site...

aury

hehehe... yup. the site is very organized... however, they only have 2 people running the site, & they need more people to help them. you know, contribute stories, articles, etc.

maybe we should give them the address to this site...

I think they are aware of this sight but we just not heard any thing from them. I wonder If they know how much this community has grown. I would like to hear from them on this sight.

I think they know about us, and I think AVENguy is acquainted with them, but he should weigh in on that. Are they the group from Europe with the narrower-than-ours definition of who is asexual? And who made them official?

boa

i already sent him a pm about this... still have yet to receive a reply...

is it whirly, liver? :)

Yes, Liver, that's Beth. And yes, boa, both their organization and their asexuality definition is smaller. And apparently more official. For some reason.

Live R Perfect

Well as far as I'm concerned its just good to see that there are other sites out there working at the a-visibility, though having read some of what they say, their definitions do seem to be quite different to what we are used to here. I sent them an e-mail to say hello, anyway! :)

i made sad attempt at signing their petition... don't know if it went through or not, though... :?

In the history of the media seemingly everything has been possible: gays, drag-queens, transsexuals, bisexuals and almost every imaginable form of sex. But never has there been even the tiniest corner reserved for the asexual.

Although Asexual awareness has grown a teensy bit since last year, to often it's still seen as weird, bizarre and freaky.

Especially the media still rather ignores it, then to pay attention to a subject they know little of.

As we are all well aware of; Geraldin has written two books about Asexuality last year, the best known called; "That's when I realized I was an Amoeba". Although it received great interest and had some promotion, it still isn't published.

Even though many publishers showed great interest in the book at first, they always decided not to publish it at the last moment, because they either fear that the book doesn't fit into their style because they only publish books about having sex.

Another reason they give is that they've never published books about this subject. This seems logical, as this is the first book ever dedicated to the subject.

Another excuse they give is that it wouldn't generate enough readers, which is also untrue, as there are tons of Asexuals and people interested in the subject ready to buy the book.

In the end it all comes down to the fact that if things go on like this we Asexuals might never have a book about 'us', even though there is a demand for it ...

Geraldin has also written a comedy series and a movie script/play about the subject, another first!

The question has been raised: isn't that a boring subject to draw a comedy on?

Not so, Asexuality is not the dominating force in this comedy. It's just as dominating as homosexuality is in Will and Grace.

Now the series is almost finished it's time to take action to make sure it doesn't go the same way as the book!!

Show the world that there is a demand for Asexual awareness, show them it can't be ignored any longer!! Sign the petition and make your voice heard!!

Edmund Fortuin

Live R Perfect

Ahh... thanks Aury! :D *Too lazy to go look himself* I could murder a cup of tea about now too... :wink: *Pushing his luck*

Live R Perfect

Funny... I never once came across that site before, and I've done many a search on asexuality over the past few months... Oh well, I obviously haven't got the mystical powers over search engines that Aury has... :wink:

VivreEstEsperer

The person that runs that site is from the Netherlands and is also going to be on the Canadian Discovery Channel's documentary (they went to the Netherlands after us to film her). Am eager to see her on TV!

I've been to this site and looked over their test.

They seem to define asexuality only in terms of feelings.

There is also some flawed logic in the assumption that sexual abuse or a traumatic childhood will cause an otherwise sexual person to believe that he/she is asexual.

The flaw is that just because two events happen in the same life, one did not cause the other.

Event A: person x is sexually abused.

Event B: person x identifies as asexual.

Did one cause the other? You can't say. And to assert that beyond doubt one did cause the other has no basis in fact.

Similarly, even if

Event A: person x is sexually abused.

Event B: person x has a traumatic or difficult childhood.

Event C: person x identifies as asexual.

The events have to be seen as independent.

It is illogical to say that a or b or a & b caused event c to occur.

People wonder why I think it's important to root out logical errors.

One error in logic can contain a multitude of lies.

Uh-oh. Why your aunt?

Does she tend to think that just because events happen in a string that one caused all of them?

I don't know if trying to convince your aunt that her thinking is flawed will be enough to make her understand your orientation.

I don't understand why it is that we Americans put so much emphasis on what we call critical thinking in education, and yet there are people out there who just don't know how to reason.

Your aunt might come back with the idea that logic doesn't govern human action, and it doesn't. But logic should be an important building block in how we reflect upon situations, and particularly events and causes. Logic keeps people from judging each other harshly.

In history, if you don't know strong logic from flawed logic you're sunk.

And really, in asserting what she does about you, your aunt is trying, albeit wrongheadedly, to claim the authority of history.

Of course she's wrong.

Archived