of 30-39 year olds have had sex at some time, this rises to 98.3% for 50-59 year olds - which seems to imply (though because of the generation difference it's not certain) that about 1.7% of people first have sex between 40 and 59.

It's just data, so it doesn't give any analysis about the thing with Mexican Americans.

I suppose Hallucigenia could well be right about the Catholic influence. (I'd forgotten about that, I had naively assumed that almost everyone completely ignored churches' teaching on sexuality... but maybe that's a bit sceptical or euro-centric... still, 8% does seem a lot...)

I had naively assumed that almost everyone completely ignored churches' teaching on sexuality... but maybe that's a bit sceptical or euro-centric...
Hey, we have some catholic countries areas and people here too! And keep also in mind that parents who used to go to church can influence their kids too. :wink:

I encountered some "ooh ooh my parents..." similar to hourly "would you like more cookies?" checks, when I was a dating teen, two decades ago. I doubt times to have change extremely.

borrowedTime
I had naively assumed that almost everyone completely ignored churches' teaching on sexuality... but maybe that's a bit sceptical or euro-centric...
Hey, we have some catholic countries areas and people here too!

Yes, I know, I live in one of these countries which is supposedly Catholic... but although there are churches and shrines all over the place, and Catholic hospitals and universities and all the rest, I don't get the impression catholicism informs people's personal lifestyle so much here, at least on subjects like sexuality.

Granted, it is somewhat different in southern Europe.

And, yes, I agree, parents can have an influence... but enough to cause that 8% difference?

I wonder, actually, whether there's any significant difference in the age-spread in populations of Mexican Americans from the rest of the population?

Because if a higher percentage of Mexican-Americans are younger, it could cause a difference like that...

Archived