Andy Warhol

Sandra

Yesterday I went to an awesome Andy Warhol exhibit. The exhibit included a video documentary in which one of Warhol's close associates said that Andy was asexual -- that he couldn't imagine Andy "doing it".

This little segment went by so fast that I didn't catch why the question came up or the name of the aforementioned associate. I would have loved to run the video back to get the details. If there's interest I'll call the art center to get the name and availability of the documentary.

Anyone else here heard anything about this?

I haven't heard of it . . . Others could have.

Then again, I've been so absorbed in computer games lately that I hadn't even heard of the whole Janet Jackson boobie incident until 3 days after it happened.

It was totally on purpose. Who wears a decorative nipple pasty unless they're planning on showing something??

EDIT: And how is covering the nipple less shocking than just showing the whole thing, lol? Weird.

Then again, I've been so absorbed in computer games lately that I hadn't even heard of the whole Janet Jackson boobie incident until 3 days after it happened.
I only heard about it as someone insisted on telling me about it and talking about football (they obviously don't realize how much I dislike american football...) :?

I was in a bar with the game on when it happened, but I happened to be looking away from the TV just as it happened. And I saw the slo-mo replays of it on the news. It was definitely intentional. He grabbed her top and pulled. That was no "wardrobe disfunction".

• 8 months later...

Could very well be. He always was an ambiguous one, that Andy -- I think he was quite probably gay, but cultivated a sort of floaty, sexless mystique when he started getting noticed outside of commercial art/draftsman circles. Other than that, he was just a nice, easygoing, regular boy from Pittsburgh.

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday I went to an awesome Andy Warhol exhibit. The exhibit included a video documentary in which one of Warhol's close associates said that Andy was asexual -- that he couldn't imagine Andy "doing it".

Interesting. I heard once on NPR that Andy Warhol was gay.

But then again, the person who claimed that Warhol was gay could have been someone who automatically assumed that he was attracted to men just because he was not attracted to women.

Metaleaf dan Blorie

I recently saw an Andy Warhol exhibit. It was great - I've always liked Andy's style. In terms of sexuality, though, there was a room full of gold-leaf prints of nude young men. The museum implied that these folks were his lovers, and I vaguely recall one of the captions mentioning his romantic connection to a male lawyer-turned-poet.

He's always seemed fairly androgenous to me. I don't know.

Here was my favourite piece from the exhibit:

shadow18-01.jpg

It's nicer in real life. It's also much larger.

• 1 month later...

It's well known that he was gay.

I've seen a few documentaries about him and recall one person saying that andy "Loved sex but didnt like to do it"

I dont think anyone would've thought to call it asexual because asexuality wasnt an issue. Neither was Aspergers, but now ofcourse people from the autistic community are seeing him as a blatant example of a "famous person showing aspergers/autistic traits".

Andy Warhol made three films that have captured my attention. The first was a 6 hour movie of someone called "Sleep" which was exactly that - someone sleeping for 6 hours, then there was a film of someone eating called "Eat" but the last one is one that may be quite relevant to this discussion.

He decided that if he's already made these two films, why not make one called "Fuck" (which he later renamed to "The Blue Film") which essentially was just two people having sex.

Of course as he is an artist, this does not necissarily mean anything in terms of his sexuality, but I thought it would add an interesting element to this discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I read in some biography-based article about him that Andy slept with men, but never found a way to forming relationship.. he took them just as something to enlighten his free time but couldn't find a way of relating to others in a sexual way and never fell in love. So it certainly WOULD make him A. Just my guess, that he felt attraction to men and by this criterium he would be gay but he was A in feelings and without physical desire? But one never knows. What is important is that he left such wonderful art for us;)

S.A.D :arrow: You know, but one can "wear" several traits without anything being an issue too much. You just can touch several cathegories and still stay being you, you know, so Andy still is very unique person, whether he was aspie and asexual, or not. I wouldn't put him on a pedestal for his traits, but I vote by all my fingers to put him there because of his art. :wink:

I read in some biography-based article about him that Andy slept with men, but never found a way to forming relationship.. he took them just as something to enlighten his free time but couldn't find a way of relating to others in a sexual way and never fell in love. So it certainly WOULD make him A. Just my guess, that he felt attraction to men and by this criterium he would be gay but he was A in feelings? But one never knows. What is important is that he left such wonderful art for us;)

No no. If he has the physical desire to have sex with people, he's not Ase.

Found it again and re-read that article, because my memory didn't serve me well enough to talk just with info from that:

Smiles- from that article it seems like even if he HAD sex, he hadn't desire to do so physically, and didn't think in terms as "this guy is being hot and I want to have him in bed", didn't feel ATTRACTION. And what is well-known about Andy is that he HATED when someone touched him. My apologies for making confusion here;)

So what's up with this person?;) I certainly wouldn't be the judge what has the right to call someone " you're not this or that" or "you are". He just might be,some signs are like that-as not being attracted- it's all. From what I know, all that is known is only from his biography and friends or/and rumors, Andy himself never stated clearly he is anything. He just was Andy Warhol. :D

Archived