another amber alert...

aury

Gah! What is wrong with people? And by people, I mean men. Do you ever hear of women kidnapping anyone? No.

Poor girl. She was probably confused cause he had a mechanic's shirt on. Heck, I'm 20 and even I would be confused. I'd probably go along with him, at least for a few feet. I'd be like "Okay, where are we going? What's wrong with my car?" On second thought, probably not. I don't like to be touched, especially not by strangers.

Worthless Poster

Yeah, I saw that on the news as I was getting ready for school this morning... That's only like, an hour and a half away from me.

In answer to fluffy's point about women not kidknapping... criminals who kidknap babies or todlers are commonly women.

This story doesn't end as happily as the other Amber Alert. : ( They originally said the guy in the videotape was in his 20s or early 30s, and now he's 37? Anyway...they found him awfully fast if you get my drift.

In answer to fluffy's point about women not kidknapping... criminals who kidknap babies or todlers are commonly women.

Yeah, mostly their own kids. The occasional one is maybe a woman who just wants a baby, but do women ever kidnap children to do effing perverted things to them? Nope.

Maybe not perverted things, but there have been a considerable amount of female serial killers who enjoy poisoning victims, particularly children. In fact, most killers who use poison as the weapon of choice are women.

Maybe, but as a percentage, that's nothing. 90% of violent crimes are committed by men, and 90% of the victims are women.

EDIT: This should probably say something like, 90% of the violent crimes against women are committed by men. More clear that way.

And where precisely did that statistic come from? My understanding is that in general men are more likely to become the victim of violent crime than women (approx ratio f:m of 0.7:1 which has risen for women from around 0.5:1). Young men (aged approx 16-30) are most at risk from violent crime in general.

Sociology. I forget where I first read it, but there's some info here:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/fvvc.htm

* In 1995, women were about two-thirds as likely as men to be victims of violence; 20 years ago, they were half as likely.

* In 1994 females represented 23% of all known homicide victims in the United States; 9 out of 10 female victims were murdered by males.

Women have been generally proven to be about as violent as men, fluffy. Women often just use more subtle methods, and also, much of the public still tend to have a hard time buying into the idealization of a violent female(hence you?), probably due to traditional stereotypes, and victimhood mentality(feminism, no doubt). As a result, women have often also gotten away with crimes that men wouldn't have.

Generally proven according to what study? I work with empiricism. I know women can be violent just as men can be passive. Please don't accuse me of being blinded by traditional stereotypes.

My statistics stand.

at least they caught the rat's asshole who did it, though. still... this is fucked. :evil:
I just read this, and yeah, it is messed up :x

As for the men and women being violent issue (probably should stay out of this.... :roll: ) : Men and women both can be violent and passive, I think the culture in which people are raised in has a lot to do with how someone acts... it's not innate in people. Men tend to be brought up to only really show anger and aggression, and are told *real* men don't use the other emotions (and no I do not believe in that bs ), for example that guys shouldn't cry... on the flip side women tend to be brought up in a way which tells them that the only emotion that really isn't acceptable to show is outward anger and agression. (Note: this is why women who are upset more often than men turn inward such as with journaling, become anorexic, do self mutilation; this also is why while men are more likely to fight to end issues, but women will often use gossip or other less outward methods to hurt others, as is isn't looked at as acceptable to *fight*, which is why *girl bullying* looks different than *boy bullying*) This is beginning to change a bit, as society starts to allow both sexes to include other emotions.

Another interesting thing about when women actually physically fight, is that there it is often a lot worse than when men fight (more bloody for example... not sure why this is though)

I will repeat that both men and women can be violent and/or passive, and I don't think it's innate in a sex.

Violent acts of women against men are also highly underreported. Men don't want to admit it for a number of reasons.

My husband's ex tried to run him over with her car, and when he got away (he was on foot), she got out of her car, chased him into a hotel lobby and pushed him through a plate-glass window. No report was filed. He paid for the window.

Why wasn't it reported? a) Because who'd believe him? And B) if someone DID believe him, they might decide she was an unfit mother of his then 2-year-old son. And since he was homeless at the time, the kid would probably end up in a foster home.

I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but it's hard to prove something that's not reported. It's just something to keep in mind when working with empicism.

As to why it's bloodier when women fight, that's probably because women aren't expected to "fight like a man", so they fight dirty. They grab knives and frying pans. They use fingernails and teeth.

Violent acts of women against men are also highly underreported. Men don't want to admit it for a number of reasons.

Very true.

I agree, Josh. I didn't say anything about violence being innate...I just pointed out that most violent crimes are committed by men (probably partly for the reasons you said, outward aggression more acceptable, etc.), and most violent crimes committed against women are by men.

*agrees with el as well *

I didn't say anything about violence being innate...
I know you didn't :) just adding what I've learned... :)

Archived