Age at Realizing Asexuality

agentkgb

How old were you when you decided you were asexual?  

1. 1.

• After 40
    • 32-40
    • 26-32
    • 19-21
    • 17-18
    • 15-16
    • 12-14
    • 0-11
    • I'm not asexual or haven't decided what my orientation is, but I enjoy voting in polls
    • 21-26

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm wondering how old people were when they realized they were asexual. Also, though it's not in the poll since that would be around a gazillion options, was that at the same time you heard of it, the same time you actually learned what it was, or some time after?

(sorry in advance if that has been done before, I searched the census forum but didn't see it)

Nalle Neversure

I voted for that last option, 'cause I'm not sure about my (possible) asexuality.

On the other hand, i found out that there was such a thing as asexuality, when i was 19. And considering the fact that I'm still here... :D

I'm not sure how to vote. I never saw the appeal in sex or romance, by early high school knew I was asexual, but had no term for it, nor did I know there were others. The very instant I read the New Scientist article, I knew that was me they were talking about, but I knew I was A long before I had a term for it.

I actually realized that there was something different about me when I was 16, I think. I didn't actually have a term or realization for it until a couple months ago, though, when I saw the Wikipedia article. For the record, I'm 19.

lovesbadmusic
I'm not sure how to vote. I never saw the appeal in sex or romance, by early high school knew I was asexual, but had no term for it, nor did I know there were others. The very instant I read the New Scientist article, I knew that was me they were talking about, but I knew I was A long before I had a term for it.

That's exactly how I was. I had to kick the idea around for a while before really coming to terms with it. I actually found this board a couple of years back but wasn't ready at the time to admit what I was. It was hard for me to come to terms with being different from the majority of the population. I did know that the description I read was frightening like me the first time I read it. So probably around 28. I'm 30 now.

I've got to say, I'm a lot more comfortable with it now that I know there are others. I find it reassuring to know I'm not alone.

Frigid Pink

I was 19.

It was the first time I had ever heard of asexuality applied to humans (I'm a Biology Major).

I thought about it for a little over a month and discussed it with some friends before identifying with the label.

I believe I have always been asexual, I just haven't always had a name for what I am.

I first realized it when I was 18, but I didn't know that it was an orientation or that it had a name until two years later.

sp0ntane0us

I was 14 when I realised that I didn't want to have anything to do with romance, marriage, or sex.

I did actually think of myself as "asexual", but I didn't know it was an official term. I was just using it as an adjective.

I assumed I'd grow out of it pretty soon.

I don't really remember when I first realized my asexuality. I've been never interested in anything sexual or to do with romance and I think I was something about 14 when I started to think about myself as being asexual. I knew nothing about other asexual people then and so I wasn't really sure what to think about it. It was only some 7 or 8 years later when I learned about the existence of other asexual people and soon after that also about AVEN.

I'm pretty sure I was around 13 or 14 when I started thinking about it. I never wanted to hav sex for any reason other than having kids (And now I don't even want kids!), and later (Like 15 or 16) I coined the term "Non-sexual" for myself, but never used it in public.

Same here. i didn't know the name for it until I was 22 but knew how I felt from about the age 14.

Nightengale

Some friends and I coined the term in college to describe me.

It was about five years later that I heard it officially (here and on LJ).

Hmm... I'm the first person to put 0-11... Honestly, up through 4th grade I thought that the friendship feelings I felt toward guys were the same as what everyone else seemed to be talking about, but that's because I guess I figured, "If everyone else likes guys that way, that's what my feelings toward them must be too." By 5th grade, though, when people started dating and I really didn't have any interest in dating or kissing, etc., I realized that the attractions must be different, and started telling people I wasn't interested in either gender when they asked.

By 7th or 8th grade my friends and I jokingly used the terms "asexual," "nonsexual," and "unsexual" to describe me, but we had no idea it was an actual term. I think I finally tried looking it up on Dictionary.com in 10th grade and saw the term actually existed. Thennnnn in 11th grade I saw the Wikipedia article on asexuality and thought, "Wow, there ARE other people like me!" And now I'm ending the 12th grade. :)

This entire time, though, I've been open to the idea that maybe I was just not mature enough yet, but I was very doubtful the entire time that things would change because I couldn't ever imagine myself gaining an interest.

ChildOfTheLight
When I actually "discovered" it and labeled myself that way? I was 22. In retrospect, I think I've always been this way.

Same, except 19 for me.

Same again. I was very aware something was different fairly early on, and became more and more certain it wasn't something I was going to "grow into". I think I was 16/17 when I decided I was "something else/none of the above", but still didn't have a name for it. I read the New Scientist article when I was 19 and I decided almost straightaway.

I'm voting 15/16.

helana12_03

I heard and learned about Asexuality when I was about 22(when I joined Aven). However, I've known that I'm different since I was 9 or 10.

I've had the inkling in the back of my mind (though I didn't know what it was until later) for as long as I can remember. I remember not understanding everyone's interest in the opposite in the opposite sex from elementary school. I dated a little when I was 14, and found I had no interest whatsoever. I was 16 when I read the Wikipedia article on asexuality one night when I was browsing in hopes of finding out what I was. As soon as I read it, I knew that sounded just like me. When I was 17 (and a half) I joined AVEN and started referring to myself as asexual. And now I'm almost 18 and it's sort of an open secret now (I'm not telling everyone, but the information is there, and if someone asks, I will tell them yes.)

So, I've always known I was different, but I'll say 16 for the age I actually decided that this is what that particular difference was.

jewel_box554

It's kind of difficult for me to answer concretely. I was just never interested in sex like other kids my age were. When I was a kid though I did plan on marrying and having kids, but I was never really serious about it. It was just that I wanted to be like everyone else. Around age 12 or 13 once I was further along in puberty, I realized that I never wanted to have sex and just couldn't see myself being attracted to anyone like that. And it's still held true to this day, so...I guess I that means I disovered my asexuality around age 13.

When I actually "discovered" it and labeled myself that way? I was 22. In retrospect, I think I've always been this way.

Same here, except replace 22 with 16 in my case.

Wolf X Omega

Hmm, I've felt as an asexual since i was little, Since I didn't start thinking about sex until i was 9-10 and i discovered asexuality in wikipedia when i was around 11~13 i discovered aven in July 1st of last year, since i didn't had any friend who is asexual and no one to tell me about aven i had to search around, I was looking at the external links and found aven in wikipedia.

so concluding, I realized i'm asexual when i was 12

• 1 month later...

15 or so, when I realized I was "different". I came to AVEN when I was 16 and started using the label then.

Then I was 19 when I changed my mind. :lol:

Glitter Spock

I'd known I didn't want sex ever since I was 11, when we learned about sex in health class. However, I didn't realize I could have a name for myself better than "mostly straight person who doesn't ever want sex" until I was 14 and started calling myself asexual. I discovered AVEN a few months thereafter. (Although I wouldn't call myself even asexual-straight now, ever since I realized I'm gender-indifferent and there is no "opposite" gender identity to that. So I'm just an asexual person who will love whoever I love.)

smellincoffee

I found AVEN on 2nd January, 2006...so just a few weeks before my 21st birthday.

I knew I was different when I was about 12, but I didn't know there was a such thing as asexuality until I was 15. Once I was told what it was I was sure I was asexual and I was happy there was a name for what I was experiencing. Then I was just really happy I wasn't alone.

funaladanaly

On suggestion for the poll - don't include the same age twice. I was 26 when I figured it out, and I was looking at the 26 thinking, do I go with 21-26 or 26-31?

I opted with the former because I knew I wasn't interested in sex before the age of 26, I just wasn't sure why.

Archived