24 minutes ago, MCE4 said:

Didn't it occur to you that russia might be using their old technologies because they don't want ot invest the real deal in this? Do think they lack experts and skilled people? 

No, they simply lack the tech. Putin knows that if he doesn't deliver a victory he claimed, he could be removed from power, and likely assassinated. If he had any newer military technology, he'd be using it. But sanctions (and there is a lot of going unreported in the news, such as Western companies withdrawing from Russia voluntarily) means the military industry can't simply rebuild or build new equipment in adequate numbers. So instead he is following Stalin's example now: throw masses of soldiers to die on the front. This is how the Soviet army fought in the WWII; the difference is back then the US has supplied them heavily against Germany. Now they don't have such an external supplier. Hence Putin's visit to Iran, though there was some rumor that he was actually looking to make a more personal deal for protection, in case they try to overthrow him in Russia.

22 minutes ago, Charna said:

No, they simply lack the tech. Putin knows that if he doesn't deliver a victory he claimed, he could be removed from power, and likely assassinated. If he had any newer military technology, he'd be using it. But sanctions (and there is a lot of going unreported in the news, such as Western companies withdrawing from Russia voluntarily) means the military industry can't simply rebuild or build new equipment in adequate numbers. So instead he is following Stalin's example now: throw masses of soldiers to die on the front. This is how the Soviet army fought in the WWII; the difference is back then the US has supplied them heavily against Germany. Now they don't have such an external supplier. Hence Putin's visit to Iran, though there was some rumor that he was actually looking to make a more personal deal for protection, in case they try to overthrow him in Russia.

Russia is one of the biggest producers and exporters of weapons. Just like your impression could be right, its opposite could be too, and other 5656 possibilities. We can only know, if an actual basis supporting one possibility appears. But right now, there is nothing indicating that, but assumptions. You cannot also know what's going on in their military and how they are spending their money and doing what.

We can also say that ukraine is doing the same, throwing soldiers just for the sake of resistance. But the country gets demolished every day more than yesterday.

The thing is that, we cannot know, unless each side share their military plan. However, we can see Ukraine suffering most, because its territory is recieving a lot of damage while russia is intact. At the same time, all NATO countries respect what Russia forbade. If they knew it was failing and weak, would they be so respectful and cautious about not offending it?

It's not as simple as it seems.

11 hours ago, E said:

https://voxukraine.org/en/billions-on-credit-how-and-why-ukraine-borrows/ There's a link explaining how Ukraine was already in debt entrapment long before the war with Russia started.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ukraine-will-service-debt-time-full-despite-russian-invasion-government-2022-03-08/ A short snippet for you if you want.

Kyiv expects to receive 300 million euros from the European Union and $350 million from the World Bank this week. The U.S. government offered $1 billion of loan guarantees last month.

"We continue honouring our debt even in these extraordinary conditions," the ministry said in a written comment.

Ukraine paid almost $698 million of its external obligations in the first two months of the year and faces a further $3.7 billion in March-December, including peaks of $499 million in May and $1.73 billion in September.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/goldman-sachs-profits-ukraine-war-loophole-sanctions-rcna19584 A link pertaining to how these chucklefucks are profiting despite "sanctions" on Russia.

https://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/2022/04/calls-for-ukraine-debt-relief-grow-as-imf-and-world-bank-provide-fresh-loans-amidst-crisis/ A short read on Ukraine's multiplying debt situation and the fact that in the middle of the war they're still trying to pay foreign debt.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/03/11/these-members-of-congress-could-make-profit-us-arms-shipments-ukraine.html This shouldn't come as a surprise to you, people buying and selling shares in the companies sending weapons to Ukraine. If you don't want to read all that, here's the list of these charitable souls.

Sen. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat of Colorado, held between $100,001 and $250,000 in Raytheon shares, according to his most recent annual disclosure.  

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat of Rhode Island, held $15,001 to $50,000 in Lockheed Martin stock. He also held between $50,001 and $100,000 in stock in United Technologies, which was acquired by Raytheon.  

Thomas Daffron, a former longtime Hill chief of staff and the husband of Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, held between $15,000 and $50,000 in stock United Technologies, which was acquired by Raytheon. Annie Clark, Collins' spokeswoman, said he first acquired United Technologies at least as far back as 2014, before the Raytheon acquisition. "Tom Daffron has no involvement in the purchase or sale of any of the stocks in his diversified portfolio," she said. "These investment decisions are made solely by a third-party advisor." Clark also added that the senator herself does not own any stocks.  

Abigail Perlman Blunt, a lobbyist for Kraft Heinz who is also the wife of retiring Republican Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri, held between $100,001 and $250,000 in Lockheed Martin shares.  

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, a Republican of West Virginia, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in Lockheed Martin stock, her annual disclosures indicate. Her husband, Charlie Capito, who previously worked in finance, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in United Technologies, now acquired by Raytheon.  

Sen. Gary Peters, a Democrat of Michigan, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in Raytheon stock. Peters chairs the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee as well as the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.  

Martha Stacy, the wife of Democratic Sen. Tom Carper of Delaware, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in Raytheon stocks and between $1,001 and $15,000 in Lockheed Martin stocks. Carper serves on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. His spokeswoman, Rachel Levitan, said the couple has "always been careful to ensure that their financial investments are handled separately by a financial advisor who makes decisions and transactions independently." She added that Carper "fully supports ongoing conversations in Congress on how to strengthen the legislation and improve transparency and accountability for our elected officials."  

John Axne, the husband of Democratic Rep. Cindy Axne of Iowa who operates a digital design firm, sold between $1,001 and $15,000 in Lockheed Martin shares twice in February but still appears to hold stock in the company. Axne previously violated the STOCK Act through failing to properly report trades.   

Rep. Kevin Hern, a Republican of Oklahoma who built his wealth through McDonald's franchises, traded both Raytheon and Lockheed Martin stock throughout 2021. He most recently purchased shares of between $1,001 and $15,000 in both Raytheon and Lockheed Martin in December, documents show. Representatives for Hern, who has past STOCK Act violations, didn't reply to Insider's most recent inquiry but previously said a financial advisor manages the trades and that Hern "does not have any input or control over stock purchases."  

Rep. Fred Upton, a Republican of Michigan who is retiring after his term ends in 2022, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in Raytheon shares.  

Rep. Steve Cohen, a Democrat of Tennessee, held between $15,001 to $50,000 in Raytheon stock.  

Rep. John Curtis, a Republican of Utah, purchased between $1,001 and $15,000 in Raytheon shares in June 2021. He also held Lockheed Martin stock but public disclosures appear to show that he sold it in November 2021. His office did not reply to questions over whether he still held shares in the company.  

Rep. David Price, a Democrat of North Carolina, held between $15,001 and $50,000 in United Technologies which was then acquired by Raytheon.  

Rep. Dwight Evans, a Democrat of Pennsylvania, held between $1,001 and $15,000 in United Technologies which was acquired by Raytheon stock and in May 2021 he purchased between $1,001 and $15,000 in Lockheed Martin stock.  

Margaret Kirkpatrick, who is married to Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon and retired from her role as general counsel for NW Natural Gas, held up to $15,000 in Raytheon shares as part of her retirement portfolio. 

I'm sure if I wanted to do a little digging, I'd probably find that these nice politicians also advocated somewhere for sending aid to Ukraine in the form of weapons. But I saved the best for last. A history of how Ukraine came to be in a position of debt thanks mainly to the IMF. https://commons.com.ua/en/formuvannya-zalezhnosti/

So no Sally, it's not BS. They aren't helping out of the goodness of their hearts, they're helping because there's long term profit to be made.

I admit defeat, mainly in honor of the work you put into mounting that defense.  

7 hours ago, Sally said:

I admit defeat, mainly in honor of the work you put into mounting that defense.  

Not much work. I've just been reading for a few months as I was curious about who other than Putin would be trying to sink their claws into Ukraine through other means utilizing the current situation.

It's dissappointing to have my suspicions be correct rather than wrong. It was a peachy sentiment for a while to think that people were aiding Ukraine without ulterior motives, and to be fair, there probably are smaller organisations and people that are.

And I'm sure if the Ukraine people had to pick the lesser of evils, between total destruction and death squads vs financially being crushed and having their land "owned" by banks due to defaulting loan payments, they'd probably pick being alive and in debt over being dead. It's just...a despairing thought to ponder though. Death or soft slavery as an outcome to a war they didn't ask for to begin with.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, MCE4 said:

Russia is one of the biggest producers and exporters of weapons. Just like your impression could be right, its opposite could be too, and other 5656 possibilities. We can only know, if an actual basis supporting one possibility appears. But right now, there is nothing indicating that, but assumptions. You cannot also know what's going on in their military and how they are spending their money and doing what.

It doesn't matter how big a manufacturer is. What matters is where they source the parts. If you can't source all parts, your production will eventually stop once you run out. Why do you think sanctions have targeted air travel first? Why did Russia seize the foreign aircrafts? Because they have no industry manufacturing the spare parts required to service them. Military industry is regulated by governments, which means it's under even bigger scrutiny than commercial manufacturers. The Western governments know how to apply sanctions to block the necessary tech. Unfortunately, I think this is why they are not as fast as the could be with military help. Because the longer the war lasts, the more ruined Russia will come out of it.

Also, NATO is not a monolith. Both Poland and Lithuania are in NATO, and you can follow the news on Kaliningrad to see there is no respect here. Politicians are avoiding what could be considered an incitement to war, but other than this it's they usual push & pushback of Eastern European politics.

51 minutes ago, Charna said:

It doesn't matter how big a manufacturer is. What matters is where they source the parts. If you can't source all parts, your production will eventually stop once you run out. Why do you think sanctions have targeted air travel first? Why did Russia seize the foreign aircrafts? Because they have no industry manufacturing the spare parts required to service them. Military industry is regulated by governments, which means it's under even bigger scrutiny than commercial manufacturers. The Western governments know how to apply sanctions to block the necessary tech. Unfortunately, I think this is why they are not as fast as the could be with military help. Because the longer the war lasts, the more ruined Russia will come out of it.

Also, NATO is not a monolith. Both Poland and Lithuania are in NATO, and you can follow the news on Kaliningrad to see there is no respect here. Politicians are avoiding what could be considered an incitement to war, but other than this it's they usual push & pushback of Eastern European politics.

The thing is the dependence isn't one sided. It's both sides. If Russia stops oil from europe, then there would be a very difficult winter, and a crashing economy. They can't go full power, because if they do, it'll fire back, considering the mutual dependence.

By ruined Russia, what do you mean? How is russia's ruin different from that of Ukraine?

• 2 weeks later...

Six months later, what is happening still does not fit in my head. Very scary. Sometimes there are thoughts that nothing will save the world. Here in Kazakhstan everything is felt very acutely. Families are separated.

• Like 1

Just came here to say that I am okay and to say thank you for your love and support, also thank you for donating me ❤️ You are the best, with you we will win this evil war.

Thank you dear asexual family!!

• Like 3
On 8/10/2022 at 10:48 PM, ukrguy said:

Just came here to say that I am okay [...]

That's great news🤍

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Blueberry Pie said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/world-must-ready-russia-disintegration-172100396.html

Title: "World must be ready for Russia’s disintegration, US general says"

Thoughts on this article?

It seems extremely biased towards an opinion. There is no proof for the claims, and most of it is predicting a favorable future, which is something humanity cannot do.

4 hours ago, Blueberry Pie said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/world-must-ready-russia-disintegration-172100396.html

I haven't read it, but I'm certainly ready for Russia's disintegration and I'll bet the rest of the world is also, including most Russians.  

• Like 1

I wonder if what Putin's meeting with Jingping yesterday was like. Part of me hopes that tried to get Putin to admit that the war is not going well for him and maybe consider some sort of ceasefire so that negotiations can take place. This is eerily similar to what I imagine Russia was like in 1917, soldiers, many of whom did not want to be fighting, fighting a loosing war while the Tsar, out of touch grew less and less popular. I wonder whether Putin will make the same mistakes that Nicholas II did. 

• Like 1
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed
13 hours ago, Blueberry Pie said:

I think it's a stretch...Russia may not be as powerful as they thought they were but that's not to say they're powerless. I think the risk of a civil war breaking out again within Russia is certainly present, especially with the economic damage that Russia's isolation will inflict. Nobody is going to want to play ball with them after this is over, and they can't defend their massive territory without popular support and economic stability. I foresee China in particular standing to gain from Russia weakening or splintering, so I wouldn't be surprised if they start building up forces to threaten territory in Eastern Russia. Russia is running out of options, and frankly an escalation of conflict may be their only way forward. Military might is essential to them if they want to remain legitimate in the eyes of their people, so I foresee an amplification of hostilities. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Still said:

As much as current Russia sucks (and it sucks a lot), the thought of a nuclear power "disintegrating" is scary.

NATO certainly seems to think so... the only thing NATO fears more than a unified and aggressive Russia is a fractured and weak Russia, and for good reasons.

Last I heard, Ukraine has been retaking some of its own territory and freeing Ukrainian POWs from Russian custody along the way, and Putin's henchmen are starting to turn against him for failing to deliver the quick and orderly results he promised them from prosecuting his war. Putin is after all mortal and seems to have forgotten a little history lesson about the little ass-kicking Finland gave Stalin's forces back in 1939.

12 hours ago, ben8884 said:

I wonder if what Putin's meeting with Jingping yesterday was like. Part of me hopes that tried to get Putin to admit that the war is not going well for him and maybe consider some sort of ceasefire so that negotiations can take place. This is eerily similar to what I imagine Russia was like in 1917, soldiers, many of whom did not want to be fighting, fighting a loosing war while the Tsar, out of touch grew less and less popular. I wonder whether Putin will make the same mistakes that Nicholas II did. 

Although my history of Russia is dim at best, they have a particular repeating habit throughout history. Before Russia backs down from war, but after it admits to losing, its grip on authoritarism will increase. Because a dictator can't admit weakness, this being even more prevalent to Russian culture, the only logical move is to claim fault with the people rather than admit faulty leadership.

We'll either see gulags and crackdowns in growing force among russians until resistance(if there even was any to begin with) is beaten out of its people, or they'll revolt, overthrow the government, create a power vaccuum, and have the next mastermind who excels in this environment seize the reigns, and the whole cycle will start again. There's a reason why the russians that can afford to get out of russia are bailing. It's not because of not wanting the world to associate them with Putin, it's because they more than anybody know that human history repeats itself.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a very enlightened or intellectual argument but Putin and his cronies are real scum. That's all I have to say today. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Alaska Native Manitou

The Wagner Group is recruiting prisoners to fight. |  The Zambian government sponsored Lemekhani Nathan Nyerenda to study nuclear engineering in a
Moscow university. While there, he was arrested &
sentenced to 9 years in prison for drug possession. Later he sent a message to his family saying that he was no longer in prison, but he couldn't tell them where he went. On November 9th, the Zambian Ministry of Foreign Affairs was
informed that he died September 22nd in Ukraine. | image tagged in freedom,africa,human rights,third world | made w/ Imgflip meme maker 

The Wagner group is offering prisoners a chance to win their freedom by fighting for Russia.

• 1 month later...

Merry Christmas everyone, be happy!

May it be warm and joyful.

Right now writing this with air raid alarm siren from the shelter. Let's hope next Christmas will be better...

Thank you for your support, my family! 🎄💖🇺🇦

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, ukrguy said:

Right now writing this with air raid alarm siren from the shelter. Let's hope next Christmas will be better...

6a071f435939465fa717796d84d987b8--peace-

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ukrguy said:

Merry Christmas to you!

I am humbled to read your post, written from a bomb shelter, and that you would take the time and effort to wish all of us on AVEN a merry Christmas, whilst you must be cold, dark and under constant attack from those Russian bastards.  Thank you for letting us all know you are alive and safe.  Hoping that the next year will be a better one for all of you brave souls in Ukraine.  Keep up the fight!

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

Baffled *I* can't find it here. What do you all think of it, if it's not discussed

Even though its very serious, there may not be a lot to discuss. Most people I know have a very clear picture in their minds of what is going on  and think the "correct" answer is obvious.   Those pictures are DIFFERENT between different people but very few are willing to change their minds.  Most news is distorted by one side or the other's propaganda so its difficult to agree our sources of information.

2 hours ago, uhtred said:

Most news is distorted by one side or the other's propaganda so its difficult to agree our sources of information.

I don't think that Ukraine's supporters or government are putting out distorted propaganda.  This is not a situation where anyone's being unfair to Putin.  

• Like 2