• 5'2"
    • 5'1"
    • 5'0"
    • 4'11
    • 4'10
    • Below 4'10"

This poll is closed to new votes

Nico-Nico Friendo

Sorry I had to redo this poll. This is the correct one.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...i_n6274004/pg_8

This article (above) found that the asexuals interviewed in this study were often of short stature:

Even the physical development and health variables--late menarche, a shorter stature, and health problems in women and a shorter stature and health problems in men--independently predicted asexuality.

I wonder how many people here at AVEN are considered 'short statured'. I'm don't think I'm short for a female.

So . . . How tall are you all?

It would be nice if you would please specify your biological sex (male, female, other), and if you have a medical condition which causes short stature (i.e. - dwarfism or a hormone disorder).

ChildOfTheLight

Male, 6'.

No medical conditions that I am aware of.

Phlying Ace

Male, 6'0". (Actually closer to 5'11", but in this case I'll not argue with what the State of California thinks :wink:)

EDIT: I've budded into a colony!

I will first point out that I'm the tallest person in my family, other than my half-brother.

I'm about 5'10"

Biological Sex: well that's a toughie. Let's say male, because it's supposedly my Y chromosome that makes me tall.

But I am anatomically a female.

So far everyone that's responded has been pretty tall :lol:

Well, I'll blow that streak then - I'm somewhere between 5'1" and 5'2".

Female, 5'4. That's about average for my age, but I'm still the tallest female in my family. :D

I'm such a baby... Female, 4'11". No hormonal/growth problems. My family is pretty short in general. My dad's the tallest, and he's 5'6.

Female, 5'4"-5'5" - I have scoliosis so it varies.

I have always been just a bit under 6', but now that I'm older, I figure that I've probably lost just a bit. Whole family is tall, my father was 6' and my brother was about 6'2" or so. My mother was around 5'11".

Female and 4'9". I have some sort of growth stunting thing going on. Started menstration really early.

I'm the shortest in my family, which has average or near average (+ or -)heights.

I believe my mom is around 5' 4 and I'm around 5' 2 and 1/2.

And to my knowledge I'm chromosonally and anatomically female even though gender wise there hardly seems to be anything female about my behavior (or at least that is my opinion).

Male 6" 6' here, mother is 5'10, dad is 6' 4". I'm the tallest in the family, my younger brother is 6' 4".

Revenge of Rain

I think, being sexual and like 6'4", I inversely support this theory (again).

Kawaii_Neko

I'm 5'6" and the shortest in my family. Mom is 5'8", Dad is 6'0" and my brother is 5'11".

The results regarding the demographic variables suggest that one pathway to asexuality may relate to an environment different from a traditional middle-class or upper-middle-class White home (e.g., one with fewer resources).

I hate to disagree, but my upbringing was in the traditional middle-upper-class White home. With no abuse or any radical medical problems (except for some genetic obesity in some family members). Who was this guy getting for his control group? Anybody know?

I hate to disagree, but my upbringing was in the traditional middle-upper-class White home. With no abuse or any radical medical problems

Same here. I was abused in school but it was never, ever sexual in nature, and my home life was great.

Nico-Nico Friendo
I hate to disagree, but my upbringing was in the traditional middle-upper-class White home. With no abuse or any radical medical problems (except for some genetic obesity in some family members). Who was this guy getting for his control group? Anybody know?

I don't know. He just interviewed a bunch of random people (or supposedly random people) living in the UK. I must say that I, too, firnd the results to be very strange. His results seem to contridict the trends I've observed among the asexuals at AVEN.

Things I've noticed about people on AVEN that seem to contridict this study:

1.) A lot of tall people on height polls.

2.) Less religious, or if they are religious, they are more tolerant of others (such as homosexuals and non-believers) than many very 'religious' people.

3.) Most probably have decent jobs and pay (I'm guessing most are at least middle-class).

4.) Most appear to express themselves intelligently and can write well and appear to be fairly/decently well-educated.

Interesting, isn't it? It makes me wonder how good this study is.

. . . Or is there something wrong with the UK that's making poor people turn asexual (some weird chemicals/hormones in the water that poor people are drinking)???? :shock: :?

As for the health of asexuals on AVEN, I don't know about how healthy everyone is. Though I think there's a poll on general health somewhere here.

My dad was only 5'4", but his dad was over 6' (very tall for Victorian times) my grandmother was less than 5'. Similar height discrepancies with my maternal grandparents - my Irish Grandfather was around 6', my grandmother around 5' - seems I inherited all the short genes.

Still, as I always say 'Good goods come in small parcels' (but then, poison comes in little bottles... :shock: )

I think mine was the last generation of 'innocence' in that i had a carefree childhood, unworried by grownups wanting to abduct murder or otherwise harm me, there were no drugs to speak of, alcohol and cigarettes were 'rights of passage' to be experienced at the appropriate ages.

I'm 5'2

Female

I get good grades in school

I'm about middle class

Started my cycle at an average time

I'm not religious at all. My upbringing isn't that religious either.

I don't understand that survey that those people in the UK did. There really seems to be no corrolation with height/religiosity/economic/educational background.

I've heard something too about most asexuals being underweight (!?)

4.) Most appear to express themselves intelligently and can write well and appear to be fairly/decently well-educated.

Well, I think this is self-perpetuating...people on this board engage in mostly higher-level discourse, at least on the serious parts of the board. A less intelligent person visiting here would go "wow this is boring" and then return to their AOL chat room.

Also, I think it takes a brain to question one's sexuality in the first place.

jewel_box554
Female and 4'9". I have some sort of growth stunting thing going on. Started menstration really early.

I'm the shortest in my family, which has average or near average (+ or -)heights.

I was really tall as a kid. I was the 2nd girl in my class to reach 5 feet when I was 10. I started my period early too (around the same age) and stopped growing too, so I'm only 5' 5". :(

Archived