BBC World Service.....Why Are We Having Less Sex

oldgeeza

I know that this isn't asexual based, but on here, there are so many people worrying about remaining single for life due to them being asexual, but this radio documentary seems to prove that it's not just an asexual thing, it made interesting listening, as a long term single asexual male, a lot of what was mentioned I could relate to, it's definitely not a recent phenomenon, the world of relationships has been going this way for as far back as I can remember, listening to many of the comments, I relate to so many of them, I think that overall, there's a downward spiral in relationships and therefore fewer and fewer people are having sex whether they are sexual or not, I also feel that people are becoming more shallow, by this I mean that they are more judgemental, appearance, job, height and looks are all major things that people look for in a potential partner, statistically, there's more single people than ever, more people getting divorced, or just living together, the way of life is changing, a big part of this is to do with computers, social media and such likes, I know of men who have been online looking for partners abroad, we don't meet up in traditional ways anymore, it used to be said that you're most likely to meet up with a potential partner at a wedding, (not in my case because I don't attend weddings), but more and more people I know met online, they have long distance relationships, or online relationships and never meet, there's no longer a stigma attached to being single like there was when I was young.

Anyway, I've waffled on enough, I think that listening to this documentary may make some feel a little better in themselves rather than thinking that it's because they're asexual that they're single, it's not, not anymore

4 hours ago, oldgeeza said:

by this I mean that they are more judgemental, appearance, job, height and looks are all major things that people look for in a potential partner, statistically, there's more single people than ever, more people getting divorced, or just living together, the way of life is changing,

I wouldn't say that people are more shallow. They aren't literally forced to stay with the first person they dated anymore; only to write love poetry to have an outlet of feelings never felt and longing for them. It is true that since there is more freedom in choosing a partner it also makes people raise their standards. Because now they can. And because now you can't just say "I had to marry them for the sake of marrying someone" anymore without others seeing it as "your personal failure". Now that there are some options, people expect of themselves and from others that they make the best decisions. You are not only expected to have a partner but the perfect one.

4 hours ago, oldgeeza said:

there's no longer a stigma attached to being single like there was when I was young.

I have to disagree. But then again the UK is not Germany, so I have to assume that it is in fact true where you live. To which I say: Lucky!

This is interesting to explore, whats the name of the documentary you listened to? It’s kind of difficult to analyze since it seems like a multifaceted topic, I feel like with so much going in the world peoples have a hard time seeing whats in front of them. Similar to Phalena wrote too, it can also be that with so many options available today, people can’t accept the real instead of the idealized. Relationships in general take work and time, if you were to add sex on top of that its a lot more to explore together. 

3 hours ago, Doomflower said:

This is interesting to explore, whats the name of the documentary you listened to? It’s kind of difficult to analyze since it seems like a multifaceted topic, I feel like with so much going in the world peoples have a hard time seeing whats in front of them. Similar to Phalena wrote too, it can also be that with so many options available today, people can’t accept the real instead of the idealized. Relationships in general take work and time, if you were to add sex on top of that its a lot more to explore together. 

The documentary is called "why are we having less sex" it's on the BBC World Service

Archived