*SQUISH!*

Raisin

I FINALLY HAVE A NAME FOR IT!!!

I've been trying for a looong, loooong time how to describe the "crushes" I get on people. It was getting frustrating having to say "I got crushes on people, but they weren't really crushes because blah blah, and so blah blah blah......."

So I finally decided to just pick a word, and I'm calling them SQUISHES.

A "crush" is when you find a person attractive, and you have some desire to date or otherwise be romantically involved with this person. I read somewhere that the word "smash" was used to describe an overwhelming feeling of lust for another person, even if you felt no romantic desire for that person.

When I got "crushes" on people in middle school and high school, I didn't actually want to date them. There was just something about them that I liked. I wanted to get to know them better. I wanted to talk to them, just be around them. At the time, I don't think I realized that my "crushes" were so harmless, but looking back, I distinctly recall that I never actually wanted to become romantically involved with any of these people. I also remember that I had crushes on both girls and boys.

I decided to use the word "squish" to describe these feelings, because they aren't as intense as "crushes" or "smashes". Like I said, I just have a desire to talk to the person and be friends with them. I may desire romance for a brief period of time, but then I'll be over it and I'll be glad that desire passed.

There's one guy that I have a squish on right now. He's very sexual, so I know a relationship would never work out. And that's fine by me. I don't care if he ends up with a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, because I don't want to be exclusive with him, I don't want to date or have sex with him. I just want to spend some time with him, talking and laughing.

Anyone else get "squishes" on people? :)

Hahaha oh that's such a cute word for it!

:)

I think a lot of people here get "squishes".

I'm just curious really, why 'squishies'? :)

For a moment I thought this was going to be a post about splatting bugs... sorry... :lol: I think it also makes me think of ice drinks/milkshakes... although I guess that would be 'slushies' :?:

Squish could also make me think of when someone tightly hugs someone and they get squished though... :lol:

Squish on urbandictionary.com (the wiki of slang, although most entries are humorous) has various entries ranging from platonic to sexual but I guess maybe you got it from here?:

"3. n. In the old Nickelodeon cartoon "Aaah, Real Monsters!", a squish was when a monster mildly liked another monster. Their form of a crush.

3. In one episode of "Aaah, Real Monsters", Ickis thought that Oblina had a squish on him."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squish

Aah Real Monsters was a cool show.

I'm just curious really, why 'squishies'? :)

I just made it up. I didn't feel comfortable using the word "crush" to describe my feelings about other people, and I thought "squish" was sort of a milder synonym for the word "crush."

Squish on urbandictionary.com (the wiki of slang, although most entries are humorous) has various entries ranging from platonic to sexual but I guess maybe you got it from here?:

"3. n. In the old Nickelodeon cartoon "Aaah, Real Monsters!", a squish was when a monster mildly liked another monster. Their form of a crush.

3. In one episode of "Aaah, Real Monsters", Ickis thought that Oblina had a squish on him."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squish

Aah Real Monsters was a cool show.

Dude, I totally forgot about that! I didn't get "squish" from there, and I'd completely forgotten that other places used "squish" in that sense. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Nalle Neversure

Me! Me! I get "squishes"!!

I think I never have had a "real" crush (or smash) on someone. "Squish" describes my feelings much better. :D

I wanna squeeze them! 415.gif

Thank you for that lovely term, Raisin! hug_squeeze.gif

Don't think I like the word 'squish' but I get those too. Not very often at all though... I feel all fluffy around them and want to be around them~

i kind of like the term, since a lot of the time i sort of have that when i am friends with someone but it's sort of a mushy kind of friendship, or when i'm unusually fascinated by someone i've just met, sort of a "i have really got to get to know and be close to this person." but it's just a desire for a deeper friendship, not a relationship. (i think i listed myself as a somewhat romantic asexual but anymore i'm thinking that certain things prevent a relationship, but i do have lots of mushy friendships to sustain me.)

i guess i could add to the term, a squish is sort of a desire for a friendship where love wouldn't be too strong of a term to use for the feelings you share with the person.

Nice term. 8)

I like that. :D And, yeah, I get loads of squishes on people. 8) :D

There's one guy that I have a squish on right now.
Hehe, sorry that just sounds really funny! I like it though! I think I have a squish on someone at the moment. I'm not attracted to her but I like spending time with her.

Or, you could say you're squishing someone. :D :D :lol:

I never knew about "smash" :shock: Kind of strange... but squish works very nicely :)

I get 'squishes' all the time, well described, and a cool idea for finally naming that feeling. The only thing is, it's also my cat's name, so I can't say it without thinking of the little freak. :wink:

I hadn't heard of 'smash' either, so the choice of 'squish' seems even more appropriate considering.

I'm also prone to developing squishes, especially when my hormones are running wild. (Darn those crazy hormones, making me like people.. :P ) Is it still a squish if it's on someone you've known for a long time but have just recently developed a desire to know better?

Squishes that is such a cute word for it :P

I've never had a crush but I've had plenty of squishes. Can you have more than one at once? I think I have a few at the moment...

Hmmm... I guess that's sorta how I'd describe my strange fascinations with certain people that makes me want to hang out with them and befriend them. I don't ever want to date them or have some romantic relationship with them, just to be good friends with them. :)

You know I think there was already a term for that and it was "wanting to be friends." I applaud your creativity, but I dislike inventing words.

You know I think there was already a term for that and it was "wanting to be friends."

Well, yeah....but I always thought of it as more than just "wanting to be friends." Most of the time, I'm already friends with them, I just want something more, but not in a romantic sense...I don't know. I don't really have a way with words, so I just make up my own. :P

A "crush" is when you find a person attractive, and you have some desire to date or otherwise be romantically involved with this person. I read somewhere that the word "smash" was used to describe an overwhelming feeling of lust for another person, even if you felt no romantic desire for that person.

**brain storm**

Does anyone find it odd that we use the words "crush" and "smash" to describe having a romantic/sexual attraction toward someone?

And where did this terminology come from anyway. Someone just thought one day that they liked someone so much that they could just "crush" them in their embrace. Or does this derive from some sort of sexual fetishism?

**cartoonish thought**

Imagines the abomidable snow man crushing on Bugs bunny.

"Oh, I love them so much I'm going to sqeeze them and hug them and stroke them and pet them and touch them and kiss them and crush them and smash em' ..."

• 2 years later...

*waves hand in air* I get squishes!! I get crushes too, but I love the word 'squish' as a way of describing the feelings you mentioned. It's sort of like a 'friend crush', and I get them all the time.

I FINALLY HAVE A NAME FOR IT!!!

I've been trying for a looong, loooong time how to describe the "crushes" I get on people. It was getting frustrating having to say "I got crushes on people, but they weren't really crushes because blah blah, and so blah blah blah......."

So I finally decided to just pick a word, and I'm calling them SQUISHES.

When I got "crushes" on people in middle school and high school, I didn't actually want to date them. There was just something about them that I liked. I wanted to get to know them better. I wanted to talk to them, just be around them. At the time, I don't think I realized that my "crushes" were so harmless, but looking back, I distinctly recall that I never actually wanted to become romantically involved with any of these people. I also remember that I had crushes on both girls and boys.

I decided to use the word "squish" to describe these feelings, because they aren't as intense as "crushes" or "smashes". Like I said, I just have a desire to talk to the person and be friends with them. I may desire romance for a brief period of time, but then I'll be over it and I'll be glad that desire passed.

There's one guy that I have a squish on right now. He's very sexual, so I know a relationship would never work out. And that's fine by me. I don't care if he ends up with a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, because I don't want to be exclusive with him, I don't want to date or have sex with him. I just want to spend some time with him, talking and laughing.

I have a crush and a squish at the moment. Curse this male polyamourous nature of mine.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I used to say I got "friend-crushes", which involve me feeling very impressed by somebody or thinking that we'd get along really well; as a result I really want to be friends with the person. I'm told these feelings are stronger than the feelings most people have for friends. But perhaps now I can call my "friend-crushes" "squishes".

I had a gay squish a year or two ago. He's just so awesome that even the guys want to be friends with him! :lol:

CrochetFool

Okay, I *love* it! *adds it to her vocabulary*

I love that this thread has been revived, so damn much.

*squishes it*

I always just referred to them as 'friend crushes'. I've only ever had one 'crush at first sight' crush on a girl, but I didn't want to date her or anything because I didn't know her. In fact when she started talking to me I got really nervous and wanted to run away. And I could never 'like' someone like that purely based on appearance. Otherwise I've just had 'friend crushes'. When I first saw the person, I didn't think 'oh they're hot' but after getting to know them there was this attraction that made me want to be around them, and I know it's not love or anything like that because I've gotten the same feeling around guys.

Archived