Does your voice sound like your voice?

Aries A.

Poll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Does the voice you hear when you speak matches your voice on recordings?

• Yes, they sound the same
    • No, it's complitely different
    • Kind of
    • idk
    • I've never listened to my voice on recordings or other N/A
  2. 2. Are you trans?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of / idk
  3. 3. Are this things connected?

• Maybe (in my case)
    • I'm trans or kind of, and i have a dismatch, but don't think it's connected
    • I'm trans or kind of, but i hear my voice the way it is
    • I'm not trans, but i don't hear my voice the way it is
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck

My voice is confusing in a similar way and that's why I'm insecure about it :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there's any connection. I think having your voice sound different recorded than when you hear it while speaking is a pretty common phenomenon. I can't stand listening to a recording of my voice. 

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
20 minutes ago, Since said:

I can't stand listening to a recording of my voice. 

Me too, it makes me cringe hard. 

Spoiler

Especially that I still have a teenager's voice for some unknown reason :ph34r:

MonsterTurtle

My voice apparently sound rather high
which it absolutely doesn't from within 😂

I also found i really cringe listening to it at the beginning, but by now I "recognize" it as my voice and it's... well stil kind of weird but far better

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

The voice in my head and my recorded voice are similar, but I still find my recorded voice slightly different.  It is a bit deeper and I find the way I say some sounds irritating.  

• 1 month later...

My speaking voice is a sultry mezzo (my singing range is massive but the comfy range is dramatic soprano). On recordings I sound annoyingly high-pitched unless I forcefully deepened my voice.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have feelings for my voice one way or the other as I hear it.  It's just whatever.

My voice on recordings ...  I feel like I sound much ...  less feminine?  Not that I think my voice is particularly feminine, but it just screams "tomboy" to me somehow.  Maybe it's also my manner of speech, idk.

Most people I've talked to are horrified by their own recorded voice.

• 4 weeks later...

Because you are hearing your voice resonate through your face instead of the air, it sounds deeper to you. The way you sound on recordings is how other people hear you.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

I sound similar, but I have a noticeable accent that I don't hear when I'm talking. I hate it.

Same.  I sound like a woman with a not-all-that-high but not-all-that-low voice when I talk (to me), but then if I hear a recording I just sound like the Beverly Hillbillies.  I'm always like where did this come from and why. 😑

a little annihilation

I basically read everything in my voice so yeah they sound basically the same

For me, it's not that my voice as I hear it doesn't match recordings, it's that I sound nothing like you would expect if you saw me in person. 

My voice on recordings doesn't sound like how I hear it when I speak, but I have a twin & my voice on recordings to me sounds like her voice when I hear her. (She says the same thing). We also experience this when there are echoes that sometimes come on phone conversations where you hear your own voice - that's super weird when it happens because it's hard to tell our voices apart.

TheBookDragon

I have an accent that sorta magically appeared one day when I was 4 or something and I can't hear it. In fact, I didn't know it was even there until I was 11 when a kid tried to imitate me. She didn't mean to, but it ended up like mocking. And I still have a ridiculously child-like voice.

Also my lovely mother brings up that she cannot understand me when I speak a couple of times, so I took to randomly asking people but apparently they understand me fine, just sounds like I have an accent somewhere from Europe that's not overly strong.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:11 PM, Calliers said:

You want to know the strangest thing? When my best friend woke up, he found a note by the side of his bed that said "Do you know where you've been? The Matrix has you." To this day we don't know who left that note there, for a few months he didn't tell me coz he thought I was the one playing a prank on him, but it wasn't me who left it there and we were like "wait what!!?" when he told me.

Huh. That's strange indeed. I too found a random note tucked inside my pencil case saying: Watch out [my name]. I know who you are. This was a couple months ago and I didn't recognize the handwriting but I asked a couple people who I thought could have put it there and they all said they didn't do it and have no clue. So, um, creepy, and I still have no idea who did it. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

I have a speech impediment that I can't hear until I hear a recording of myself. I hate it.

So do I. It was so strong that people didn't believe I was talking english in preschool, so I went to years of speech therapy and now it's better. I still want it gone though.

My voice is actually significantly lower than I hear it

• 1 month later...
fantastic mx. foxglove

I do a lot of recording and audio editing, so I'm pretty use to hearing my voice at this point

My voice is sometimes lower in my head than I think it is, but the weird thing about my voice is that it is very inconsistent. I'm either too high or too low for my recordings (though I have gotten a lot better at maintaining this) and I always seem to sound different from day to day. I'm actually rather curious as to why that is

My recorded voice is slightly higher than I think it is, so I hate listening to recordings 😂

And for some reason my voice sounds different when I speak another language. When comparing the pitch, it's highest in Dutch, and lower in English and Danish, but the tone of my voice also depends a bit on whether I'm speaking formally (lower pitch) or informally (higher pitch) 

• 3 months later...

@Aries A.

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator