not asexuality, but poss of interest

echidna

I recently attended a conference on sexology and sexual health. Some of the presentations I attended were by people who have written books that might be of interest to AVENites (I haven't read any of these and I don't know anything about the authors except what they said in their talks so I'm not giving a personal recommendation.)

Rosie King gave an excellent presentation on Sexual Desire Discrepancy. Since asexuals with sexual partners suffer the ulimate form of desire discrepancy, you may like to read Good Loving Great Sex – finding balance when your sex drives differ. Dr Rosie King. 1997. (Arrow)

Stephen Levine gave a 'thought-provoking' perspective on what love is. Sex was a minor component of the talk and his book may give encouragement to those who battle with perceptions that love=sex. I haven’t read the book and someone told me he suggested in his workshop that asexuals don’t exist so I suggest this with caution! Demystifying Love: Plain Talk for the Mental Health Professional, Stephen B Levine, 2006 (Brunner-Routledge).

Sandra Pertot presented the case that expectations for an amazing sex life have been raised too high and people would be happier if they could settle for ‘good enough’ rather than ‘like in romantic films’. Low desire is often seen as a problem when it should be accepted as the natural state for many people. This isn’t of direct relevance to asexuality but I got the impression that asexuals aren’t as far away from the majority of people as it sometimes feels. Her book on this is Perfectly Normal: Living and Loving with Low Libido. Sandra Pertot. 2005 (Rodale).

Archived