1. 1. Which one of these?

• visual
    • auditory
    • reading/writing
    • kinesthetic

This poll is closed to new votes

On 3/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, GingerRose said:

Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences | Wordsmart Kids App

Everything but interpersonal. Me people dumb.

Anyway, my ears are better than my eyes, but I suppose I learn best with logic.

everywhere and nowhere

Reading. I vastly prefer reading to any other kind of learning. I'm an extreme verbal thinker anyway.

• Like 1

Not sure if I have a primary type of learning. I think I learn best by having someone teach me, as opposed to trying to teach myself or just reading books without guided instruction to go along with it. But it might depend on the subject or skill as to how that should be achieved. Lecture with visual aids (and lab if suitable), taking notes, and then me trying to work out patterns and such seems to work for some subjects. Hands on learning with someone showing me how to do something, watching me do it and correcting me as I go, probably works best for many tasks involving using my hands and tools and such.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

taking notes

That too, but only works for me if I actually have the opportunity to do it myself :D

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

That too, but only works for me if I actually have the opportunity to do it myself :D

Yep, me taking notes. Maybe supplemented by notes from other people if need be, but the action of writing stuff down myself (and trying to figure out what to write down and how to write it) is an important part of note-taking.

• Like 2
ICantThinkOfAUsernameToo

I learn through picking up patterns. So I would say visual. My weakest one is audio. I've never been a good listener, I zone out most of the time 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really a visual learner. I get really annoyed when videos don't have subtitles. 

Trying to learn a language with Pimsleur drove me crazy 🤣 I thought it was the worst language learning program ever. Couldn't learn a thing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Jazzy_broccoli

Fun fact: Although some people might have a "preferred type" of learning, studies show that there are no "types" more effective than another.

The most effective way of retaining information is actually combining multiple "types" at the same time.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Jazzy_broccoli said:

Fun fact: Although some people might have a "preferred type" of learning, studies show that there are no "types" more effective than another.

The most effective way of retaining information is actually combining multiple "types" at the same time.

Now this is interesting.... wonder if those studies are actually worth their weight in salt.... :lol:

Jazzy_broccoli
21 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Now this is interesting.... wonder if those studies are actually worth their weight in salt.... :lol:

Actually, I guess my case is more about learning in the classroom. But here's some links if you're interested.

The Biggest Myth In Education (15min)

The Stubborn Myth of “Learning Styles” (Furey, W. 2020)

I do believe in Gardner's eight types of intelligence and that a student with a superior auditory skillset will be better at learning an instrument for instance. But that same student will not perform better with "auditory stimulations" in the classroom.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jazzy_broccoli said:

Actually, I guess my case is more about learning in the classroom. But here's some links if you're interested.

The Biggest Myth In Education (15min)

The Stubborn Myth of “Learning Styles” (Furey, W. 2020)

I do believe in Gardner's eight types of intelligence and that a student with a superior auditory skillset will be better at learning an instrument for instance. But that same student will not perform better with "auditory stimulations" in the classroom.

Thanks for sharing! I'll look into these....

StarryNightAllAlone

I'm an auditory learner.

• Like 2
AroAce Wolf

Visual.

I need to see what I'm learning and be shown how to do something, what something means, etc. I struggle with learning with no visual examples/aids at all. It makes everything more difficult to understand and absorb.

If all learning types are combined, that makes things better since they can work together to reinforce what I'm learning. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
On 5/20/2022 at 7:15 AM, Jazzy_broccoli said:

That's how the trainers in my workplace teach us, too. They use slideshows, talk about the subject, then make us try to do it ourselves, all while we're taking notes. :P

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
On 5/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

I'm an auditory learner.

You seem to be a rare type here :D you're unique ^_^

• Like 1
2 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

You seem to be a rare type here :D you're unique ^_^

I have a good friend who is an auditory learner too, he listens to notes, and picks things up quite quickly doing this.

He also prefers audio books over reading, because he says it is easier for him to follow the story, I can't do audio books at all lol. :lol:

J. van Deijck
56 minutes ago, Calliers said:

I can't do audio books at all lol. :lol:

Me neither :lol: I zone out and don't remember anything :P

• Like 2
1 hour ago, alsjeblieft said:

Same here! I just totally zone out too! :lol:

I can't retain jack shit of what I hear! LOL!

On 5/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, alsjeblieft said:

I zone out too :) Which is ironic, seeing as I record them as a hobby.

As for writing stuff down, is there a difference between doing it on paper vs using keyboard, I wonder?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

As for writing stuff down, is there a difference between doing it on paper vs using keyboard, I wonder?

Back when I was in school, students didn't come in with laptops and tablets, we all used pen and paper. I wonder what my retention rate would have been had I used a laptop during my school years.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I'm in the zone out club, too. I do listen to podcasts, but sometimes catch my mind wandering. :P 

I feel like I have encountered some info somewhere that, yes, there is a difference between writing stuff down vs typing, in terms of note-taking and retention. But I could be mistaken. I don't know if using a stylus and tablet sort of device would be pretty much the same as analog writing in that regard.

• Like 2
On 5/28/2022 at 10:42 AM, daveb said:

I'm in the zone out club, too. I do listen to podcasts, but sometimes catch my mind wandering. :P 

I feel like I have encountered some info somewhere that, yes, there is a difference between writing stuff down vs typing, in terms of note-taking and retention. But I could be mistaken. I don't know if using a stylus and tablet sort of device would be pretty much the same as analog writing in that regard.

You know, I've only ever listened to podcasts like countable times in my life, I don't get why people do it.

The last podcast I listened to was a music podcast, wasn't bad, I prefer playlists. Even whenever I take the time to listen to ASOT (A State of Trance) I listen to playlists of it on Spotify.

A combination of visual and kinesthetic. Although I do find it depends on what I'm learning, i need to process things in my own time. I'm quite poor at processing auditory information, unless its accompanied by something visual I find it difficult to filter out background noise and focus. I'm ok with reading but it can take slightly longer as I have a remarkable talent to miss or repeat parts.

• 10 months later...

@Baasje

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

• Like 1