• 11-12 years of age
    • 13-14 years of age
    • 15-20 years of age
    • over 20 years of age
    • I have never had a crush on anyone

Shadow girl

Does a Rat count? (yes a real rat)

Hallucigenia
"Gilbert Herdt and Martha McClintock (2000) have gathered evidence that age 10 is an important point in sexual development' date=' a time when many boys and girls experience their first sexual attraction. This milestone in development appears to be influenced by the maturation of the adrenal glands. It comes well before the maturation of the sex organs during puberty and therfore challenges the view of Freud that puberty is the critical time in sexual development."[/quote']

I read a similar statement in my own psyc 100 textbook. I have to wonder what definition of sexual attraction they're using (they didn't say). Are they classifying all intense crushes as latently sexual? I seriously doubt that they're using the AVEN definition of sexual attraction, because there's no way that most 10 and 11 year olds could actually want to have sex with people. :shock: :shock:

I hope when you said "first crush" you did not mean sexual crush. If so, you might need a new poll. I have never had a crush that was even remotely sexual in nature.

Erm, I'm not sure if I've had a defined crush either. Maybe with TV or movie characters, but that's usually fleeting; I'll get temporarily obsessed with a character, usually because I find them aesthetically pleasing and enjoy the personality, but then it fades. If that counts, then probably late teens/early 20s. But with a person? ? ? Like, a real one that I meet? Well, I usually flirt with people when I meet them, but that's mostly nervousness/getting to know them. As far as an actual crush. . . hmm. Maybe not. Or if it existed I got over it really fast (in a matter of hours to days).

I hope when you said "first crush" you did not mean sexual crush. If so, you might need a new poll. I have never had a crush that was even remotely sexual in nature.

If fem_1027 meant sexual crush, she's asking the wrong people! :lol:

If fem_1027 meant sexual crush, she's asking the wrong people! :lol:

Well, I think the way crush is usually used it doesn't neccesarily mean you are sexually attracted to someone. Although at times having a crush on someone and wanting to have something sexual go hand in hand.

So either one would do I suppose.....Although in my opinion a crush on a fictional character doesn't count.

Yeah, I should have been more clear in my first post.

Although in my opinion a crush on a fictional character doesn't count.

Ah, yes, that's how I'd seen it as well. I've had "crushes" on plenty of fictional characters, but I wouldn't count those. Those just mean that the writer and actor are doing their jobs very well! :D

On the other hand, my attraction to certain fictional characters has probably helped me to identify my romantic interests. Since I've only had two real crushes, I might still be wondering if I'm a heteromantic if not for the fact that I've felt romantic attracted in film and T.V. to numerous male characters and not a single female character.

"One of the secrets to life is realizing that most everyone is faking or doing a half ass job (the same as you). "

^^^ Yeah, but exposing 'em's a heck of dangerous job!

<First fake crush cause all the other little boys were doing it: kindergarten, all of us over the same girl. Wouldn't know her today if she walked up to me and said, "Hi, I'm *****, from kindergarten." 2nd and 3rd fake crushes: fourth grade... about age 10. I think. (hunting my memory meds) We sat next to each other and gave each other candy bracelets, etc.

<First real crush: 7th grade, cute to the nines, popular and befriended me. I was short as freshly mowed grass, insecure out the ying-yang and new at the school (and apparently to life). But spare me the whole sexual thing: Nasty, as in "all full of nast."

I think I was 9 or 10.

My big mistake was that I told my parents about it. They then proceeded to tease me unmercifully. (And perhaps unintentionally, but still ... :roll: )

So I never told them things like that again.

-GB

sp0ntane0us

It's hard to say. I go through dozens of minor crushes, often 3 or 4 at a time, when I particularly notice a person because I think they're especially interesting/nice/funny/awesome. But I'm not sure if that really counts as what other people mean when they say "a crush".

My first and only "romantic crush" was on a close friend about two years ago, so I would have been 16. I never really wanted to go out with him or anything, but I loved his company, and for some reason I felt slightly jealous when he got a girlfriend. My crush continued until a few months ago.

TeddyMiller

I don't think I've ever had a crush. I recall one little girl I said I'd marry in first grade or so, but I think she was just blackmailing me or something like that. There was one girl I sat next to in typing class in junior high, we joked and laughed together but it wasn't romantic or crush-like. And during puberty there was one teacher whose breasts I noticed a lot, but I didn't want to do anything with her; it was just distracting.

When I was in 6 years old in First Grade I had a crush on a younger girl in Kindergarten. We had separate playgrounds. We would meet at the fence and kiss each other through the chain link fence. I can't remember her name. I don't even know if I knew her name :? We never talked... We would just sit and kiss each other. I remember where her house was and how sad I was when she moved away :cry:

Will someone tell me what "53x + m^3 = 0" means?

If you enter 5 into a calculator it will look like an "S" and the 3 will look like an "E". So effectively it translates that sex + me = 0 (I think there is also some sort of a slash going through it to indicate "no solution," "doesn't compute").

• 2 weeks later...
La_Gioconda

Never had a crush, I don't understand the concept. I mean, it seems pretty pointless to me to be attracted (in whatever sense) to a person just because he/she is "cute". Not being able to have crushes was what made me feel very disconnected from my peers in primary school.

cazthehobbit

I had a crush on a boy in my class when I was 12.

I've never felt like that about anyone else since, except for a friend of mine who I nursed a serious soft spot for (and still do, in some ways) but in reality it was more a "you're-actually-nice-to-me-and-i-want-to-be-really-good-friends-with-you" kind of crush, rather than a sexual one.

Between those two, I've never really had any crushes, and it always made for awkward conversation when I was asked if I fancied anyone. It's still pretty awkward now.

Yeah, I really don't have crushes... maybe "soft spot" is a better term... and it's more in that "because you're kind to me" sort of way...

According to psychologists we usually have our first crush around age 10, I believe.

So just wondering for the asexuals when did you have your first crush, or have you ever had a crush on anyone?

I myself have only had one crush where it has boardered on sexual attraction around the age of 18.

My first crush was when I was in grade 2. It was on a girl so I didn't see it for what it was.

I've yet to experience a sexual one.

The first and only crush was when I was 11. I had a crush on Link (in the Legend of Zelda) Does this count? :lol:

Seien Hananosei

Never had a sexual crush, but there were maybe two or three guys who I thought 'hey, that guy is really nice/smart/interesting...' I just enjoyed their company more than I usually enjoyed people's company. Sadly, the last of three was my first (and probably last boyfriend). Luckily, my relationship with him helped me confirm that I was soooo not interested. :wink:

The first thing I called a crush was on a boy in 4th grade. I picked him because I thought he was the prettiest boy in my class (he had such nice white hair!), and then proceeded to tell my friends about it -- they were all having crushes, so I figured I was supposed to join in.

I then started feeling embarrassed and awkward around him because he was my crush, and that's what happens when you have a crush. (I think there was a reversal of cause and effect in there somewhere, however. :wink:)

Thankfully, I have since grown out of the belief that my romantic life and interests should be dictated by what "everyone else" does. :)

OperaGhost

I thought it was a crush at the time, but I'm not so sure now. I was in third or fourth grade. I didn't want to be close to him or anyting like that and it had nothing to do with his appearance or anything like that...but I cheated on a crossword puzzle at the day care center by giving him the answer. :oops: I can't remember how I felt, just that I did that and was really ashamed of it.

kindergarten!

I don't quite understand what you mean by crush? I can remember liking people for a few days back at like age five.. and it was often in the sense of thinking "Yey boyfriend/girlfriend." but a few days later it was gone, I thought all children did that... as they're programmed to believe anybody of the opposite sex can be something more than a friend and they should see them as that.

The first 'real' crush I remember having on somebody, whereby I felt truely infatuated was when I was 15.

I was thirteen. She was in my drama class. I don't think I'm quite over her. ^^' Haven't seen her in two years though.

There's a difference between sexual and asexual crushes? I always thought of crushes as this kind of pure, naive kind of affection/obsession you have for a person. I didn't know it could have sexual elements to it.

Well, my first crush started on my very first day of middle school; the guy let me borrow a comic book (see what a nerd I am).

Also, it's beyond me how people say they've had crushes when they were in kindergarten. I definitely wasn't thinking that way when I was that young...

I've had a lot of crushes (asexual crushes) in my life. The first one was on a friend of mine, when I was 9.

I had a moderately intense emotional infatuation that began probably at the age of 12 and continued for about three or four years on and off, but I think I'm cured of it now. The object was an authority figure, and it was deeply embarrassing and uncomfortable, and I certainly wouldn't want another one.