• static website link
    • link posted on a web forum/email list
    • mass media
    • physical world organization
    • referred by friends/family
    • other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

Borrible Cal

I was given the link by my best friend (who isn't herself asexual, but who's a lot better at Google searches than I am).

• 3 months later...

I went through Google. I typed in asexual people and this came up first. I was shocked.

Silly Green Monkey

I found AVEN through a rather roundabout way. I did a Google search for asexual and don't remember seeing AVEN on the list. I did see the Meetup.com section for asexuality, which I joined. I read some of the profiles listed, notably AVENguy and BB. His profile said that he'd started a forum for asexuals, but I didn't find a link there so I kept looking. I decided to try to contact BB and ask her, but when I hit the 'pm' button it took me to a lavendar box that prompted me to login. I almost left right there, but accidentally looked around and realized where I was. I registered immediately.

Kombucha2000

I eventually found it on google when I was looking that fucking hyposexual disorder, and I think Swankivy's asexual essay came up, so then I did a search for asexual people. Had to pass by all of the asexual micorganisms sites though :x

Vicious Trollop

I had been doing a lot of thinking about my sexuality, or lack thereof, and eventually started referring to myself as asexual. A short while later I decided to see if I wasn't the only one, did a Yahoo! search for 'asexuality,' and AVEN was one of the first handful of results.

I had no idea it could be so easy! :)

Carsonspire

Same as Lauren, except I used Google for my search. At the time, I didn't even know "asexual" was a valid term.

Actually, I found it with a google on celebacy, which was the term I felt was most applicable to me at the time. . . .

referred to the site by davey.. well.. actually.. we were talking about stuff and he backed up his arguments with threads from AVEN

• 1 month later...

I was searching for 'how to not look gay,' because people think I am, and I found some message site where someone was trying to find out how many asexuals were being mistaken as being gay. As I was reading people's responses, saying that they didn't like sex and didn't want it, I was thinking, "What? There is no way..."

So I searched on asexual to see what it meant and what it was all about, and I found this site. :)

Good idea to revive this thread with so many newbies and I see I haven't answered it.

I was searching for 'non-sexual' and found Dave White's site, someone mentioned AVEN and in I came...it really was love at first sight. Not just the site itself but a lot of the people here.

I found it by link, totally by accident one day while browsing the Alternatives to Marriage Project website. Just a "Hmm, what's this?" and soon after that - "Whooooa!" :D

I'd heard the word asexual before on another website, used in a context that made me guess it meant a low desire for sex... I was feeling lost one day and decided to google search the word. I think I could have done that long ago, but I was afraid of what I might learn about myself... and I still am afraid.

I like your signature :)

It's understandable that you feel afraid but don't let it get to you. Don't push it. Everything will start making sense eventually. Just lay back and relax. Go with the flow, eat some :cake: cake and don't worry about crumbs. :mrgreen:

Hmmm

I think I used Google

I wasn't sure what the correct terminology / word was, so I think I just put in Non Sexual or something similar to that , which in turn tossed up results with Asexual in it...

I checked out the site was amazed to find so many other people herefaintthud.gifand the rest as they say is history.

G.

I eventually found The fridgidarium .Which I believe belongs to one of the members here at aven.

Yippee :!: :!: :!:

My site did some good! I'm glad it was a help, Scabs :D

I don't remember, but I probably found it either through Google or a link on some antisexual site.

Gothicgeekgurl- is your smiley dying? :shock:

I think "Static website link" suits it best. The short version would be, well, through livejournal.

First thing that happened was a discussion on gay rights and such in someone's LJ - I happened to mention, among some other stuff, that I didn't feel attracted to anyone. Someone else posted a reply saying that "asexual" was the word I was looking for. I thought "Aha, okay" but didn't pursue it much further, until a couple of months later.

Remember those colorbars that were going around LJ a while ago? There was a community made for various spoofs and spinoffs of the theme, and I was browsing around there and happened to come across "Asexuality is Real". I remembered that one comment, and took a look at the person's userinfo, which in turn led me to one of the LJ asexuality communities, which in turn led me here.

And then several months later I quit my damn lurking already!

Ah yes artemis! :handslaphead: I should've remembered it was you.You have the ownership of one of my favorite screenames on here.Being as Artemis is the goddess, that encompasses every virtue I wish to attain. =) Plan on naming my kitty (whenever i become the mother of one), artemis.

It was only a little over a year ago, but I seems like, longer, I guess. I think it was a Google search, but it might have been AltaVista or Hotbox or some other search engine. Anyway, I lurked for awhile before posting.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have posted sooner.

I'm very grateful I did. Now my alienated feelings mean something and the bitterness and sense of brokenness in my life have gone away.

Me too.

It was only a little over a year ago, but I seems like, longer, I guess.

I know. It seems like...forever. In a lot of ways it's hard to believe I used to hate sexuals so much. Once I realised I was a, and that's just another orientation, sexuals didn't bother me so much. I'm not sure why. I guess when you're comfortable with yourself it's easier to be comfortable with everyone else.

Cate

I don't remember, but I probably found it either through Google or a link on some antisexual site.

Gothicgeekgurl- is your smiley dying? :shock:

Not dying, fainting :)

G.

It was only a little over a year ago, but I seems like, longer, I guess.

I know. It seems like...forever. In a lot of ways it's hard to believe I used to hate sexuals so much. Once I realised I was a, and that's just another orientation, sexuals didn't bother me so much. I'm not sure why. I guess when you're comfortable with yourself it's easier to be comfortable with everyone else.

Cate

I know what you mean, Cate. The person I was before AVEN is different from the person I am after finding AVEN. Not a lot different, but, significantly different never-the-less.

Upon reflection, perhaps the reason why it seems longer is because of this change. Wanting to savor this moment of change (however small) in my nature, the feeling of real progress happening after years of sameness, maybe even stagnation. What could be more natural than wanting to stretch the moment in time in which this small bit of myself, this tiny epiphany, has been uncovered?

That wise old Arab, Kahlil Gibran, wrote:

"And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasure.

For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

No matter how impossible it is; wouldn't it be only natural to want that feeling to last forever? :D

(Edited for orgulous spelling. :roll: )

I like your signature :)

It's understandable that you feel afraid but don't let it get to you. Don't push it. Everything will start making sense eventually. Just lay back and relax. Go with the flow, eat some :cake: cake and don't worry about crumbs. :mrgreen:

Thank you Kamikola :) Everyone here is so kind and reassuring.

I called myself asexual long before I knew anyone else used the term.

One day, bored, I typed "asexual" into the yahoo search bar, and...

"What the...? Holy crap!!"

• 1 month later...

Archived