• mass media
    • physical world organization
    • referred by friends/family
    • other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• 4 weeks later...
Bestatued Head

I haven't posted...shame...

Wow, it seems like forever...I remember thinking "This world is full sh*theads, I don't relate with them; I'm determined to prove my disposition about them wrong."Ok, from there I read books about humanitarians, nuns, monks, etc. I heard about celibacy, which I knew was a forced nonsex type thing. From there I looked at sites about it, and there I heard about antisexual stuff and then asexuality. I got deeply interested with asexuality, in that I could finally relate to people who don't force themselves not to like sex. I saw AVEN three years ago and I'm contented with the people on it. *hooray*

quietbraggadocio

My mom found the topic of asexual on mass media (CNN), which she found using a search engine, and then told me. So I guess Mass media, search engine, and family.

• 11 months later...

This was actually a funny story: One day I went after one of my favourite activities in search of like-minded and surfed through entries on arbitrary forums title "30 and never had been interested in sex" or "having married for seven years but sex...ph!" ;-) and wrote my responses that I feel the same and really there should be a sexual "category" for us like homo-, bi- or heterosexuality. And one of such days the author replied that someone from AVEN had just told him the same. And I went: "What? Whats supposed to be AVEN? But... Im the only one ;-)" Was like a vision had just become true ;-)

Aside: In Germany we have this poll, too, and most here come through mass media. Hardly through the search engine. Thanks for having covered it so well!

Typed a weird sentence into google which was something like 'is it possible to not have a sexuality' and then found a message board with a link to Aven, how lucky that i found it. :D

Lady Heartilly

News report. On CBS I think. And I never watch the news, but I saw a preview for the report and I was like . . .

"OMFG OTHER PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SEX?!!!!!! Must watch news at 11 tonight . . ."

After I came out to my mom via email, she sent me the link. I suppose I might have done a web search myself, but I just sort of assumed I was alone.

I have the mass media to thank.

There were 2 newspaper articles about asexuality on the 14th October 2004 that I saw, one on the front of The Guardian and another inside The Times, both mentioned the New Scientist article - I believe all mentioned AVEN.

• 3 weeks later...
News report. On CBS I think. And I never watch the news, but I saw a preview for the report and I was like . . .

"OMFG OTHER PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SEX?!!!!!! Must watch news at 11 tonight . . ."

I wish I'd seen that!

through google...

I was wondering if there were other people who also don't like sex, because I didn't know someone like that in real life. I was amazed to find such a large community!

Found AVEN through &TOTSE.

Anyone who knows totse will know that aven is the last thing you'll expect to find there.

• 1 month later...
I have the mass media to thank.

There were 2 newspaper articles about asexuality on the 14th October 2004 that I saw, one on the front of The Guardian and another inside The Times, both mentioned the New Scientist article - I believe all mentioned AVEN.

Similar, except in my mum's tabloid, which was entitled 'Rise of the Asexuals!' (I think!) with lots of pictures they reckon might have been A. I was curioud as to what asexual meant and read the article - so so so glad I did. Most of it was fluff, but it had a link to here at the end. Phew.

:D I agree - I've changed a lot for the better after the being with the nice people here!

• 3 months later...

This is the first time I ever saw it! I think. Well, my roommate told me about AVEN after reading an article online about it. I had never said anything about sexuality to her before, but she simply couldn't imagine me in a relationship so she sort of just correlated me with this site, and the term, I guess. (But it makes perfect sense for me to be in a relationship as she now knows grr!) But I'm glad I found the place! :)

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

I found it because a friend was am admin and mod, and she was showing me the link to where she moderates, cos i showed her the website of the group i manage. And i read up on Asexuality and realised it actually fitted me, and so i stayed :lol:

I had heard of asexuality ages ago in a girly trashy magazine and snubbed it then cos i was too busy trying to be 'normal' lol

[edit]

Okay. That was embarassing. I actually posted the wrong reply in the wrong thread. I hope nobody noticed![/edit]

Anyway, I googled asexuality once upon a time because I was kinda bored at uni. I had heard the term before but had some misconceptions about it and never thought it applied to me. Then voila!

I was talking to a friend and she asked me if I ws asexual, I had heard the term before, but never knew what it actually meant, she found this site and sent me a link to it.

Apparantly she read about asexuality in an article in some magazine, she found the site while looking for something to refer me to. After the first minute of looking around on the site I knew this was my kind of place :D

• 2 years later...

Google search "asexual"... I didn't know the term existed as as a sexuality, I was searching out of humor, trying to see what would come up, as I seemed to lack any sexual urge. So i stumbled upon this. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My nymphomaniac sister and I mean this chick screwed every guy in her town!! finally ended up in a blissfull LTC with a flaming HIV pos. homo!! This totally blew me off the planet particularly when she claims their relationship is AS!! So, seeking answers to this horrific phenomenon, I started researching AS, discovering AVEN that's when MY eyes shot open to my own sexual orientation and years utterly wasted deceiving myself and others about sex. I HATE IT!! I cannot convey the relief and feeling of coming home this site has instilled in me. this is a long post sorry, but had to unload this!! THANKS. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived