Least favorite tropes/themes in anime?

StarryNightAllAlone

Turning full size characters into Chibi versions of themselves when they get mad or angry over something.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, fuzzipueo said:

Turning full size characters into Chibi versions of themselves when they get mad or angry over something.

Or where the chibi version of them is the "normal" one and the actual appearance of the character is rare to see. That one is like in Black Clover with Charmy or Wallflower with Sunako.

• Like 4
Captain Jay

Considering that I like to say that Pokémon is the only anime I've deeply cared about (which is mostly accurate), I'm not sure how qualified I would be to post here. All I know is that a while ago, I decided to pull up Hi Score Girl on Netflix thinking that it would be a neat look at '80s/'90s gaming culture... but in practice, it see-sawed between that and a typical anime love triangle story too much. It didn't help that it fell foul of the "physical abuse played for laughs" trope mentioned in the first post.

All that stuff about gratuitous fanservice and "accidental" groping and the like... the most I can say is that I do think it's silly, but I can't quite bring myself to outright hate it, if only because hating media in general doesn't strike me as worth the energy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

What are some of your least favorite tropes, themes, or elements from anime? The ones that bother me the most include:

- Ecchi or any perverted actions where the main "hero" gropes women without their consent, looks up their skirts, and otherwise sexually harasses them. (It's also bad if the pervert is a woman. The reason I used "hero" is because this character is usually a guy.) Also in some anime, the guy accidentally rips the girl's clothes off. WTF? Some anime seem to think this is funny or flirtatious. It's not. At least not to me.

- Oversexualized characters, typically females (I'm not against sexy characters, but I find it annoying when an anime exaggerates certain features and gives the character barely any personality).

- Some slapstick comedy where a character repeatedly gets slapped or beat up by another character(s). I know some people don't mind this trope, and I'm not talking about isolated incidents of slapping someone who deserves it or action scenes, but when the character gets beaten up every episode it starts to get annoying. Important to note that it's usually male characters who are subjected to this abuse. Examples: Love Hina & Zero no Tsukaima.

- Love triangles. This is just a personal preference. I've never been a fan of love triangles or harems. If I'm watching a romance anime, I prefer the focus to be on developing the relationship between two characters, not on who the protagonist is going to choose.

- When the main (usually female) love interest is portrayed as a dumb bimbo who can't think for herself. I hate this trope. I'm not talking about a character who is a little dense in certain situations.

- The a-hole love interest and romanticizing abuse. If you've watched any shoujo anime, you know this guy. Think Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango, Irie from Itazura na Kiss, and Kyoya from Wolf Girl and Black Prince. These men treat their girlfriends like a possession. Tsukasa is a literal pyschopath. I wouldn't care if the point of these shows was to portray abusive relationships. The problem is these anime romanticize the male lead's abusive behavior. Even worse, when the female leads decide to enter into a relationship with these jerks. I don't want this to come across as victim blaming. I wouldn't blame someone in an abusive relationship who was too afraid to leave, or had been brainwashed to believe they loved their abuser, or felt trapped in their situation. But these girls know their male leads treat them like trash before getting into a relationship and they still decide to date these jerks. These guys don't need a relationship. They need therapy. What excuse does the anime give for this? "They can't help who they love." That may be true, but we can control our actions. No one deserves to be treated like a piece of gum that got stuck to the bottom of their partner's shoe. You're better than that. I just want to tell these characters: RUN! CALL THE COPS! GET A RESTRAINING ORDER! These aren't love stories. They're horror stories.

Sorry for going off on the last one. I just hate that trope. I don't judge anyone who watches these kinds of anime. Everyone has guilty pleasures, but I hate when people romanticize these things.

Man..i completely, strongly agree with everything you said there..every single aspects that you pointed out here are an absolute eyesore to me, these are literally very much deplorable in my opinion..i have skipped so many animes for these frameworks that i can barely keep up with the numbers now. These are too detestable and it makes my head hurt as to how many people actually like these scenarios..it makes no sense to me, i absolutely berate and disregard these plots.. i don't understand how someone can even romanticize such toxic and psychotic behaviours..and the pervertness and toxic masculinity is so deeply engraved in many of them that it is literally in every anime by now.. I'm so glad that some of them are not like that though..i really appreciate the ones without these circumstances..

by the way, thanks for indicating these really overrated affairs in the anime world that i really hope will be removed in the recent future

• Like 2

This covers my dislikes pretty well. I see that a lot of the dislike towards these tropes come from values dissonance between Japanese and Western audiences, and the Japanese audience is the primary audience of anime and manga. Gotta say, what I hear, see, and read, Japan has a huge load to sexism to work on in their culture overall.

Ecchi or sexual female fanservice usually means I will drop a show immediately. I find it super gross and honestly creepy how often young, underage girls are sexualized and objectified in anime for no reason whatsoever. And when the sexualisation and fanservice is being done to an adult woman, I expect there to be an almost equal amount of fanservice involving male characters.

I also hate the way there is always a female character who gets relegated to the "damsel" role in shounen shows. I've seen many shows where the female lead is introduced as tought and resilient and then she instantly becomes a weak damsel in the face of all the ridiculously strong male characters, some of which who are literal children too! Also whenever a male character is weaker they always get a training arc to overcome their weaknesses, but for some reason the female leads are never allowed to become as strong (e.g. Samurai Deeper Kyo, Ranma 1/2, Rurouni Kenshin). The thing is as well this trope wouldn't be so bad if the female leads had another key role in the story that wasn't just to be a sexy lamp or at least if they were sensible enough to avoid danger instead of stupidly running straight into it so the story can have some tension.

Manga like Nogami Neuro and From Far Away actually address this very well, by embracing the fact their female characters aren't physically strong, but are mentally strong, intelligent and know when and how to run away to avoid complicating moments of conflict. These female leads are also able to resolve conflict by embracing these supportive skills and end up being a key character in enabling the protagonists to win.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AavaMeri said:

Gotta say, what I hear, see, and read, Japan has a huge load to sexism to work on in their culture overall.

I don't think sexism is alone responsible for this type of condemnable representation. I think Japanese writers are more of a people pleasure and they mainly write or create that sort of stories to gain more popularity from it. What i mean is-many people in this world actually like these types of plots and gestures and so writers use it as their advantage to gain more clout from it. And i think we have to agree that the oversexualized animes have more fanbase than the decent ones, the only exceptions are probably the action animes. But however, i think that's why there are so many oversexualized animes with so much sexism ingrained in them since most people actually like these things. So it's necessary-to gain popularity i guess

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The way Senseis train anyone that isn't the main character. :lol:

• Like 1
On 2/25/2022 at 10:47 PM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

- The a-hole love interest and romanticizing abuse. If you've watched any shoujo anime, you know this guy. Think Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango, Irie from Itazura na Kiss, and Kyoya from Wolf Girl and Black Prince. These men treat their girlfriends like possessions. Tsukasa is a literal pyschopath. I wouldn't care if the point of these shows was to portray abusive relationships. The problem is these anime romanticize the male lead's abusive behavior. Even worse, when the female leads decide to enter into relationships with these jerks. I don't want this to come across as victim blaming. I wouldn't blame someone in an abusive relationship who was too afraid to leave, or had been brainwashed to believe they loved their abuser, or felt trapped in their situation. But these girls know their male leads treat them like trash before getting into relationships and they still decide to date these jerks. These guys don't need relationships. They need therapy. What excuse does the anime give for this? "They can't help who they love." That may be true, but we can control our actions. No one deserves to be treated like a piece of gum that got stuck to the bottom of their partner's shoe. You're better than that. I just want to tell these characters: RUN! CALL THE COPS! GET A RESTRAINING ORDER! These aren't love stories. They're horror stories.

Honestly, I've seen some female-on-male examples, too.  Equally unpleasant.

• Like 2
StarryNightAllAlone
12 minutes ago, Karst said:

Honestly, I've seen some female-on-male examples, too.  Equally unpleasant.

Absolutely. Abuse is abuse, no matter what gender or sex the perpetrator is.

• Like 3