Asperger's and Asexuality

Amcan

Do you have Asperger's?  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm asexual.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm asexual.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm asexual
    • I am not sure. I'm asexual.
    • No. I'm asexual.
    • Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm sexual.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm sexual.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm sexual
    • I am not sure. I'm sexual.
    • No. I'm sexual.
    • Yes. I have been officially diagnosed (e.g. by a doctor). I'm questioning.
    • Yes but I have never had an official diagnosis. I'm questioning.
    • I think I might have it - I seem to have a few traits. I'm questioning.
    • I am not sure. I'm questioning.
    • No. I'm questioning.

This poll is closed to new votes

1. Wearing the same set of clothes multiple days in a row. This I do. In fact, if I had a set of clothes I had to wear to work ... often I just wore them when I got home too. I didn't like the bother of figuring something else out.

where was this?

I mean I'm 100% certain I ahve aspergers, but I don't recall reading this bit specifically before. Though the only time I ever truly do this is when I'm at home, not going anywhere, and no one but my roommate and cat will be seeing me. And I always change after bathing

I found it on one several of the online quizes.

This is the one I bookmarked:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Of course, I do know that one probably can't run off an assume one is aspergers just cuz on one test. But it did give me pause.

Taking that one gives me results of:

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

I've taken the Autism Spectrum Quotient a few times and scored about 40 every time. I'm obviously not making any definitive conclusions about it just because a few tests, but just the sheer amount of statements that I relate to is enough to make me think this is a good thing for me to look into. It's startling how many of these are things that I do, do often, and remember doing for practically all my life.

reverse_thrust

Ooh, tests, I love tests.

Your Aspie score: 189 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 4 of 200

On the Autism Spectrum Quotient I scored around 43, usually.

I mean, there's no doubt in my mind at all that I'm somewhere in the spectrum. Is there really any advantage to getting a diagnosis if I haven't had considerable trouble adapting in my life? Nobody ever suggested to me that I was abnormal (well, apart from the fact that I never had many friends) so I just went through life assuming that everyone else had the problems :?

LoneHowler

Your Aspie score: 58 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 140 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

and yet I'm LD ADD asocial and asexual people say I don't smile enough and other little quirks that point to aspie

on the other hand I'm good at interpreting body language, I even know enough to use it against people. I work airport security when a trouble maker come through, often I step in say a few key phrases loom a bit and often they will subside I call it the "I'm the brick wall and you're being stupid technique" one of my co-workers marveled at this "They never fight with you, I just don't get it" even when I'm not directly involved with the passenger I can say a quick phrase in a certan tone of voice and they won't give trouble to my co-worker

however toss me in a room full of strangers in a social situation and I'm likely to hide in a corner or find a excuse to be well away

• 3 weeks later...

Your Aspie score: 109 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 84 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

hmm…

• 3 weeks later...
ratatosk_lemur
Question: Are most people with Asperger's/Autism asexuals?

Not to the best of my knowledge.

Hallucigenia

I can't speak for more severe cases of autism, but Aspies run the gamut of sexualities.

There are Aspies who don't like touching other people or being close to them at all and can't comprehend sexuality because of this. These could be described as asexual.

There are Aspies who are asexual in a more "normal" way, too.

There are also plenty of Aspies who do have sexual desires, and this can cause problems because they don't always know the proper way of handling them. For example, a teenage Aspie might ask a random girl at school if he can touch her breasts, not realizing that this is offensive since it's only a question. Once an Aspie learns the proper social context for sexuality, though, many of them can have successful sexual relationships (especially with other Aspies or similarly geeky people).

I've even heard of Aspies for whom sex is a "stim" or one of the topics that they get extremely focused on. In other words, they are too interested in sex!

One other interesting thing I've heard is that sexual Aspies are more likely than sexual neurotypicals to be lesbian, gay, or bisexual. I don't think anyone knows why this is. It could be that Aspies, because of social obliviousness, are simply less likely to repress homosexual desires if they exist. Or there could be some biological or hormonal thing that predisposes people to both.

If you want to know more about how Aspies approach relationships, I'd recommend that you go to a forum specially for Aspies and look around. For example, wrongplanet.net has a section specifically for Aspies to talk about romantic and sexual relationships.

Kiløhertz

I definitely have a few strong tendencies of the autism spectrum conditions, though I'm not sure it's quite Asperger's. I wouldn't be surprised if I was on the spectrum somewhere, though.. as I have social interaction problems, unusual physical quirks, physical coordination issues, highly-intense-yet-selective attention span, extreme hypersensitivity, and so on. (When I was a kid, my ears couldn't take the sound of the hand dryers in public bathrooms.. it physically hurt to hear it! ><)

I used to speak all formally when I was a little kid, too.. like the dictionary. (Which I used to sit and read for fun.. XDD) Also, I find myself rocking back and forth a lot, or sitting/standing in strange positions. 'Tis weird.

EDIT: Took teh quiz, and here are my results.

Your Aspie score: 174 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200

Heh.. interesting.. kind of what I expected, though, hehe.

Schan Schan

Your Aspie score: 137 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200

Is what I got from the quiz.

Heh... I'm borderline aspergers, whatever that scale t hing is I'm barely far enough on it to be considered asperger. I was suprised to see this here, dunno if my borderline aspergers has anything to do with my borderline asexuality but it'd be interesting to see... Not that I have a problem with either though my number obsession can get annoying. :shock:
i sort of the same thing

and here my score :P

Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 138 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200

Your Aspie score: 154 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 53 of 200

Hmmm ....

• 2 weeks later...

I have Asperger's and I'm asexual. I also don't like people very much in general. Which isn't to say that I hate people, just that I find them quite boring and can only stand them in small doses. Though I do make close friends, that's only because those are the people who for some reason will listen to me ramble on about whatever interest I'm talking about.

I wasn't diagnosed because I suspected I had the syndrome; in fact I had never heard of it. I was diagnosed because I went to see a psychologist after a bad bout of depression when I was 16. The depression was a result of the terrible peer relations I was having at school, combined with the stress of school itself, which tore me away from the things I so desperately wanted to do instead.

Since my diagnosis I've been in a support group for people with Asperger's and the one thing I've learned is that while people with Asperger's tend to have similar traits and problems, they are also very unique. I've yet to see anyone with Asperger's seem like another person with the same syndrome.

• 3 weeks later...

My score:

Your Aspie score: 134 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200

Some of the questions, I wanted to put explanation points after the answer. "Are you at ease in romantic situations?" "No!!!!!!!" "Do you find it diffiicult to carry on a conversation if there is background noise?" "Yes!!!!" Other questions I was sort of "meh" about. It's awfully easy to influence your score, since it's usually pretty obvious what the aspie answer should be. So if there was any doubt about what my answer was, I skewed it towards the norm. Still came out aspie, though not as thoroughly aspie as I have in other tests.

And yes still asexual too.

I believe I have Asperger's, but I'm not diagnosed with it. I fit many of the traits, even small little things I wouldn't think would be related. It would explain a lot about my life. At this time I'm undecided as to whether I will pursue a diagnosis because there seems to be pros and cons to it. I think even if I do have it, it's not related to my asexuality. I think I would be asexual whether I had it or not. I know asexuality seems to be a bit more common among Aspies though.

Well, I said that I didn't in the poll, but:

Your Aspie score: 157 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie.

Then again, though, the main reason I thought I wasn't an Aspie, was because I have a very easy time lying; I've somewhat trained myself to convince myself of things being untrue.

Edit: And I took it again, because I thought that I might have accidentally shifted my results towards those of Asperger's Syndrome, and got even higher:

Your Aspie score: 171 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 31 of 200

Meh, whatever. In any case, I am what I am and that's all there is to it. Incidently, there is no treatment for Asperger's, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd discuss this... but that would mean opening up to people... hehe, just kidding...

My Aspie score is 118/200

My neurotypical score is 86/200.

I find it very difficult to socialize comfortably. Fortunately, I have some very loving friends who just insist I get out and socialize. It's hard, but I love them, so I try. When I get lonely, I go see my folks or go to Wal-Mart for a couple of hours. That's usually satisfactory. I like to study and to read, and get lost in thought and study for hours. Language fascinates me to no end... People (my parents included) tell me either "People aren't interested in what you are saying" OR "Nobody knows what your talking about" - even when I'm on-topic and trying. But I do care deeply about others - from a distance. I just don't know how to show it. But I'm not good with details. I see the world as from a distance - like a Monet - the messy details don't register. I don't ask people about personal things. If you want me to know, you'll tell me. But I tell all my dirty secrets with reckless abandon sometimes, not all the time... but always expect others to understand. I don't touch and I'm ambivalent about being touched. I have no clue how to behave socially or romantically (most uncomfortable). I loathe playing team sports, as well as watching any other than baseball. I hate the idea of working in an office, as that requires social skills I just don't have. I do not tend to trip or run into people/things.

Your Aspie score: 113 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 80 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Concurrs with my vote of possibly some traits as asexual. Some Aspie traits can be trained to change. But right now, hard as i might have tried, am still technically a loner, shyless introvert, and very low social quotient.

What's with keeping to the truth and Aspie? I have quite an ambiguous view on truth.

One trick for A's or AA's:

Smile often in social situations. I find it better to act like a caring happy retard not knowing correct reactions, rather than a blank face that implies indifference or contempt. :) :D :) :D :) :D

One trick for A's or AA's:

Smile often in social situations. I find it better to act like a caring happy retard not knowing correct reactions, rather than a blank face that implies indifference or contempt. :) :D :) :D :) :D

Hey, that's a really good idea... my friends are always telling me I need to smile more, always asking me what's wrong...not that I'm in a dour mood or that anything's bugging me... I just don't smile... but I'll try

I scored a 33. It said "around 35" - 33 is fairly "around" 35. Hmm.

I don't (apparently from how often I'm told) smile a great deal. That said... I consider myself very emotional and even very expressive. Maybe I'm just negative or coming across that way? I dunno. But I'm not good at emotional intimacy, this I know.

My friends have recently gotten insistent that do something with them late every Sunday afternoon. But it disrupts my established routine and if really peeves me that they don't understsand this. I like my routine. I need my routine. I need the sleep on Sunday afternoons.

I keep going over this in my mind... again and again. I don't have a clue how to handle this. I'm afraid I'm going to end up alienating myself/them. Suggestions?

I scored a 33. It said "around 35" - 33 is fairly "around" 35. Hmm.

My friends have recently gotten insistent that do something with them late every Sunday afternoon. But it disrupts my established routine and if really peeves me that they don't understsand this. I like my routine. I need my routine.

I keep going over this in my mind... again and again. I don't have a clue how to handle this. I'm afraid I'm going to end up alienating myself/them. Suggestions?

Explain you have plans at that time and suggest another day/time that would be a better fit for you.

Explain you have plans at that time and suggest another day/time that would be a better fit for you.

That is a most excellent idea. Thanks! :D

I think I will try to explain this to the group leader. Then my friends won't really have any say in the matter. :oops:

... update... said something to group leader... was shot down... sigh... guess I'll just have to go ahead with the group and just suffer... at least this isn't a permanent thing they're doing... oh well.

• 1 month later...

I don't have Asperger's but I am dyslexic, I have heard they are linked in ways. Proportionally a large number of people I really click with turn out to be aspergers or schitsophrenic, and I know at least one of them was also asexual.

I always come up as an aspie on the online tests. Doesn't stop me from being a sensitive person though.

Archived