*SQUISH!*

Raisin

There definitely needs to be a word for this but "squish" sounds kind of moist.

I like the term squish; it's adorable. It reminds me of a joke about constant rain - oh well. :rolleyes:

I've had a few of these. People have a habit of mistaking them for crushes, tsk tsk.

FallenAngel

haha I love it!! You're officially mad cool for coming up with that.

It's so cutee. you're a genius :D

pawprint prettysure
When I got "crushes" on people in middle school and high school, I didn't actually want to date them. There was just something about them that I liked. I wanted to get to know them better. I wanted to talk to them, just be around them.

Oh yeah. I have squishes. It's a lovely word, by the way. I love it :wub:

Right now I have an avenite-squish :ph34r:

TheMuffinMan

I hate to be the skeptical one here, but what exactly is the difference between this and wanting to be friends with someone?

frozen moment
I hate to be the skeptical one here, but what exactly is the difference between this and wanting to be friends with someone?

There's a big difference. Maybe if you've never felt it, it might be hard to imagine... but it's just like having a crush, only platonically. For me at least (I'm not sure if this goes for everyone), I really look forward to seeing them, I think about them a lot, I have a very high opinion of them, and I really care about their opinion of me.

Other friendships develop because you just happen to spend time with the person... but I will go out of my way to spend time with my squishes, (this week I went to uni when I was sick without really needing to, because my squish asked if I was coming to a revision lecture, sort of (I hope) implying that if I was coming he would come), and I get super-elated when I get any kind of proof that they like me/want to spend time with me.

lol! sorry, but I can't say I agree... it just reminds me of a really tight hug. ^__^ Which fits nicely.

TheMuffinMan

I dunno. I always classified friendships that developed just because you happened to be spending time with someone for other reasons (professional, what have you) as...acquaintances, I suppose (hope I didn't spell that wrong.)

I don't think 'going out of your way to see them' and 'being happy to spend time with them' are really all that different from a regular friend...Although you may be right. Perhaps I simply really haven't experienced it.

I think I still prefer to use the term "crush" for all of these situations. ;) But anyway, the desire to get to know someone can sometimes be a lot more intense for certain people I know, with lots of happy fuzzy feelings associated with it. But it doesn't happen with every person that I'm wanting to get to know better.

frozen moment

Yeah, I think it's the happy fuzzy feelings also that make it a squish. I don't like calling it a crush because people take that wrongly.

And, TheMuffinMan, don't know about you but I've made some really close friends simply because I happened to spend time with them. Starts out as an aquaintance, sure, but it can easily develop into a friendship. I've never had a real squish on my closest friends.

And yeah, being happy to spend time with them and going out of your way to do so, that can happen in a normal friendship... for me it's mainly the really high opinion you have of them, and the worrying about their opinion excessively, and the extreme feelings of happiness when you get any kind of hint that they think highly of you, that makes it a squish rather than a friendship.

TheMuffinMan

I don't know. I don't want to offend, but worrying that much about another person's opinion of you seems kind of...submissive? Servile? If you're going to be good friends, they should naturally have a high opinion of you, based on compatibility. Worrying about someone's opinion of me-I do that more with authority figures who I respect rather than friends.

SecretSaucer

I love squishes! I never get them on people I know well, though, and I think that would be exciting. haha since it's a platonic crush, it could also be called a "plush," which would majorly suck because then it'd be associated with the dreaded plushies.

frozen moment
I don't know. I don't want to offend, but worrying that much about another person's opinion of you seems kind of...submissive? Servile? If you're going to be good friends, they should naturally have a high opinion of you, based on compatibility. Worrying about someone's opinion of me-I do that more with authority figures who I respect rather than friends.

No offence taken; I think it's a bit weird myself. The thing is, I do regard these particular friends with a great deal of respect. It's generally when I look up to them a lot that I squish on them and that I worry about their opinions. This is probably why my best friends are not those I've had huge squishes on.

frozen moment

PS.

I love squishes! I never get them on people I know well, though, and I think that would be exciting. haha since it's a platonic crush, it could also be called a "plush," which would majorly suck because then it'd be associated with the dreaded plushies.

plush! that made me laugh.

YES, YES, YES. I will probably use this. I've had squishes. For me it's the nervous, butterflies in my stomach feelings. Usually I don't want to date them, and sex was never a goal. Using the word squish would avoid all the assumptions people would make if I used the word crush.

Yeah, I know this feeling, and get what's being described as "squishes" all the time. ^_^

I'm so glad we have a term for it. I was getting tired of going "Well, I get things that are sort of like crushes...just without most of the crush." :/

I have one on my BFF currently. :D

Sparky9738
The thing is, I do regard these particular friends with a great deal of respect. It's generally when I look up to them a lot that I squish on them and that I worry about their opinions. This is probably why my best friends are not those I've had huge squishes on.

Frozen Moment, you have a point there, and I didn't realize it until now. I have 2 squishes going on at the moment--both work friends--and you've made me realize that precisely because I do have squishes on them we will never be close friends the way I want us to be. I care about their opinions too much. Which sucks.

It's a total Zen thing, isn't it? I mean, friendship in general is. If you try to catch it, it will fly away.

Or something.

WhimsicalEsper

THIS IS AWESOME!

Finally, there's a term for it. And it's cute too. I approve!

frozen moment
Frozen Moment, you have a point there, and I didn't realize it until now. I have 2 squishes going on at the moment--both work friends--and you've made me realize that precisely because I do have squishes on them we will never be close friends the way I want us to be. I care about their opinions too much. Which sucks.

Don't lose hope though. I've accepted that I'll never be 'best friends' with some of my squishes, and to be honest, I find it so amazing that they want to be friends with me at all (they're very different to me, and I have fairly low self-esteem!) that I'm happy with the "friend but not close friend" relationship we have.

However, the guy I'm squishing on at the moment, I think this is a different kind of squish because it started not long after I met him, and I don't have the same level of admiration for him as I've had for other people (probably cos I don't know him well enough), and therefore don't worry so much about his opinion (I do worry, but it's not... excessive). He seems to enjoy my company (I think) so I'm sort of hoping that this squish will turn into a good friendship...

It's a total Zen thing, isn't it? I mean, friendship in general is. If you try to catch it, it will fly away.

but yeah, I've wondered about that before...

I think I understand what you mean. There's a girl at school, we connect quite a bit, but I hardly ever see her because she has a boyfriend... anyway, she's cute and very likeable... but I don't have any sexual or romantic desire for her at all; instead, I really want to be her (though being good friends would have come in a close second if circumstances allowed that).

Haha, I don't quite understand why you chose that term, but it's cute enough.

And yes, I get them all the time, sometimes on multiple people at the same time. Usually once I get to know the person or meet someone that catches my interest way more, it wears off. (:

jadedxmemoriz

That is so cute - glad to hear there are other people out there who experience it too...so far 'squishes' are the only type of attraction I've felt towards people, and they are just as likely to be male or female...I find it a huge hassle to say 'my -crush- is a girl, I know, but I'm not lesbian, because blah blah blah...' :P

For a long time though, I did call them 'crushes', way back when I held the illusion that most people were asexual or demisexual and sexual people were in the minority :D ...but for some reason it didn't seem quite right, and the lesbian accusation was a big hint.

But I've had all sorts of interesting reactions, for one very few of them developed into an actual friendship, and with the ones that did, the squish wore off rather quickly. One lady I think, got freaked out thinking I had an actual crush on her, and deliberately started avoiding me...

Jillianimal

There's a big difference. Maybe if you've never felt it, it might be hard to imagine... but it's just like having a crush, only platonically. For me at least (I'm not sure if this goes for everyone), I really look forward to seeing them, I think about them a lot, I have a very high opinion of them, and I really care about their opinion of me.

Other friendships develop because you just happen to spend time with the person... but I will go out of my way to spend time with my squishes, (this week I went to uni when I was sick without really needing to, because my squish asked if I was coming to a revision lecture, sort of (I hope) implying that if I was coming he would come), and I get super-elated when I get any kind of proof that they like me/want to spend time with me.

lol! sorry, but I can't say I agree... it just reminds me of a really tight hug. ^__^ Which fits nicely.

That's a really good way of putting it ^_^

But I like plushies. What's wrong with plushies? :P (Plushies are stuffed toys, right? Or it it slang for something I don't know that's not so cute and fluffy?)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived