Montel Williams Show

violeteyedsoul

violeteyedsoul

I just watched the Montel Williams show and I just HAD to say SOMETHING.

1. the psychiatrist, 2 words, BLATANTLY CLUELESS.

2. I didn't like how at the end they decided to attack everyone, and even though they admitted it does exist( or at least Montel did RIGHT before the show cut off) they basically said that there IS no A-sexual part of the population, and that if anyone feels this way, it's not a good thing and there's something wrong with you and you should be throughly examined; and corrected.

*shakes head*

I'm just completely and utterly disgusted.

*shakes head*

Hey, most psychiatrists are clueless, okay? They read a bunch of textbooks and then they finish college, so they got all the answers, right? Yeah, right.

And, of course, they choose Joy Davidson, of all people, to be with us for every TV appearance. Sure, I understand the need for a counterargument, but choose someone who's nicer, and has less lipstick? :roll: :lol:

I have said this before... There is an old saying, "You never see a Harley Davidson parked outside a psychiatrist's office." In other words, independent people think for themselves and don't rely on so called experts to tell them how to live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I too, was disgusted by the response on the show. I was very proud of the people representing us though. It's not their fault that Montel, the audience, and Joy couldn't get it through their heads. They refuted things well. One thing that irked me was that such a strong validation point (?) for not having sexual attraction toward people is "we still have relationships and romances". I understand that aromanticism couldn't be included in this discussion because it's just too much to grasp, unfortunately. :( That's just a nit picky thing of mine, but the visability is good I think. I don't hold that on the show's guests though.

Joy is like.. wtf. I don't even know what to think about her. I really don't care for what she was saying though. Especially at the end when she was totally bashing us. Her making the point that the site doesn't have medical information and how that's so bad, blah blah. Whatever, a site doesn't have to be made by medical professionals to hold truth and be valid. If she wanted to find the medical discussion so bad, she could look on the board because it's here. "I've written about asexuality".. ummm so? I haven't read what she's written, but why would we be expected to include that and advocate that on the site? It might not be something beneficial to us. The fact that something is written doesn't mean that it's helpful. They don't exactly include what we have to say in THEIR discussions, so why should our discussions/presentations/what have you have to reflect these standards that they aren't even living up to themselves. I'm not sure if that made sense, but yeah.

I agree with you about the comparison to how homosexuality was/is treated. It was like really bad, really uncomfortable deja vu. :?

It continues to confuse me how strange people think it is that people can actually function without looking to their dicks (or you know, whatever) for guidance. -_-

Hello.

I am not asexual, but I do listen to Morrissey (bad joke).

I watched Montel and that was bullshit. I can't believe how that bitch psychatrist was talking down to the people on the show. How could she act like an expert in asexuality when she is not herself asexual? That would be like a white man leturing a black man on how to be black because he has read books about africa or listened to rap songs. Don't let anyone tell you that the way that you are is wrong! The constant suggestion that you should go to the doctor to see if something is wrong... bullshit. A pill cannot cure everything! I applaud you for being who you are, without giving into this "groupthink" society.

As a sexually-active straight man I believe that sex is over rated. This society is as over sexed as it is over commercialized. Remember that the hyper-sexed baby boomers are controlling the society at the moment. In my opinion, humans should maximize communication with each other to learn and further the human experience. It seems to me that this is what this site is all about.

When I look into my crystal ball, I think that you guys are the wave of the future. I see nothing wrong or unnatural with being asexual. Hey, it may even be the next step in our evolution. One more step away from typically animal behavior.

I have your back. Stay strong!

Nico-Nico Friendo

Sportsfan, you are awesome! 8)

(That's all I can say for now.) :D

Sportsfan, you're awesome. :D :D :D :cake:

Fish - You can find all of the links here :D

I haven't watched it yet, but I did record it. So it wasn't good eh? That's too bad. There really needs to be more positive media attention towards asexuals.

I had seen the show on tape the first time, thanks to a good friend. This time I got home in time to see the last 40 minutes or so. I thought that things went rather well, considering Montel is too sexual to get what the folks were talking about. As for Dr JD, she also is way too sexual. I mean did anybody notice her batting her eyelashes at Montel toward the end when he mentioned her book?? Talk about flirting!!!!

I had seen the show on tape the first time, thanks to a good friend. This time I got home in time to see the last 40 minutes or so. I thought that things went rather well, considering Montel is too sexual to get what the folks were talking about. As for Dr JD, she also is way too sexual. I mean did anybody notice her batting her eyelashes at Montel toward the end when he mentioned her book?? Talk about flirting!!!!

Hahaha, yes! I saw that! :lol: *didn't notice it last time*

Yes, Sports Fan is very cool indeed.

Total agreement sportsfan.

Although it doesn't suprise me in the least. If sex is all that sells then people who are immune to it are a pretty big threat to those doing the selling.

Just a thought that maybe the psychiatrist has more money to be made in convincing people she has a cure that she does in understanding why some people are different than others.

Maarek

Nico-Nico Friendo
Total agreement sportsfan.

Although it doesn't suprise me in the least. If sex is all that sells then people who are immune to it are a pretty big threat to those doing the selling.

Just a thought that maybe the psychiatrist has more money to be made in convincing people she has a cure that she does in understanding why some people are different than others.

Maarek

INDEED. I think that's what is going on. It's all about the Almighty $$$$!

I just finished watching the tape and I have to say it seemed very biased on Montel's side. The show started out fairly well, then ended in a kind of bashing of this site. They do make a good point in saying that if a person is questioning their sexuality, or lack there of, look further. There just may be a medical reason for it.

I went the medical route for many years. Being in a sexual marriage I tried everything I could to make it work. Since sex was our only issue, and I was deemed as the "problem", of course I was going to find out if I really had one. The only problem I found that I had, was doing something I had no interest in, and not being true to my husband or myself about it. We have come along way in our marriage. By taking sex out of the picture, we are happier and closer than we have ever been. If I had any regrets in life, it would be of denying myself to be who I am right from the start.

Society does seem stuck on sex. But when you take that out of the equation, the world opens up. We do threaten businesses financially. But maybe in some small way this will help change their way of thinking. Sex doesn't sell to everyone, and in fact, can be a real "turn off"

Kudos to you David!! And everyone else on this site! Keep up the great work!

I'm sorry, but I think Joy had a few good points. Montel was a bit annoying, though. He never shifted throughout the entire episode.

After elaborating on the fact that we need to be cured, and have a whole plethora of mental disorders that cause asexual-like conditions...

Oh, but even if we do exist, we're unadventurous, narrow-minded, and... a bunch of other adjectives like that :lol:

Noskcaj.Llahsram
When I look into my crystal ball, I think that you guys are the wave of the future. I see nothing wrong or unnatural with being asexual. Hey, it may even be the next step in our evolution. One more step away from typically animal behavior.

Strictly speaking, asexuality existed for millions of years before sexuality, if anything we are just the few remaining carriers of one of the most 'successful' genes of Earth's biosphere

Strictly speaking, asexuality existed for millions of years before sexuality, if anything we are just the few remaining carriers of one of the most 'successful' genes of Earth's biosphere

What? More info please?

That's an easy one, Fish.

One-celled organisms existed long before multi-celled ones. They reproduce by dividing asexually.

Hallucigenia

But that doesn't make us the "few remaining carriers" - one-celled organisms are still alive and well, and (if I remember correctly) make up the majority of the planet's biomass.

• 9 months later...

I first heard of Asexuality when I saw it on Montel's show. I think the interview was really interesting. I liked how they had on the one asexual couple, and the other guy who was dating a sexual girlfriend, who he let go and bang out with other guys. It would have been interesting if they had on another asexual who had no interesting on maintaining a long-term, serious relationship. I guess maybe they were trying to make a point about emotional intimacy not requiring physical intimacy.

I don't think the psychologist did that bad of a job. She could have made it more of a point that they don't have much research on asexuality, so she doesn't really know enough about it yet to explain it well.

I was really surprised when Montel asked the audience if anyone would be okay with having an asexual relationship with their spouse/ partner, and only one person said yes. I wonder if there were other people who wanted to say yes, but were too afraid to say so, or worried how their significant other would react if they found out.

• 1 month later...
I just watched the Montel Williams show and I just HAD to say SOMETHING.

1. the psychiatrist, 2 words, BLATANTLY CLUELESS.

2. I didn't like how at the end they decided to attack everyone, and even though they admitted it does exist( or at least Montel did RIGHT before the show cut off) they basically said that there IS no A-sexual part of the population, and that if anyone feels this way, it's not a good thing and there's something wrong with you and you should be throughly examined; and corrected.

*shakes head*

I'm just completely and utterly disgusted.

*shakes head*

Couldn't agree more. I've just watched on YouTube.

The impression it gave me was that it was veiwed as a disorder, that could be dealt with using drugs and/or therapy.

Plainly just trying to find excuses for the way we are. The Psychiatrist seemed to be saying we somehow repress sexual urges, when really we shouldn't.

Disgraceful.

I just hope that people watching decied to look at AVEN and work out how we REALLY are.

1. Myself, I know for sure, I don't have any urges to repress, and...

2. A lot of psychiatrists are clueless!!!

Archived