When did you realize you were ace ?

I was 19 and reflecting back on my first and only (failed). That relationship ended when my SO asked to kiss me and I found I just couldn’t do it. It was like pushing two same-end magnets together. So I did some googling, found out asexuality was a thing, and immediately understood myself a lot better. 

I discovered I was ace in high school/college. I kept my orientation a secret because of my autism, I knew people like my family were going to try to "fix" me. I never dated except when I fell in love with a few friends I knew for a while. First, it was a girl my age in middle school, she was a manipulative bitch and we broke up. then it was a male friend I knew for years but it never evolved past a crush that died over the years, and a girl in college but again just a very short-lived crush. I never thought once about having sex with these people. I was never the popular kid, I never got the culture around having sex or finding people sexy on campus. I mostly show my love for someone through gifting or loyalty. A plushie or video game or hell, even a La Croix is better than sex. I don't even want to try sex. The only thing I beat myself up on is having an active libido, but I'm trying to tell myself that I'm still valid.  

Ace_Anthropology

I started suspecting something freshman year of high school, but didn't really avoided thinking too hard on it until after breaking up with my ex. I then spent my junior year knowing but just kinda not looking to hard into it. It was only Senior year I started researching and really started my journey and more recently really come to terms with it. 

Diana Swords
On 5/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, hudsonvalley76 said:

Please don't respond to my posts.

Don't post anything on a forum if you don't want to get replies. Put a gag in your mouth and sit silently. 

MarziAsterea

When I was 18 (Early 2020) when someone in my college class mentioned it (I don't remember why). I did some research about asexuality later that day and realised that I was Asexual. I knew about about the more well known identites but not asexual as i was never taught about it. I was actually so relieved that there were people who felt the same way i did.

hudsonvalley76
On 6/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, Diana Swords said:

Don't post anything on a forum if you don't want to get replies. Put a gag in your mouth and sit silently. 

You're a disgusting person. Again, DON'T REPLY TO MY POSTS!!!

• Like 1

I had recently turned 17 and something clicked where I realized that I had never wanted to see anyone naked in my life ever, even fictional characters, and I wasn’t sure whether that was normal. After talking to friends and learning more about asexuality I realized that sexual attraction was not the same as romantic attraction as I had always assumed, and in fact people did have all these desires and attractions to people that I didn’t. 

Psychology class in college, so I was about 21–22.

the teacher was like “asexuals don’t experience sexual attraction (or something along those lines)” and my brain immediately went “a-ha!” A lot of things made sooo much sense then.

maybe about  2-3 years ago I figured out where in the asexuality subset I feel more comfortable in. 

Summer before high school: I read a book with a biromantic ace minor character in it. I looked up the definition for asexual on google, and a lightbulb turned on in my mind 

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone.

This is a friendly Admod reminder that members have the option to put another member on "ignore," to not see their posts, if they wish. Please, remember the TOS regarding personal insults.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/19982-the-aven-terms-of-service-tos/2.2a

2.2a Personal Insults

Personally insulting other users in any way is unacceptable. Calling people insulting or offensive names, troll-calling, bigoted, etc is not acceptable. Nor is Insulting people by using their race, sex, gender identity or expression, creed, disability, nationality, or sexual orientation as a way of insulting a member. 

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge and Alternate Language moderator

• 1 month later...

Last year. My friends were talking about sex, I couldn’t relate, and one of them introduced me to the term. I did a little research and decided that it fit.

A day after my 15th birthday. I saw a clip of sex education on YouTube talking about asexuality, then found a tedtalk that explained it. I realized I was asexual basically as soon as I understood what it is