Purposely misspelling your child's name

funaladanaly

Purposely misspelling a child's name is:  

1. 1.

• Unique and sets the child apart in a positive way
    • Shortsighted. The child will face a lifetime of corrections and possibly ridicule
    • Ignorant. I'd refer to the child by the proper phonetical spelling, even if it sounded as stupid as the "correct" spelling looks.
    • Ignorant on the parent's part.
    • I don't particularly care.

Hallucigenia
I'm trying to decide whether I prefer Geoffrey to Jeffery.

There's a bunch of Geoffreys in my city, for some reason, and they're all very interesting people. So I'd go for that one if I was you.

(Most people in my part of the world know how to pronounce and spell "Geoffrey", although I know a guy in California who had never heard of it before. But the worst you can really do to that name is pronounce it "Gee-off", which isn't so terrible imo.)

Schala Zeal
I've got a name that I have to spell out for people frequently enough. That's cool, though, because the alternate, more 'common' spellings of it are kinda ugly-lookin' to me. and everyone I've ever known who's had my phonetic name but spelled it differently has been kinda evil.

People can go overboard with spellings sometimes, I guess. Kaydenc is kind of lame (especially since 'Cadence' is neat when it's spelled correctly), Ylyzbyth is bizarre... but in looking through that 'bad baby names' website, so many of those names are actually really cool. At least they're being creative-- and it seems that the people commenting on the names have a pretty narrow concept of what's normal and acceptable.

They also seem to get really defensive when people call 'em on it. Meh.

Thing is, I know a few people with highly uncommon names that seem like the kind of thing people would suggest on that website-- and although they may not have liked the names so much when they were younger, nowadays I swear every time I introduce them to others or refer to them in conversation, people always got somethin' to say about how great those names are. And they're memorable, at that. So basically... odds are that it's not going to SCAR THEM FOR LIFE if they have something other than a wallpaper name like Matt or Katie or whatever.

Another thing I don't like is samie-namies, esp. on twins. Tim and Jim, Todd and Rod etc.

This makes me smile, thinking of how I know a guy who wants to have triplets and name them Crash, Smash and Flash. I kinda really hope that happens for him, because that would just be ....classic.

Sounds like me.

Legal name, that I practically don't use anymore, and until my new name is my legal name, is Michel...but anyone seeing me assumes it's Michelle or Michèle (French-spelling) since Michel is a guy's name mostly (99.8%).

Now with the new name, Sara, I got to remind them 'no h'. All the time.

Archived