63 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these?

• visual
    • auditory
    • reading/writing
    • kinesthetic

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck

There are 4 types of learning and I'm curious how people on AVEN learn new things.

• Like 1
a little annihilation

I learn best by reading and writing. I do terrible with audible things. If I listen to information I will not retain or comprehend it unless I'm trying really fucking hard like in school for example where it's very necessary

• Like 3

Likely kinisthetic. I was going to say I wasn't sure and was probably an all rounder, but there's one thing that separates kinisthetic from the other categories. I have to like what I'm learning to utilize the other three. If I don't, fat chance of teaching me. I can not like what I'm learning but pick it up physically though.

• Like 1
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

I learn primally by repetition and experimentation. 

• Like 3
J. van Deijck

I'm a typically kinesthetic learner. I have to touch things, set them apart, put them back together in order to understand how they work. If I listen about something, I don't remember anything at all.

• Like 1
Black Tourmaline

i read paper books about 2 hours in the morning and listen to related lectures about 2 hours late afternoon (Torah study).
i like podcasts too for getting news and peer perspectives but i don't know if that counts as learning. it's more like intellectual entertainment to me.

• Like 1

Probably a combination of auditory and reading/writing. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
4 hours ago, 𝓁𝔬v𝕖Łу said:

I do terrible with audible things.

Yeah, not for me either. It just doesn't work at all ._.

• Like 1

For me it's all of them combined to varying degrees but visuals are dominant. Perfectly fitting for someone whose work revolves around the visual arts. Who would have thunked? XD Visuals are closely followed by reading and writing (either while reading or listening). I don't really work with my hands a lot outside of writing which I do by hand for important things like taking notes and following lectures but I also can't deny that gaining knowledge through doing/making stuff with my hands is useful as well.

• Like 2
Blue eyes white dragon

Visual and reading I have a hard time comprehending audio stuff

• Like 1

It depends. Lots of auditory (in ballet I was never able to remember combinations when I couldn't hear the instructor's voice over the music, he had a terrible habit of talking over - or rather, under - it), some visual (when it comes to, say, crochet patterns and other crafting instructions), reading when it's theoretical / academic stuff.

• Like 1
TheSmolFoxWeeb

Visual learning for me

• Like 2

Anything but auditory—I'll zone out and miss half of what was said.

• Like 2
Boondocks Paradox

Pretty much a visual learner since childhood

And pretty much weak in kinesthetic learning since childhood

• Like 2
Anomaly Q3Xr

A mix of reading and visual, though the reading needs to be broken down into short paragraphs, due to lack of concentration. Worse with audible than anything else.

• Like 1

i honestly have no idea, i haven't paid more than 15% attention to anything happening in a learning environment since. ever

if i had to guess... maybe auditory?

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
23 hours ago, silent__ said:

Anything but auditory—I'll zone out and miss half of what was said.

Sounds familiar. 

• Like 1
On 3/23/2022 at 4:00 AM, alsjeblieft said:

There are 4 types of learning and I'm curious how people on AVEN learn new things.

Howard Gardner would be disappointed.

J. van Deijck
6 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Howard Gardner would be disappointed.

I only have a vague idea of who he is :P

• Like 1

Generally visual or reading; I have a hard enough time tracking conversations to record and remember material spoken, but I have a very good visual memory.

Interestingly, there is a balance between not being able to focus enough to sit down and read for 2 hours and having poor auditory processing that leaves me largely consuming audiobooks while driving or working that somehow works for me, though I usually have to go back and replay some chapters where very important things happen.

• Like 1

I don't have a very clear primary type, except for that I'm not that good at processing complex auditory information: for example, I can't write down spoken numbers like "three hundred six thousand eighty two" unless another person says it sloooowly. I see numbers like "3862", as a kind of image.

Choice of preferred method depends on what I'm learning. Roughly speaking:

• I need to learn a brain-based skill or a pattern, like programming, cooking a specific recipe, or solving a specific type of math problem --> Doing it myself, assisted with other methods, like reading example code.
  • I need to learn a body-based skill, like breathing exercises or throwing a punch --> Doing it slowly and focusing on body, perhaps with someone guiding me with what I am doing. (Kinesthetic?)  
  • I need to learn what something contains and how different elements connect to each other --> Visual graphs.
  • I need to read something based on a school course aka info dumb --> first reading, then further processing it by writing or drawing graphs.
  • I need a quick overview of something and I'm tired --> Auditory narration (surprisingly). Not much may not stick in my mind, but listening requires less active focus in this kind of situation. Auditory narration helps me get an overall picture in laziest way possible, and I can later use it as a base when using other methods to learn.
  • Like 1

Toss up between Visual and Reading/Writing. I do very well with Visual, closely followed by Reading/Writing. If I can get anything explained to me visually that would be my first option, and I would retain nearly everything that is covered. Like I mean it is almost effortless for me.

J. van Deijck

Actually reading/writing is sometimes helpful for me, too, but kinesthetic goes first, I learn things best by actually doing them.

• Like 1
bertiewooster

I need to be shown how to do it, most definitely.  Being told how to do something is a nightmare.  I need to be able to see it and work through it.  Like, for example, in a story I was writing about the Titanic, I needed to describe how the spaces were, but reading it is like gobbledygook.  I literally downloaded this MASSIVE thing these people have been working on for years, a demo of it, where it lets you wander the ship and then by putting myself in it and seeing it, I was able to write down for my story where I couldn't before with just reading the details.

• Like 3

Kinesthetic, sometimes being on the autistic spectrum means other learning methods ate less successful

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Kinesthetic, sometimes being on the autistic spectrum means other learning methods ate less successful

Sounds true actually 🤔

• Like 2

Reading and writing, maybe a bit visual

But if you really want me to learn something I usually go at my own pace, dissecting questions and looking at lesson notes and whatnot

I've found that really helps me take in material instead of last minute cramming for a test 

• Like 2

Visual and reading/writing pretty 50/50. 

• Like 2