Divorce and Asexuality

Lehcar

Are you a child of divorce?  

1. 1.

• Yes. My parents separated when I was young and I haven't seen mom/dad since
    • Yes. My parents separated when I was done puberty, and I haven't seen mom/dad since
    • Yes. My parents separated when I was young, but I still see both
    • Yes. My parents separated when I was done puberty, but I still see both
    • Nope. My parents are still married (and friendly with each other to boot)
    • Nope. My parents are still married (though they barely talk to each other any more)

This poll is closed to new votes

My dad spit when I was 9 or 10, and it's been mentioned on several occasions that my disinterest in sex is because of that. I think that my identification as an asexual is completely unrelated, but I was just curious about the ratios here on AVEN, and anyone else's opinion on the subject.

My parents are still together after 29 years. They never did mention sex, but I was VERY curious about it when I was young (no thanks to my brother, not to mention me finding his magazines on several occasions).

Well, my parents were never married, but I picked the first option anyway. I've talked to my dad on the phone, but I've never seen him(maybe when I was a baby, but that doesn't really count). Man, the calls are only annual if that , but I wish he wouldn't call...

Adventuress Heart

My parents divorced when I was about 13. I still see them both even though my dad travels a lot and lives in the middle east.

helana12_03

My parents separated when I was eight, but I still see both.

My parents seperated when I was 11. My father always had another woman on the side. He had an obsession about always having to have someone else although he did truely love my mother. I spent most of my remaining childhood with my mother who remarried and she's been with my stepfather for over 21 years. A therapist once told me my lack of sexual interest was probably due to my father but when I pointed out my mother's happy marraige, she couldn't explain it. She wasn't a good therapist anyway as she never caught that fact that I have Aspergers.

My parents (never married) separated when I was five. Out of the four children they had together, my dad took me (since I was the oldest and the only male) and moved to Florida while my mother kept my three sisters and remained in Southern California.

I talked to my mom very often on the telephone and she (along with my sisters) visited Florida twice. The last time I talked to my mom was in the summer of 2000, just a couple of months before she passed away of cancer.

I'm still in contact with my sisters, although they're in different locations in Southern California.

My parents are still together, but they're not very affectionate. They've never been very affectionate, I only remember seeing them kiss a few times when I was a kid.

Well, my parents are both dead, but they stayed married until my mom died so I voted for "still together".

-GB

ChildOfTheLight

My parents are still together, coming up on 31 years.

I picked the fourth option because technically I still see both--but I don't get along with my dad at all and never really have.

i don't exactly fit any of these.

my parents divorced when i was 15 or so (i'm 18 now) and i live with my mother. i'm working on being completely estranged from my father and talk to/see him VERY rarely. maybe five times a year.

Frigid Pink

Yes. My parents divorced when I was about four, and I haven't seen my dad since I was about five.

My mother remarried when I was seven, and divorced again during my early high school years.

She has yet to remarry.

I couldn't vote because my father died when I was 8, but my parents were still married.

Thanks for everyone who's voted so far. I apologize to those who aren't any of the one's I've listed - I'm still getting used to this system, and I kinda screwed up this poll; sorry. But it's great to hear from you all.

I couldn't vote because my father died when I was 8, but my parents were still married.

Same, but when I was 6.

reverse_thrust

I've been telling my parents to get a divorce for ages. They're miserable together.

• 4 years later...

Can't answer. My dad died when I was two. My parents were still married. Death of a parent needs to be an option.

I have voted, even though one of my parents has passed away, because I was raised with two parents who stuck together and did love each other. Having met so many people throughout life, who were not so lucky, I have really seen, with some of them, how absolutely devastating it was, and how long a shadow it has cast over their lives, bless them.

My dad spit when I was 9 or 10, and it's been mentioned on several occasions that my disinterest in sex is because of that. I think that my identification as an asexual is completely unrelated, but I was just curious about the ratios here on AVEN, and anyone else's opinion on the subject.

which of course is a crock

your more likely to have relationship issues agreed but sexual/non sexual issues?

I think someone who doesn't agree with your asexuality is just clutching at straws and like so many people are looking for a reason to disagree and invalidate your asexuality

my parents split when I was 14 I haven't seen my mother in 23 years but I see my dad every couple of weeks

what they did teach me was and gave me views on...is that when people split up it's horrible thats why when ever I'm in a relationship that finishes..I always always try and stay in touch and as friends with an ex because at sometime you loved them..so far it's worked more often than not

My parents had their 23rd anniversary of marriage less than a month ago and they're still very happy together.

I'm glad to see more than half the AVENites who voted are in my own same situation. ^_^

My parents got divorced when I was very young but I had a chance to meet both of them until the age of 18 or 19, when my father moved to another city. I don´t think it has anything to do with my asexuality but I ponder if they got divorced because of my mom´s asexuality. I´ve never asked her about it, I´ve never talked about asexuality with her but she seems to me even more asexual than I am. She has never searched for a new partner after the divorce, she dislikes sex scenes in movies, she claims that "people look much better with their clothes on"...

never odd or even

my parents are still together and approaching 21 years... its like... they try to be happy together, but they always seem mroe content apart.... but they always insist they need the other and would never divorce... yet they argue so much :mellow: but they each have their own VERY annoying tendencies and expect COMPLETELY different things/approaches out of eachother in order to achieve the same goal.... so much miscommunication... i dont know WHY they are together or why they got together in the first place, but one way or another they've blundered through nearly quarter of a century that way :huh:

Archived