Asperger's and Asexuality

Amcan

Do you have Asperger's?  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm asexual.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm asexual.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm asexual
    • I am not sure. I'm asexual.
    • No. I'm asexual.
    • Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm sexual.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm sexual.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm sexual
    • I am not sure. I'm sexual.
    • No. I'm sexual.
    • Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm questioning.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm questioning.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm questioning.
    • I am not sure. I'm questioning.
    • No. I'm questioning.

This poll is closed to new votes

So you couldnt come over her for a month and get tested. I only spent one day a week for two weeks and she said I had it.

There's a huge cost implication to that. An airline ticket to the States costs the equivalent of a months salary!

And then there's living expenses for two weeks on that side. When you earn monopoly money with an exchange rate of 8 ZAR to 1 US$ it turns into a rather pricey exercise...especially if it is only to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm trying to immigrate to the US anyway, so once I get that sorted I'll go for the test.

Thanks anyway ;)

This is kind of interesting. I have three friends who have Asperger's, two diagnosed, and one who isn't diagnosed but is likely to have it. The thing is that they are all sexual ( as far as I know, and since i have dated one of them and one of them is on of my best friends, I'm pretty sure that I'm right)

Anyways, I shouldn't trust the alternative "I think I have a few traits of it". A lot of people has a lot of traits of it, and the stupid tests on internet are probably not reliable at all. Come on, there are many out there who are more introvert than extrovert (and I'm one of them), and many who has an interest that they do know the most about.

Asperger's is just one of the syndromes out there where they happened to name a combination of personality traits.

Anyways, I shouldn't trust the alternative "I think I have a few traits of it". A lot of people has a lot of traits of it, and the stupid tests on internet are probably not reliable at all. Come on, there are many out there who are more introvert than extrovert (and I'm one of them), and many who has an interest that they do know the most about.

Not all autistics are introverts, although the majority are. Autistics can have almost any personality type, although the distribution of types is very different (basically the opposite) than that of non-autistics.

Asperger's is just one of the syndromes out there where they happened to name a combination of personality traits.

A bit of an oversimplification, but a whole lot better of a way to look at things than the usual "disorder" model. I like to look at it as an atypical, but equally valid, neurology.

I've certainly got plenty of the traits of Asperger's, though I'm sure they're not all strong enough to get a diagnosis for it, and I really have no intention of going to seek one, though it might come up with my psychologist at some point, I suppose.

I also did the test, and it confirmed what I already thought:

'Your Aspie score: 108 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 95 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits'

Also, for the Autism Spectrum Quotient, I'm 26, which is above average.

Cynic At Heart

Well I am an "Aspie" and i have known i was for several years now however. But even for having Aspurgers im weird, not in the way the aspurgers people are. On top of this im diagnossed with ADD (not ADHD there IS a differance). However only two days ago have I known about and labeled myself Asexual. Just now reading this post was the first time i knew there was any correlation to Asexuality and Aspurgers. This struck me as very interesting.

pisces_girl

Ever since I learned about Asperger's I've thought I may have a mild case of it, but I'm not sure. I definently have several of the traits...except I don't really have the obsessive interests so much...so I don't know if that disqualifies me.

I'd actually kind of like to be able to say I have it...it'd give me a good excuse for all my weirdness, lol.

I am pretty much the farthest from Asperger's you can get, as I have social anxiety. In other words, I care immensely about what other people think, and I'm constantly putting myself in other people's shoes. And I'm pretty all around fixated on the idea of people. It's basically what my mind is constantly revolving around. I'd much sooner avoid a social situation all together rather than approach it awkwardly.

It's interesting though. I met this guy I suspected of having Asperger's, tried being friends and it didn't quite work out. We didn't really see eye to eye, I don't think. Like we have a lot in common, but he was basically oblivious to my personality all together. I'm kind of curious as to whether or not he has it though. But I will never know! He's definitely not asexual though, because I'm pretty sure of what his intentions were.

alienentity

I have a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome / HFA (the diagnositicians couldn't quite agree which!) as well as some learning difficulties.

yellowrose80

My daughter received an Asperger's dx last year, aged 6.

Since then it has become increasingly obvious that I probably have it too. Without a dx and living in full denial, I put that I might have it because I have some traits. By some, I mean most.

Picture an Aspie girl and you've got me. My daughter, who has recently (aged 7) announced she'll never marry or have kids, displays more masculine tendencies than I do ie: intense aggression, obsessed with trains early on (now dinosaurs) etc etc etc.

Looks like I'll be getting assessed later in the year though after some flags were raised by my daughter's psychologist that I may have it.

Sarah - haven't been on the forums in a while. Life is so hectic.

Good that your daughter can like things that are stereotypically for boys.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told by my son's doctors that I have many traits of Aspergers, or High Functioning Autism. My son has been officially diagnosed as High Functioning Autistic.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been told by my son's doctors that I have many traits of Aspergers, or High Functioning Autism. My son has been officially diagnosed as High Functioning Autistic.
I have received this diagnosis also. A lot of people do not believe there is such a thing as HFA and it is true, it is not listed in the DSM IV-TR.

I met eight and a half criteria for autism (the criteria in the DSM IV-TR) and to have a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, I would have needed five. So I was diagnosed HFA by a psychologist and a psychiatrist confirmed it.

Every country (even every state or even town) has a different diagnostic process so I acknowledge that some may think that my diagnosis is skewed and that there is no such thing as HFA. I did ask my psychologist about this (in my usual nitpicky way). I was told that I am not Asperger's and if anyone did not believe the HFA part, then I could just say I am autistic.

:: goes off to make a proper intro post ::

No, I don't think I have that... but I'm not quite sure what its traits are ... -_-

• 2 weeks later...

The only disorder I have is hyperflexibility, which is an insane amount of flexibility in my joints :P No personality disorders.

Taking that one gives me results of:

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

I've taken the Autism Spectrum Quotient a few times and scored about 40 every time.

Nice quiz with quite some questions.

My Aspie score was 61 of 200.

My neurotypical score: 131 of 200.

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm asexual."

It's a long story, but I think I can be pretty certain that I have Asperger's.

Your Aspie score: 162 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 28 of 200

• 3 weeks later...
mypsychoticself
Sorry for the long post.

I don't see any reason for you to apologize. Do what you need to do and say what you need to say and to heck with everyone else if they don't like it.

Thank you, fem_1027, I really appreciate what you said. Maybe it's just the fact that I've always been taught not to complain, and that there are always people with bigger problems out there, so it tends to make me feel guilty.

But I'm happy to say that I've been figuring a lot of things out lately, just in the past few days... things are coming together, and clearing up *smile*

Thanks!

I was taught not to complain, too. So I ended up staying quiet until I was having nervous breakdowns. So feel free to talk; we'll all understand.

:)

I'd like to change my answer form not sure to don't have it. I got tested. The psychologist was pretty clear: "Nope, you don't have anything, you just think a lot." lol.

Member21883
Your Aspie score: 138 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200

I don't have Asperger's, though I do have a few traits. Those traits certainly aren't limited to Aspies, though...

• 2 weeks later...
Hurricane Camille

I do not have Asperger's. Asperger's was another problem that everyone thought I had when I said I was asexual, but the tests were negative. Dramatically so! Interestingly, though, my dad had many of the symptoms.

This does not mean I'm free of issues, though. I AM autistic, and I am obsessive-compulsive. Sometimes my OCD is so severe that I get caught in what I call "organization loops", where no matter what I write, it's just not correct and I keep erasing it and doing it over and over again. The only thing that stops it is a hit of Valium.

My autism may be directly related to my asexuality, this I can't deny. I don't have a lot of friends, mostly because I have discovered that I go through life viewing everything like a weird movie. Everything happens around me and I am simply an observer. In fact, in my books (because I am a budding writer) I often refer to myself as the Observer for that very reason. My characters are all sexual, married, and have children, and many who have read or heard my stories read say that I write some of the healthiest relationships they know. (Which is funny, because I've never been in one, nor have a seen a good one.) The characters live my sexual life for me, and ALL of my life, for that matter. I spend so much time analyzing the world that I sometimes forget to be part of it. Autism is weird that way.

I have this weird theory that sexuality depends on pharemones (sp?), and that I do not produce those pharemones, nor am I attracted to them from human beings. I have had very few "hits" or offers in my lifetime, I have never dated, and I have never had a romantic relationship. Nor do I care. People are just not attracted to me and that feeling is mutual. Not that people hate me, either, they just don't feel "that way" about me. If this is true, and I am not attracted to and don't produce the human pharemones, it may be directly related to my autism.

asexysjsfan

Wow... this hits close to home, wasn't expecting to see this.

I was actually diagnosed with Asperger's by one doctor and high-functioning autism by another. Symptoms of both have since disappeared (I was young), but certain traits still exist. I think there is a HIGH correlation between forms of autism and asexuality though.

asexysjsfan
I have this weird theory that sexuality depends on pharemones (sp?), and that I do not produce those pharemones, nor am I attracted to them from human beings. I have had very few "hits" or offers in my lifetime, I have never dated, and I have never had a romantic relationship. Nor do I care. People are just not attracted to me and that feeling is mutual. Not that people hate me, either, they just don't feel "that way" about me. If this is true, and I am not attracted to and don't produce the human pharemones, it may be directly related to my autism.

Dude... you stole my theory. :P

Throne Eins

I like tests.

Your Aspie score: 84 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 142 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

I didn't like some of the questions, though. Some of the things were true for me, but not because of Asperger's. For example, the question about fine manipulation (doing buttons and whatnot). I have trouble with that because I have arthritis, not because of Asperger's. I didn't like the questions where I had to answer as true because they were characteristic of me but had an alternate explanation.

I hope that made sense!

Your Aspie score: 145 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200

I scored almost 'perfect' in the Aspie Talent section (9.2, closest to 10.0), though i'm unsure what that means, does anyone have any insight?

Having Asperger's would explain a lot in my life, but i don't remember a whole lot from my childhood, and my parents weren't the type to take stock in this type of thing. I've talked to them before about different psychology topics, but they wrote it off as bullcrap. I've always been intelligent, especially in math. I scored college level on my CATs in the 9th grade, and scored in the 790s of 800 on my SAT. I've always noticed that i don't really react 'normally' socially, although it can appear so, because i process information quickly, and 'figure out' the best way to respond. It doesn't come natural at all, though. In fact when i'm surprised by a question i haven't anticipated, or a situation i haven't thought through, i 'freeze' until i figure out how to respond. I would like to talk to a therapist, just to see what they had to say.

I am a diagnosed female Aspie who is questioning but is more than likely Asexual. From what I hear Asexuality is much higher in the aspie population. In other words a lot of aspies are asexual but not all asexuals are aspie. I personally would like to feel something to understand what it is about and am facinated about it. However no matter how hard I try it is only pretending to say I know what love or sex drive (other than plutonic love of family members and my cats for example) is. That is what makes me think I must be asexual for years i thought i was gay but asexual fits best and being so common in AS makes sense. Beleive me I would love to be able to feel what sexuals do but I don't. It only increases my feelings of isolation but I feel at 28 there is little point pretending or putting myself into relationships that might go where I don't feel comfortable for them to go. If I was going to feel something I would have by now and I havent

(Pls ignore -- double posting; don't know how to delete)

Many of you are reporting test scores. Are these on a DSM test you've taken at shrinks' offices? Or is there an on-line test you're talking about? I think I am aspie but since I'm past 60 years of age I sure don't want to go through all the BS of going to an MD to be told something I'm pretty sure of anyway. I'm just curious what I would score.

Boy, telling left from right -- I've never been to turn right or left when told verbally; I have to have someone point in the direction. I'm also clumsy as hell. Two things I hadn't known were Aspie traist.

My daughter is prototypical Kanner's Syndrome, and there are definite differences in behavior, not just degree of behavior, between (relatively) high-functioning Kanner's and high-functioning Aspie's. Temple Grandin, the famous animal behaviorist who's written several books, is not Aspie but Kanner. Most people assume that someone functioning at her level must be Aspie. There are lots of misconceptions about autism, even more perhaps now than when my daughter was diagnosed decades ago.

artisticmanga

I think that I have Asperger's but I definitly know that I have an LD (which is Language Development Delay btw).

On one of the tests I scored 37 and the other was:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 94 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

So maybe I have an LD and Asperger's?

Archived