Asexual Characters - Masterthread

Erm, concerning the original topic, I'd have to [politely] disagree 100%. I really would not recommend these books to any asexual looking for asexual characters.

Even though Bella does not have sex until the last book, Edward and Bella are far from asexual. She constantly refers to how gorgeous he is and how unworthy she is to have him as a boyfriend and how much she desires him sexually. As in every other page. In fact, she even tries to seduce him into having sex with her because she is so infatuated with how physically gorgeous he is in the third book. And the only thing stopping him is because he feels marriage should come first before sex, and that sex before marriage would defile her, even though he wants to make love to her just as much.

Not only that, but there are other messages in there that are just as...squicky. Such as pedophilia and child grooming as shown between Claire/Quil and Jacob/Nessie. Oh, and the misogyny in the books and abusive nature emulating from Edward Cullen. I'd be more fine with these messages if they were meant to be written by the author, but she's never addressed the controversy of putting them in her books in any interviews. :blink:

Just an observation that other people and myself have come to through reading the books and some interviews. We can agree to disagree, though. :blush:

The little kid Conan from anime Cased Closed. Even when he was a teen in high school he did not seem interested in a relationship with that obnoxious bitch who babies him as a kid.

• 1 month later...

This thread has been necro'd so many times, it's sometimes easy to forget that this thread was made in May of 2007.

It seems so long ago, that May of 2007... Long before the Twilight disease reached pandemic levels...

• 3 weeks later...

Awww I love Big Bang Theory - and Sheldon especially!

I don't know if anyone has read it here but Miu in 'Sputnik Sweetheart' (by Haruki Murakami) seems quite asexual to me. Sexuality is certainly a theme in the book but the reasons of Miu's asexuality are more based in science fiction - she was once sexual until one night she got 'split in half' with the other half having all her sexual desire and youth. The main character Sumire also seemed ace to me at the beginning but then her whole character changes when she meets and falls in love with Miu. A very interesting read!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I would actually say to check out Ai no Kusabi by Reiko Yoshihara (the actual *real* one, not that trash fanfiction that's being sold). The story focuses on two of the most sexual people in the story's universe, but-

The Elite cast is all asexual- whether by nature or not (I'm inclined to believe this is by nature).

Most people don't notice/think of the Elites as asexual, but if you give it a thorough look-thru, you'll definitely see it.

The society is designed in a way that the Elites are sterile and it's forbidden to engage in sexual activity. In fact it's seen as animalistic and inferior, and one of the side-characters (Raoul Am) can't see what the draw to sex is. You can find some REALLY good fan fiction on it as well, and it's being remade right now into 13 episodes.

The Honey Bear

Haha, yeah, I'm not sure the Twilight series is very asexy. I recall Bella begging for sex in one scene.

The problem with figuring out if characters are asexual or not is that often books don't deal with sex and attraction. Authors don't involve unnecessary things like that if they don't add to what they're writing about. I have found two instances of definite asexy characters though! This is what I said on another thread;

In both William Nicholson's fantasy series' there are some very aromantic characters. Kestrel, of the children's series 'The Wind on Fire' constantly turns down male attention, and gently explains to another character that she's sorry, that 'she doesn't work like that'.

It's the same with the duller Echo, from his 'Noble Warriors' trilogy. There was a poignant piece of conversation in it though. Echo constantly follows protagonist Seeker around, believing she's in love with him. Eventually she realises that she just admires him, and has been deluding herself.

'Not every person needs another to complete themselves," he tells her.

"You're right," she says back. "I'll just carry on being me."

• 3 weeks later...

>_>

<______<

...Dumbledore

.-.

I know people say he's gay, but really, imo he's the most asexy character in the book. I mean, what if him and Grindlewald was actually JUST FRIENDS? o:

He seems to have better things to think about than relationships, you know, like saving the world and stuff. It's a full time job afaik. o_o

• Like 1
Erm, concerning the original topic, I'd have to [politely] disagree 100%. I really would not recommend these books to any asexual looking for asexual characters.

Even though Bella does not have sex until the last book, Edward and Bella are far from asexual. She constantly refers to how gorgeous he is and how unworthy she is to have him as a boyfriend and how much she desires him sexually. As in every other page. In fact, she even tries to seduce him into having sex with her because she is so infatuated with how physically gorgeous he is in the third book. And the only thing stopping him is because he feels marriage should come first before sex, and that sex before marriage would defile her, even though he wants to make love to her just as much.

I agree with you that Bella and Edward are certainly not asexual characters. Actually, I think the fact that they do have sexual feelings and impulses but do not act on them (most of the time) makes the Twilight "saga" more appealing to all the preteen/young teen girls who are obsessed with love and relationships but aren't ready for that full-on sexual component.

I've only read the first book, and it was four years ago, but I did just see the New Moon movie, and that idea above was all I could think about...

[spoilerS?]

All those times Bella and Jacob -almost- kissed it was like, "Wow, they have a really close, semi-romantic relationship with no sexual stuff. That would be awesome if they were asexual. But they aren't and this is why it's super-angsty and their friendship will eventually have to end, and Bella eventually has to get back with Edward so they can make out and stuff, and the problem of poor Jacob's feelings and sexual frustration will be solved at a later date."

Also- (this quote is not from the same poster as the first one)

I know people say he's gay, but really, imo he's the most asexy character in the book. I mean, what if him and Grindlewald was actually JUST FRIENDS? o:

He seems to have better things to think about than relationships, you know, like saving the world and stuff. It's a full time job afaik. o_o

It isn't just people who say he's gay, it's J.K. Rowling herself. And since she's the author she gets to decide who wants who or what (much to the ever-lasting dismay of many, many shippers). Well, one could make the argument that she meant that Dumbledore is homo-romantic and she just didn't know about that word...I think it's possible. But the fact stands that she deliberately told us that he was gay.

The little kid Conan from anime Cased Closed. Even when he was a teen in high school he did not seem interested in a relationship with that obnoxious bitch who babies him as a kid.

Ew, Case Closed. A completely butchered dub of my favorite anime ever.

Also, I don't think at all that Conan/Shinichi is asexual. He frequently fantasizes about Ran ('Rachel' in Case Closed, who is actually a pretty decent character.) and looks at girls in general as many high school age boys do.

Look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzNztU85XU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRq_ug51luY...feature=related

lol

• 2 weeks later...

One of the quartet of major characters in the novel Mary Swann by Carol Shields is Rose Hindmarch, librarian and museum curator for the small town of Nadeau in Ontario. Rose is single and has never had a sexual relationship. Her menopause has meant that "at last she's released to live freely in the kind of asexual twilight that most flatters her."

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend Twilight. Edward is probably not asexual and Bella DEFINITELY is not. Plus, there are massive numbers of plot-holes and headaches in that series. No offense to those who enjoy it.

I haven't read the books, but I have seen the TV series, and I'm wondering about Steerpike from Gormenghast. He's portrayed as kind of a Machiavellian villain, and he is never really portrayed as having sexual or romantic interest in anyone (at least in the TV series) and is much more interested in power than anything else.

Even though I think she may have said Neville and Luna got together, I saw Luna Lovegood as kind of asexy in the book. She seemed to really enjoy having close friends, but was fully capable of being happy just by herself and didn't care much what other people thought of her (not saying all sexuals do). Plus she never seemed interested in anyone during the course of the series. I basically love Luna btw.

Last, what do you guys think of Daria? In the series she seems to enjoy kissing but is very afraid of having sex. It could just be as she says that she's afraid of that level of intimacy, but I could kind of relate to her when I was a teenager.

• 4 weeks later...

Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist (from the manga and 2nd series). Definitely. She's in her mid to late thirties and she states she has never been interested in having children or a relationship.

Also, Kanda from D.Gray-man is confirmed to be asexual.

Can't think of any others right now....non-Japanese examples, at least. Japan seems to have less obscure asexy characters than America, that is, if you are a fan of that stuff.

Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist (from the manga and 2nd series). Definitely. She's in her mid to late thirties and she states she has never been interested in having children or a relationship.

I love Olivier so much. She kicks so much ass.

Recently I was thinking about Anne of Green Gables. I think Marilla and Matthew could qualify--well, Matthew absolutely for certain, but Marilla falls in love once, gets in an argument, and never again considers getting married.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Frontier_Rhesus

One of the rules of One Piece is that there isn't any romance, but specifically, Monkey D. Luffy is a textbook asexual. He is so cool >.>

Also his brother's name is Ace, but that's just a coincidence :P

One of the rules of One Piece is that there isn't any romance, but specifically, Monkey D. Luffy is a textbook asexual. He is so cool >.>

Also his brother's name is Ace, but that's just a coincidence :P

Ace! ::sob::

geek-in-a-half-shell

Shatterstar from Marvel's X-factor is asexual. He's an alien from 100 years from the future and because of his programming he has trouble connecting with human culture, including sex. He's turned down countless women, but he kissed his best friend, Rictor (another guy) in Volume 3 (I believe) #45. I think he might be considered a "gay" character now, but I still consider him an asexual. Regardless of how cute I think they look together.

Not a fan of Twilight. Not my thing...

These may be some obscure references

August Dupin, from Poe's Purloined Letter and Murder in the Rue Morgue

John Silence, the Ghost Hunter.

Ishmael, from Moby Dick??

• Like 1

Nenene from R.O.D - The TV. First I thought she was a lesbian but apparently not and it's stated she's never had and never wants a boyfriend. I put it down to be aromantic but likes a lot of friends. There's also Michelle and Maggie but since nothing is stated about romance about those two it could be anything.

Claude from Grand Theft Auto 3 because whenever you pick up a prositute they don't actually do anything. They just sit there and she takes your money. <_< I demand his asexuality.

• 2 months later...

As I recall, the "Ian Flemming" book version of "From Russia with Love" the Russian assassin was asexual (killing gave him a sexual pleasure). That was no doubt the perception of asexuality that some people have. :(

Sam, from "Sam & Max." And I'm going to say maybe with Max, because he does appear to have a libido at certain times (however, in one particular instance, Max says he was "never really interested" in girls, but only after Sam said that Max "didn't like girls"). Sam, on the other hand, has never shown an actual romantic interest in anyone, at least to my knowledge. The strongest relationship he has is with Max, and it would appear that their particular relationship is merely a very close, platonic one.

Read more about Sam & Max's relationship here: [link]

Dr. Deceit

This is of course purely speculation on my part, but:

L from Death Note? Anyone?

Of course, he's a big fan (apparently, although I don't really trust anything he says to be true) of Misa, but I've never gotten the vibe that he wants to have sex with her. He seems to be fascinated by her bubbly personality and a little out of his element. There's all that stuff aoubt L and Light being in a sexual relationship, but I have my doubts. Light seems to think no one's good enough for him, especially some bug-eyed weirdo who eats cake all day.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I think L would make a GREAT asexual buddy.

Oh, and of course, Zim and all the other Irkens are asexual and aromantic (and actually reproduce through cloning). Although I don't know how much we want to be counting cyborg aliens. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched "The men who stare at goats" and I think that the Lyn Cassady character (who may or may not be based on a real person, haven't checked) may be asexual.

Guest Viinasu

*sees death note post* yeah, L does seem kinda asexy to me....

i don't know if many people on here watch anime, but.... cc from code geass seemed asexual to me... so did rolo and nunally.... maybe even lelouch..... O.o

lots of characters on naruto seem asexual to me, too... sasuke especially.... he could be gay though... XD

gaara, kakashi (i think he's a romantic asexual though), neji, and itachi all seem asexual to me too..... i dunno, a lot of fans take a male character's apparent lack of interest in girls as homosexuality.... i don't really know what to make of a lot of naruto characters....

WinglessAngel

I think Sherlock Holmes is an asexual character.

Ah, Holmes most definitely! My absolute favorite asexy, despite the recent movie :angry:

Damn Hollywood.....