• search engine
    • static website link
    • link posted on a web forum/email list
    • mass media
    • physical world organization
    • referred by friends/family
    • other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

Via wikipedia. Although I think that I've read about this page on a men magazine about 6 months before wikipedia. Wasn't paying much attention then and i'm not sure if I actually read it. The article was about asexuality(not much info... just that it exists and that it's 1% of human population) but I don't remember a reference to this website.

Born of Star Dust

I was a member of an exchange student forum called Cultures Shocked (I haven't been there in a while), and a girl posted about being asexual. I credit her with my having found AVEN and about my own asexuality. :) If she's here (which is likely) I'd like to give her a big hug and my thanks... Also as a fellow exchange student... I think that she was going to Latvia, actually.

I'm another one who found AVEN through TVTropes. I saw the Asexuality page and thought I'd check it out. I think it was only mentioned on the Troper Tales part of the page at the time, but now it's on the main page under the Real Life section.

This is the fuzzy part. I think I remember years ago I seeing a Dateline or 2020 type show segment on asexuality that mentioned the website and showed David Jay with dark hair and a nice coat that looked good on him. There was an asexual couple mentioned on the show that got married (both were Aces) and just started "fooling around" a little after they were married but still did not do much.

Recently, I was exploring alternative sexualities. The Bi forums I ran into were so sexually explicit at times that it did not meet the curiousity stimulated my search and were counter-productive to the person I want to be. So I googled Asexuality, remembering that there was some world wide forum for it. And here it was. www.asexuality.org.

During a long and random surfing on google I ended up on an article about AVEN's founder and a girl named Kerry who had similar experiences to me. So AVEN had been mentioned there so I did another google search for AVEN and here I am.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the fuzzy part. I think I remember years ago I seeing a Dateline or 2020 type show segment on asexuality that mentioned the website and showed David Jay with dark hair and a nice coat that looked good on him. There was an asexual couple mentioned on the show that got married (both were Aces) and just started "fooling around" a little after they were married but still did not do much.

Recently, I was exploring alternative sexualities. The Bi forums I ran into were so sexually explicit at times that it did not meet the curiousity stimulated my search and were counter-productive to the person I want to be. So I googled Asexuality, remembering that there was some world wide forum for it. And here it was. www.asexuality.org.

Ana, the show you saw was indeed ABC's 20/20 and the couple who were about to marry are still happily married today.

They are no longer involved with AVEN but I still keep in touch with them since we became friends during AVEN's early days and even more so during the filming.

Keith, aka: sbrd143, was also on the show, as was I, and we ended up getting married too, a few years later.

'Musta been something in the water that week .... LOL! (DJ is the only one from that group who is still single.)

-gb

The word 'asexual' had been mentioned in health education class, and when I started doubting I might be asexual, I wikibedia'd it. There was a link to AVEN there.

• 3 weeks later...

I found it through a link in Google. I have never really dated much because I like being single, I have had some fantasies about being intimate but when doing anything like that it was not good and I became averted by it. I thought maybe it would be better to try with women and although there was no confusion attached it did not hold an interest. So I actually Googled asexuality etc.., it came up and this appeared and something kind of clicked. I am so happy to have found it because I am a type of asexual, I guess a demisexual. It is great to have people to post with that have a similar point of view on things because I do not fit in the standard mold.

herpaderderderderder

There was a thread about asexuality on Gaia Online. I decided to checked it out, and the thread directed me to AVEN for more information. I spent a couple of weeks lurking and thinking about joining... and then I did. I'm so glad!

I was reading the TVTropes Asexual page, and it linked me to the Wikipedia page, which had a link to this site.

Another TV Troper here. I was reading the "The Big Bang Theory" TVTropes page and there was a link to their "Asexuality" trope page - the rest is history. I was so thrilled to find out that asexuality was a real thing and not just a joke on TV. I was starting to think I was just weird or something.

I think I googled it. I don't know where I came across the term, though, in the first place. If I searched the term and not some keyword.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd known I was asexual for some time(although I described it as 'platonically heterosexual' I think) when I found the asexuality page on tvtropes, and followed a link to the AVEN wiki.

• 2 weeks later...

I first saw AVEN referenced on the 2020 episode a few years back, and then wikipedia also led me to it.

Guest member25959

True story.

I searched Asexuality on Google. I was actually searching it to see if the word was real, because at the time, I though that I had coined the term myself :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Ninjapandaperson

I found it completely by chance; I was looking at LGBTQ stuff (what is Q, anyway?), and I saw something about asexuality. I was like, "Oh! That's me!" and four blogs later I found it. I think it is a bit too hidden…

Also, a year ago, the asexuality article on Wikipedia had no reference to AVEN…I think. Nor did the tvtropes article…so… would it be out of line to edit those articles (if we haven't already)?

*edit* I now find that Google displays AVEN more prominently than it did a year ago. I am satisfied.

GrandHart

I searched around on the internet to find an asexual community and lo and behold I found AVEN. :lol:

My story is really funny actually.

I was looking at a youtube channel and somebody commented saying they were a biromantic asexual. At the time I identified as a pansexual but it seemed like I should find out WHAT a biromantic asexual was, because I didnt seem to think of sex the way that other people did.

I put the term in google and I found AVEN.

Found it in Wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...

i had no idea what to look for i didnt know if there was even such a thing as asexuality ive nvr heard it from family, from school ( besides asexual repro in plants), from friends (besides one who figured i was but haddent said anything) so i loooked up 4th sexuality figureing that if there was asexuality it would be ussed in a term like that i ended up getting to wikipedia and from there a link to aven ^_^ nice knowing im not alone :)

Saineolaí

Googled "asexuality in humans" after reading up on the orientation on Wikipedia and the BBC website.

dooomninja

well i found out about asexuality on urban dictionary :huh: (yh really)

then i looked it up on Wikipedia and found my way here :D

• 1 month later...
Member33070

Probably Googled it after reading an article when I was 15.

Then just remembered it since then.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I was refer by an Ace-book.net member, who said Aven has a chat to talk, so liked that idea and I joined :lol:

:unsure: I like to talk :redface: maybe to much :wub:

I searched Asexual on Google, after hearing about it on an iTunes podcast, and AVEN came up.

A facebook friend of a facebook friend of mine shared a link to the Italian AVEN site, which my facebook friend shared back; then I saw it, clicked on it, joined it, and eventually discovered the international network. Here I am :lol:

vocaloidist

Though I found it through google, it wasn't what I was originally looking for.

I was looking for stuff on "childish things," because at the time I was kinda frustrated at the fact that I didn't like the majority of "mature" things or fit in the image of maturity that society has. Somehow, I ended up by chance clicking on a thread here that wasn't related to asexuality at all [i don't even remember the thread of it now, but there was something about anime being all immature or something.]

One minute, I thought I was still a child, and the next minute I was doing some serious navel-gazing about who I really was. It was pretty bizarre in a way, especially since I have done similar things with google before with nothing of any important happening [excepting adding some more random story scribbles to my now-deleted scratch pad]. Certainly wasn't expecting something like this to happen, that's for sure.

I should add that I used to talk to someone who described themselves as asexual, but I didn't really give it much thought at the time that I could be like that. And it's pretty interesting to see the more recent people discovering asexuality via TV Tropes.

Archived