Opinion on suggestive, sexual contents, jokes, or innuendos

Opinions on suggestive, sexual contents, jokes, or innuendos  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How comfortable/uncomfortable are you?

• Like it/like doing it
    • "Haha", fine, neutral, laugh it off
    • Not fond of it
    • Ew disgusting
    • Other (specify below)

Keep in mind this does not mean harassing jokes directed towards another person (apparently some dumbasses can still think it’s a joke, lol). It’s more concerned about suggestive comments, pick-up lines/flirting; sexual media content like songs, movies, music videos, pictures, arts, skimpy/revealing outfits, etc.

For me personally, I feel disturbed by it. Don’t like it and can be disgusted. Sometimes it can really kill my mood. Because I just don’t get where it should be “funny” or “entertaining”, it’s really not. What about you guys?

I enjoy sexual humor quite a bit (which still confuses some of my allo friends) but other sexual content I just find boring. I think humor is the only context in which my brain can comprehend sex lol.

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

I said I like it but it depends.

If there is a sexual joke to be made, I'll probably be the one to make it.

Now for other content like sex scenes in movies, pick-up lines, etc, it fluctuates between neutral, slightly repulsed, perplexed, or I just laugh (I mean seriously, some movies).

It depends HEAVILY on context, but I honestly feel more comfortable around people who can joke about sex than people who don't. It has to be tongue-in-cheek, self-aware humor though, not crude or tasteless.
Pick up lines piss me off, mostly.
Skimpy outfits...I'm not a fan, but it's hard to say that nowadays without being accused of slut shaming. Like, I'm not saying it's wrong for a celebrity to wear a see through dress if they want, just that I personally find it bizarre rather than sexy.

• Like 1

This topic also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Lois McMaster Bujold: "You need a finely balanced sense of humor to do sex and stay sane."

It makes me uncomfortable. Often I’m really clueless and a bit slow to get the meaning. So I tend to keep quiet in situations where they come up and just tune it out. 

Depends. I find sex quite anthropologically interesting as a topic of discussion, and have no qualms about talking about it frankly; I also enjoy off-color humor with people I'm comfortable with.

I'm generally neutral about sexual content in media. Stuff that's really gratuitous or tasteless annoys me, but when sexuality is handled well and with care, I can find it just as compelling as anything else.

I used to find sexually charged songs, performance art, movies, etc. much more discomfiting, but I've largely grown out of that, now that I'm not consciously framing it as a standard or expectation I'm unable to meet and just seeing it as art.

• Like 2
nanogretchen4

I said I'm neutral, but it depends on the context. In the first place, sex jokes are not automatically funny, except maybe in middle school where the punchline is "Sex! Get it? Har har har! Snort!" In the second place, telling sex jokes at work or in an academic setting, etc. is often about power and about who "belongs" in that setting. Often it's straight white  cis males telling the jokes, and the punchlines are "Women! Get it?" Or "Gay! Get it?" Or "Trans! Get it?" Or "Black! Get it?" Or "Asian! Get it?" Then there are always those members of the targeted groups who feel they must prove that they are not offended and they can tell jokes even more raunchy, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, and racist than the assholes in power. But really, is that type of joke telling equally fun and relaxing for everyone involved? 

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

Quite comfortable, though not always sexual jokes, but kinky jokes, only online in a very specific kinky communities :P

Alright so I used to be uncomfortable with sexual humour, but now I have come to appreciate it more and it can be quite funny. As long as it's not overdone, because that just gets obnoxious. And obviously it depends, some is problematic or just not funny.

As for the kind of things you listed the opening post, my thoughts on those things vary greatly based on how it's portrayed. Sexual content if often portrayed in a problematic way, which does make me uncomfortable. But it can also be portrayed in a neutral or good way, in which case I'm fine with it.

I find sexual jokes funny as long as they're not seriously degrading to any particular person/group. But I'll laugh at just about anything. Pick up lines kind of irritate me, but if someone is trying to shoot their shot respectfully, that's not a problem. Unless they refuse to take no for an answer. I don't feel comfortable in skimpy outfits but it doesn't bother me to see other people in them. And if you're gonna wear it in the winter, respect for the hustle.

I think that like most humor, it can be really funny if it's clever or if it involved Pete Davidson. I don't make those jokes, though. 

Spoiler

Sister Mercurial

I chose the Ha Ha option because I have a very filthy sense of humour.  However, music-wise, I'm not into anything that's primarily about objectifying women, whatever the genre.  It's exceedingly odd to me that one often hears R&B songs that are disrespectful to women in shopping centres, but one seldom hears rock of any sort, even though there is plenty of rock music that is more respectful.  On one occasion, I put in an official complaint about a community event supposed to cater to everyone that played no rock on the PA, thereby excluding rock fans, but played R. Kelly despite all the scandal surrounding his behaviour.  

• Like 1
TormentDubz

Jokes are ok, anything else and it's screw that.

i am definitely not a fan of sex jokes. sometimes i'll laugh if the joke was just genuinely funny (if it could have been about anything else and still been funny), but 'heehee hoohoo i said the sex word' kinda jokes are boring at best and disgusting at worst. especially bad is when people talk crudely about sex or sexual partners they've had--like, i can only see those and think that those were actual human beings who probably don't feel great about being reduced down to the sex they gave someone 😕 people talking about how much sex they have/had or their 'body count' grosses me out for the same reason :(

as for the other things i don't really care; i don't like songs with suggestive lyrics as much but i'm pretty good at tuning that out. if someone used a really horny pickup line on me i'd be quite uncomfortable, but as a whole they're more likely to make my eyes roll than my stomach churn

HakunaKatana

I like sexual humor and innuendo as long as it's not reaching or done too frequently, but that's true for any type of humor.

It is extremely hit or miss. Like all jokes, some of it is just... bad. Horrible. Unfunny. As the kids say, cringe. Sometimes, it can be abusive, and frequently, just overused and constant to the point of being physically tiring (as people rely on being edgy and making references to sexual acts as if that is an inherently funny in joke).

But it can also be funny and enjoyable, as all comedy can.

Perhaps because I was with two sexuals most of my life (sequentially...), sexual jokes take me back to those days and I just don't want to be reminded of how I felt about...participating.  

It doesn't bother me, I understand most of it, some of it amuses me, makes me laugh, I'm not offended by it as long as it's not directed at someone on a personal or offensive level, we live in a so say 99% sexual world, I accept that, I also work in an environment where many sexual innuendos often crop up, it's the way of the world, I just get on with it

Wow, perfect time for the thread to appear in front of me!

I just got confronted with it a little while ago. I was out on my cram school just now and the girls behind and beside me were consecutively throwing sexual jokes at one another, believe me they were talking about it the whole time till the end of the class!

I don't usually recoil to sexual connotations too much and I'm also not fond of it but their conversations literally made me speechless. Like what sort of a person can gossip about it THIS much?? I didn't listen to them all the time but whenever i heard them talking, they were still at it all the time! Man...that was so uncomfortably annoying..

• 6 months later...

Sexual jokes for me has always been a somewhat ironic experience. Like, I enjoy sex jokes, but more on the premise of "Ha, sex exists, right? LOL". Its kind of the same with media, like people acting sexual in videos or magazines. Whenever I see them, my brain automatically shifts to "ha, look at these dorks. they like taking pictures naked?". The only time I guess I've been uncomfortable is when people do the old I'm going to be real insulting to this person and expect nothing to go wrong. Like, If you're going to be nasty, at least be nasty with someone who doesn't care.

Also, for innuendos, it always look me a good half a minute or someone explaining it to me for me to understand. Like for instance, I never really understood the whole finger in the hole or the 69 joke until someone told me they meant sex.

I don't like sex jokes in general, I don't even know why but I just don't like them. I see alot of sexual comments and innuendos when I'm scrolling through tumblr, most made by straight women lusting after male celebs, and I always feel a bit uncomfortable reading them because I see sex as something private and these comments are so specific I wonder how the celebs would feel if they read them. Maybe they'd like it, but maybe they'd be embarrassed. I'm a bit uncomfortable with how forward people are online about their specific sexual desires for specific people. But more than uncomfortable, I actually feel more bemused because as a demi I don't feel sexual attraction for celebs or anyone I'm not emotionally connected to and it flabbergasts me to read people's specific desires for a person they've never met. 

Sex and romance in movies and books more annoys me than anything else. I’m not grossed out by it unless the sex part gets really overt. It’s just the fact that it’s so universal and it’s not something I can relate to.

And yeah, sex jokes that are like… targeted at someone’s appearance. If it’s not at someone you know well and they’re okay with it, it’s creepy and gross. But I feel like that’s not an ace thing, that’s just being uncomfortable at something that could be considered harassment. Maybe being ace makes it easier to be objective about it and recognize it as that, but even that feels like it’s saying that sexual people have more of an excuse for being creepy, which they don’t.

Now, sex jokes that are just vague innuendo, I’m totally okay with. “That’s what she said” jokes are mostly just clever word play, like dad jokes you don’t tell your kids, and I’m all for it. That said, even with those you really gotta know your company, because some people are going to uncomfortable with them and you still need to respect that.

I'm fine with sex jokes but most of the time I find them unfunny and lazy. Stuff where the punchline is some variant of 'big dick'. Humor is subjective and all but I prefer the jokes where someone is caught out and has to escape before things get too socially awkward. 

notactuallymerida

It depends. Sex jokes can be funny, although sometimes I just won’t get them. But they’re just outright annoying if the person making the joke tries to imply that I could be involved in any kind of sexual activity. As an aegosexual I’m fine with some sexual content like sex scenes in films or books. I just don’t want to see any genitals or read detailed descriptions about them.