*SQUISH!*

Raisin

I added "squish" to the Urban dictionary: everyone go vote it up so it can rise in the rankings! (Or write your own definition)

Raisin, I bow to you and salute you in all commendatory means!

This is the perfect term for this! I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad you came up with this word!! In hindsight, most of my 'crushes' have been 'squishes'.... that longing to get to know somebody more and be around them - just something about them that you can't put your finger on.

Personally, though, often with squishes i've found that the squish disappears as I spend more time with the person. I was wondering whether, for me, maybe i'm drawn in more by the mystery of the person.

But yes, squishes. I haven't had one of those for a while now.

Oh, so that's what a squish is! I seen it a few times around here and wondered if this was what it meant.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to add my "yes, I get these".

I never once thought I might actually fancy them, perhaps because it was never very intense, or because the idea of doing anything other than talking never even entered my mind.

I've always usually referred to the as "friendship crushes". Although I don't really like the term "crush" I've never come up with anything better.

TBH, I don't think I like squish...it sounds a bit...squishy. :P

It might grow on me though.

• 1 year later...
BollywoodFan

I haven't seen this question here - does it also apply to celebrities?

I don't want to have sex with Hrithik Roshan, I just like looking at him. (Plus, he's married. I am a decent Southern Lady, after all.)

And that explains the visual love for female celebrities - I'm shallow, I like pretty people*. Though I do think a lot of people are cute/pretty/handsome. (Like most people I see. I'm not kidding.)

Though I tried to make an argument that Shahrukh Khan's abs were definitely relevant to geology because I blanked on every quiz question and started writing song lyrics.

*In the movie Yakeen, before all the twists, a husband and wife get in a car wreck. The wife is willing to pay anything, anything to get her husband's face back. Her husband? Arjun freaking Rampal. My thought was "if my husband's face looked like that, I'd want it back too!" Not because I want to marry him or have sex with him, I just like looking at him.

(Just pretend you know who these people are. Or google image search them. If you like looking at pretty people, I am not responsible for any reaction. A friend of mine actually fainted during a Hrithik movie. (She's not asexual.) When I watched Housefull and Arjun's entrance involved his whole face taking up the screen, I could believe it. I was twitterpated.)

• 4 months later...

I have a squish. My best friend on his good days and my worst enemy on his bad days. Today's a bad day... >.< But I know it'll pass.

He knows he's my squish. He doesn't really like the fact that I like him that much (it's not because he doesn't like me, but he doesn't think he's worthy of my affection), but he puts up with me.

A "crush" is when you find a person attractive

Not necessarily. There only needs to be some aspect of that person that you find extraordinarily likable despite not knowing that person very well.

I have a squish. I've known him for years and we've hung out in the same posse, but we don't really know each other very well. I know he's ridiculously intelligent, though, and he wants to stay in-state for college so he can come see his girlfriend. Which is okay. I'd just like to be able to hang around doing nothing with him and talking like I do with my other friends, but I end up stuttering and generally acting like an idiot when he's around (it's so hard to talk to people you know are so much smarter than you!). Probably the only reason why we aren't better friends is because everyone insists that we'd make a "cute couple" and that he has some sort of crush on me, which is totally untrue on both counts. Ever have everyone stare at you when you're just trying to ask someone how they've been lately? It's really irritating.

This is the perfect terminology for it! :cake: , for this! :wub:

The trouble with my squishes these days is that, with my current obsession with old biographies and autobiographies, I am having the squishies on dead people. I keep reading about Percy Shelley and having a complete squishy on the guy. He seems like such a fascinating character, especially considering the era he was born in.

I keep to myself so much, but as I work on being more outgoing, I look forward to having a squishy that may be returned someday~

EDIT: ACK. But I just realized the complication of perpetual mutual squishing when one of the members has a significant other. Hopefully, squishes can find the power to maintain themselves despite outside romance! It often seems in romances vs. friendships, the friends lose, but I'm sure it's not always like that, and no one need lose any important partnership.

...I hope, lol.

I am having the squishies on dead people.

I'm the same way with fictional characters, most recently Quorra from Tron: Legacy :wub: (the Amazon description writes that "if the entire movie could be nothing but the shot of her lounging on a futuristic sofa, it would be a masterpiece")

When I read the word 'squish', I thought of grabbing boobs.

Sorry.

Really sorry.

I've had a few of those. When I was smaller, I thought I had a crush on my friend's big brother, but thinking better, I never thought anything romantic of him, I just thought he was a nice, interesting guy. Aaand I told my friend and now she doesn't believe I've never had a crush on anyone. Now there's one guy at school I'd like to get to know. He's dating one of my friends, and I'm happy for them, so I really can't call it a crush either...

I am having the squishies on dead people.

I'm the same way with fictional characters, most recently Quorra from Tron: Legacy :wub: (the Amazon description writes that "if the entire movie could be nothing but the shot of her lounging on a futuristic sofa, it would be a masterpiece")

I havent seen this movie yet, but i want to just from seeing her in promos and such. She is a particularly lovely human being :wub:

I havent seen this movie yet, but i want to just from seeing her in promos and such. She is a particularly lovely human being :wub:

Dude, you MUST see it ASAP. It excels in every possible way: the visuals, the score, the core characters, and even the story, despite the comments of critics who were too busy going "ooh, shiny" at the lightcycles to notice how good the story really is.

Yeah, I love squishes too :wub: I don't get them often but I think the world would be a boring place without them.

• 2 months later...
purplerain12

Now that I think about it, yes I do get squishes all the time. I was kind of embarrassed to tell anyone since it's kind of a taboo that you like someone yet don't like to go out with them.

Yay, someone else who digs up old threads (I've been doing that a lot lately). :)

Somehow I got confused when I was first reading about asexuality, and got the impression that a crush involved sexual feelings and a squish did not, but now I see that the crush/squish distinction is actually romantic/platonic, and has nothing to do with sexual feelings. (I had never heard of smash before.)

Based on this, I definitely have a squish on my best friend. I've known her for eight years, and it dies down *some* (not a ton, but enough) when I don't see her, but as soon as I have the prospect of seeing her at some point or I actually do spend time with her in person, it gets right back intense again. She's the most important person in the world to me, and I love her dearly in a wonderfully intense friendshippy way.

Since we're already friends, I don't really experience any tongue-tiedness, and she's thankfully a bit oblivious of a person so I don't think she's ever thought I had a crush on her. We just have a very close friendship. Unfortunately, what I *wish* we had was a romantic friendship (which is not necessarily romantic, and I don't want a romantic relationship with her, lol) and Boston marriage (share house and home the rest of our lives in a non-sexual, non-romantic way), but I don't think that will be happening in any likelihood. *sigh* Oh well. As long as I have her friendship, that means a LOT to me.

Little Else

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of thing. YAY!

Story time: last year my friend, A, found out about my squish, B. A then informed B that I liked her without my permission or knowledge, at a time when B and I interacted quite a bit and were starting to be friendly with each other. Bad move. Things got awkward between B and I and we were never really friends. Now that last year's over, I don't think I'll see B ever again. Siiigh. I really wanted to be good friends with B. I was disappointed and upset with A for quite some time after that.

inter\m/ent

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of thing. YAY!

Story time: last year my friend, A, found out about my squish, B. A then informed B that I liked her without my permission or knowledge, at a time when B and I interacted quite a bit and were starting to be friendly with each other. Bad move. Things got awkward between B and I and we were never really friends. Now that last year's over, I don't think I'll see B ever again. Siiigh. I really wanted to be good friends with B. I was disappointed and upset with A for quite some time after that.

I had doubts about not telling my friend A about B, my very first squish possibly but now much less so, thanks Little Else. Although A overshared a lot about B to me, I'm hoping it's not both ways, then again I'd get extremely self-conscious if I knew, but I want to know. Why am I even friends with A?! argh

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS WORD! I had a major squish on this guy in 7th grade, but everyone thought I had a crush on him. I tried to explain that I just wanted to be friends with him and get to know him, but they wouldn't have it. To tell the truth, I was really jealous of him (my being trans and all). I'm going to try and spread this around. I will promote it on Urban Dictionary as well.

MAJOR :cake: :cake: :cake: FOR YOU. :)

Lol, years ago I was rambling on about my current college roommate, and my best friend over IM was all "it almost sounds like you go through girls like other people go through boyfriends", and I just kinda brushed it off and didn't think about it . . . but I *definitely* had a squish on my roommate then, now that I look at it. I still haven't sorted out whether what I feel for my best friend is a really intense squish or a halfway crush (or a sqush, pronounced "skwush", as a friend mashed 'em together for the fun of it) (or just plain love without any attraction whatsoever), but that comment really got me looking at things and noticing that, yes, I did have squishes, and my best friend was perceptive enough to notice that, even if she didn't have a word for it.

...What I mean is, I must get these all the time... Does it count if it's for both genders? [Bromance?]

• 3 years later...
CheshireKitten

Well that's interesting. I'm sexual and some not-yet-really-explored shade of romantic but I get squishes too. Guess it's a spectrum too, no surprise there actually. From what I understand of what a squish is according to OP it sounds to me like squish is a component in a crush. I at least can't find a way to separate crush from squish even though I can separate squish from crush.

Also squish, crush, smash. Hah. It's the small joys in life.

Archived