Does your voice sound like your voice?

Aries A.

Poll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Does the voice you hear when you speak matches your voice on recordings?

• Yes, they sound the same
    • No, it's complitely different
    • Kind of
    • idk
    • I've never listened to my voice on recordings or other N/A
  2. 2. Are you trans?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of / idk
  3. 3. Are this things connected?

• Maybe (in my case)
    • I'm trans or kind of, and i have a dismatch, but don't think it's connected
    • I'm trans or kind of, but i hear my voice the way it is
    • I'm not trans, but i don't hear my voice the way it is
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

notafigmentofurimagination

Wind sounds very different on audio recordings than it does irl and it's annoying

• Like 5

Who knows. My unrecorded voice doesn't match my voice in my head, and my recorded voice is different than both, so...

• Like 4

Yep, sounds pretty much the same. I'm cis female and have a somewhat lower voice for a woman. Haven't noticed any major differences between recordings and what I hear when I speak.

• Like 1
Milque Toast
18 minutes ago, Zagadka... but Ukrainian said:

Who knows. My unrecorded voice doesn't match my voice in my head, and my recorded voice is different than both, so...

Yeah, my voice feels the same over recordings, but whether it sounds the same in my HEAD is a WHOLE other question. I only know that it doesn't sound the way my actual voice naturally does, so might be a fun experiment to figure out what it sounds like in my head- and maybe try to do some voice training or something to sound like that irl

#transitiongoals lmao

• Like 1

The voice I hear when I speak is very different then listening to me on a recording, but people tell me this is because I'm quiet and not as loud as I think I am lol.

• Like 1
Zimmermikeee

The voice in my head is way too high female voice. The voice on recordings is a lil lower but also female.

THe voice i wanna talk w is kinda low and male-ish. A huge dismatch happened only here.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Omega8 said:

The voice I hear when I speak is very different then listening to me on a recording, but people tell me this is because I'm quiet and not as loud as I think I am lol.

Same! 

People tell me all the time st gymnastics practice that I talk too quietly when I'm asking a coach to spot in vault

I feel like I'm yelling when everyone else says I'm whispering so who knows. 

• Like 3
Anomaly Q3Xr

My voice sounds nothing like what I hear when I speak. It's kind of difficult to describe. But 100% not the same.

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere
21 minutes ago, Sammie M said:

My voice sounds nothing like what I hear when I speak. It's kind of difficult to describe. But 100% not the same.

It's just like that for me. I've been told that the way we "hear our voice from the inside", through all the bones of our skulls etc., doesn't necessarily match the way it "really sounds like".

I much prefer the way my voice sounds when I'm speaking directly than when recorded or through a microphone. I've long known that I'm tone-deaf, that I lack "ear-voice coordination". My mom is tone-deaf too, except she hates singing and I enjoy singing... :( (We both, despite being tone-deaf, enjoy listening to music, but I'm more picky and much further from the mainstream.) I have long realised that there are melodies I can sing OK (at least they sound OK to me) and there are melodies I can't repeat no matter what even if I "hear" them all right in my memory... But given the difference between "inner hearing" and recorded voice, maybe the songs I can actually sing don't sound that good after all... :( Not that I have any professional ambitions in this regard, I just enjoy singing, that's all, and I feel hurt when family members mock me because of this. :(

Too bad that I'm tone-deaf and don't have any instrument I could play while vocalising (I have a flute, and since it's a woodwind, that won't work - and a basic flute, for some weird reason called a recorder*, has little range anyway) - because of this I can't tell what is my voice range. But I think it might approach or even exceed three octaves.

*Actually, I've read that at some point - perhaps even before the invention of mechanical reproduction of sound - the word "record" also meant "memorise", and a simple flute was considered a very useful instrument for practising melodies, and that's how it got this name. Maybe. But today it's very confusing, most English-speaking people (whether English is a native language or foreign language to them) probably first think of a sound-recording device, such as the now outdated cassette dictaphone, when they hear the word "recorder"...

• Like 1

I try not to think about it.

• Like 2

My recorded voice doesn't sound like my voice when I listen to it when I am speaking. I've been called white washed before and a lot of people if they speak to me without seeing me refuse to even believe that I'm black. 🤣

Anarchist Kaos

It doesn't at all, which I think may be connected my transness but I'm not sure, because I've gotten pretty decent at "fem voice" and that doesn't satisfy me either, TBH I think the only way I'd feel like I sound by myself is that when I open my mouth multiple echoed voices came out and they all had a variety of pitches from low to high, then again it's possible I'm just crazy or something, IDK. 

J. van Deijck

No, it doesn't. It's somehow more nasal or whatever... or I just don't realise it while I'm speaking :lol:

Spoiler

When I woke up from coma three months ago, I couldn't speak at all, and then my voice sounded like Darth Vader. I'm pretty sure I'd freak out if someone showed me recordings from that time :lol:

4 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

No, it doesn't. It's somehow more nasal or whatever... or I just don't realise it while I'm speaking :lol:

Hide contents

When I woke up from coma three months ago, I couldn't speak at all, and then my voice sounded like Darth Vader. I'm pretty sure I'd freak out if someone showed me recordings from that time :lol:

OMG, I'm so sorry! :( 

My best friend was in a coma too, I used to go to his bed side and cry, I never thought he would wake up. But one day he woke up. I am so thankful for that.

He said he had weird dreams in his coma.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
13 minutes ago, Calliers said:

He said he had weird dreams in his coma.

Me too, actually. Like I was two different people, kind of like multiple personality <_< and it felt strange, like I heard everything and everyone, but I couldn't react at all, at least I thought so, but later I've been told I was blinking when they were speaking to me. That's some weird shit :D I wasnt even aware this was coma, I thought I was just too tired to open my eyes :ph34r:

And I'm so sorry for your friend. Great that everything ended up well.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

Me too, actually. Like I was two different people, kind of like multiple personality <_< and it felt strange, like I heard everything and everyone, but I couldn't react at all, at least I thought so, but later I've been told I was blinking when they were speaking to me. That's some weird shit :D I wasnt even aware this was coma, I thought I was just too tired to open my eyes :ph34r:

And I'm so sorry for your friend. Great that everything ended up well.

I'm happy that you're better now too, you're a great person. :)

You want to know the strangest thing? When my best friend woke up, he found a note by the side of his bed that said "Do you know where you've been? The Matrix has you." To this day we don't know who left that note there, for a few months he didn't tell me coz he thought I was the one playing a prank on him, but it wasn't me who left it there and we were like "wait what!!?" when he told me.

• Like 2
StarryNightAllAlone

I sound similar, but I have a noticeable accent that I don't hear when I'm talking. I hate it.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
5 minutes ago, Calliers said:

I'm happy that you're better now too, you're a great person. :)

You want to know the strangest thing? When my best friend woke up, he found a note by the side of his bed that said "Do you know where you've been? The Matrix has you." To this day we don't know who left that note there, for a few months he didn't tell me coz he thought I was the one playing a prank on him, but it wasn't me who left it there and we were like "wait what!!?" when he told me.

That's indeed strange :o do you recognize handwriting or something? It's weird, but also quite interesting, I must say :ph34r:

And thanks, you too :D

Another strange thing, when I woke up from coma I was completely paralysed on the left side - yet a month later I was able to walk on my own. It's a miracle, really. I deal with hand paresis to this day, but I give it 70% of mobility already because the problem is mostly in my wrist and fingers. And they still say I'm improving every day, so I enjoy going to rehabilitation, really :D

• Like 3
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

That's indeed strange :o do you recognize handwriting or something? It's weird, but also quite interesting, I must say :ph34r:

And thanks, you too :D

Another strange thing, when I woke up from coma I was completely paralysed on the left side - yet a month later I was able to walk on my own. It's a miracle, really. I deal with hand paresis to this day, but I give it 70% of mobility already because the problem is mostly in my wrist and fingers. And they still say I'm improving every day, so I enjoy going to rehabilitation, really :D

That is indeed a miracle! :D

Well no, he did not recognize the writing, and because he thought I was just playing a prank on him he tossed the note. It's one of those things that make you go "hmmm".

With my new mic it sound familiar, though I'm not sure if it's near to my real voice. AFAIK it sound a little different.

• Like 2

I knew my voice sounded a bit different than on tape to as I hear it

But it took me many years until adulthood when people would say things to my face about how they thought I was not irish because of the way I sound

• Like 2
TheSmolFoxWeeb

It sounds higher when I watch it back

I want my voice to be lower

The struggle is real 

• Like 2

I don't know. I don't speak often and I don't think my voice has been recorded for years and years.

• Like 2

It doesn't tbh.

Sounds wayyyyg too high pitched, completely different from what I hear when I speak, or the voice in my head

I'm basically genderqueer, I prefer not to use the trans label

My voice always sounds way too high when I hear it recorded back, but okay in my head. Sometimes this is because of the recording -- they aren't always strictly accurate -- but I had assumed people's voices always sounded different in their heads. I can also hear my trouble pronouncing Rs when my voice is recorded, but not in my head.

Unsurprisingly I hate hearing my voice recorded.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Remmirath said:

My voice always sounds way too high when I hear it recorded back, but okay in my head. Sometimes this is because of the recording -- they aren't always strictly accurate -- but I had assumed people's voices always sounded different in their heads. I can also hear my trouble pronouncing Rs when my voice is recorded, but not in my head.

Unsurprisingly I hate hearing my voice recorded.

Yeah, I don't like to hear my own voice recorded either. I wonder why that is, probably because it doesn't sound like what I think it sounds like. It sounds like someone else's voice.

WhereTheSkiesEnd

I have a speech impediment that I can't hear until I hear a recording of myself. I hate it.

On recordings my voice is similar though a bit higher and sounds to my mind, even worse. Yeah I don't really like my own voice, but  everyone else says my voice is not that bad

Not trans, but intersex - most people listening to me think I'm female, despite having male dangly bits

• Like 1