• static website link
    • link posted on a web forum/email list
    • mass media
    • physical world organization
    • referred by friends/family
    • other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

underminethewalls

This might be a good start to finding out how people are finding AVEN. Please make suggestions if there are any options I forgot.

I surfed in on a link posted on a radical newswire/discussion forum.

Mod edit: This thread was moved to Census Archive (2004) from Visibility and Education Projects forum.

I Google searched my way through websites concerning celibacy and plant reproduction, trying "-sexuality" with different prefixes for "no." "Asexuality" was my jackpot, though I can't remember if it was a direct result of Google, or whether I found my way here through a link from another page I'd Googled up.

I think I got here from morons.org

Please don't be insulted. Finding AVEN was by chance in this case.

I'm very grateful I did. Now my alienated feelings mean something and the bitterness and sense of brokenness in my life have gone away.

I found AVEN by a search engine. I think that I may have used Compuserve. I tried keywords like celebate, phrases like platonic relationships, etc. until :idea: the word asexual came to mind & I tried searching again. Thats when I found AVEN. juni321

I got here from Kate's link on a Dan Savage column.

Cate

Live R Perfect

I think I saw the term asexuality on another site, then used Google Search with the search terms 'asexuality -biology -reproduction -religion -priests' (after discovering that 'asexuality' alone tended to bring up pages about asexual reproduction and religious abstinence.

i used a search engine for the word 'asexual'

i originally remember hearing the term 'asexual' ascribed to a person maybe 12 years ago; my mother, shrugging, said 'I guess he's asexual' when trying to make sense of the nature of a family member's relationship. so i kept that idea.

i found this place through yahoo... just typed in "asexual discussion forum" & found aven. :D

Somebody kidked away the rock I'd been hiding under for 27 years and dropped AVEN on me instead.

boa

Didja thank the person who moved the rock?

Cate

VivreEstEsperer

This rocks, I'm responsible for two of the people on this thread coming to AVEN :) :) :) Although I may regret it when you surpass me in posts, Cate *laughs* I think you make up for it in all the great reading material you've given me, though!!

Mindlife, I didnt know you read morons.org :) Our own Docteur Qui who recently joined us is a writer for morons.org! I love that site.

I got here by typing asexual into a search engine, ixquick.com, nearly a year after having been exposed to the word by a queer youth counselor and nine months after convincing myself I must be gay.

Kate

I found AVEN 'cuz AVENguy came to my friendship page. I was under the misapprehension that there were no asexual websites until then (except for Leather Spinsters, but they're not 1/4 as good as AVEN)...

I found this via the livejournal asexual community.

BOA, what name did you go by before you came across aven? Just out of curiosity XD

I found it on google.

I was calling myself celibate at the time because I hadn't thought of applying asexual to myself until I saw the word used at a site called "The Celibate FAQ" and decided to search for asexual sites

Oooh good idea undermine! I didn't see this topic before...

I found AVEN because a friend linked me to the Nerve.com article. I didn't have time to read it right then so I bookmarked it and went back a few weeks later and was surprised how much I identified. I followed the link to AVEN, read up a bit on the site FAQs, and joined! Yay! Cookies all around!

anythingtestdead

i was searching one day on the internet.....i forgot what i typed in......but when i found aven i was very happy...............but god damn was my first post crazy...........i might have come off a little bit trollish......but ive changed alot since then,,,hehe........legolas yelled at me....... :) oh well i dont blame him.. i came off kinda crazy i guess......

If I get time this weekend I might sit down and start fiddling with the forums php structure. Hopefully I'd be able to add that to the signup.

Live R Perfect
I found it on google.

I was calling myself celibate at the time because I hadn't thought of applying asexual to myself until I saw the word used at a site called "The Celibate FAQ" and decided to search for asexual sites

Ooh! Ooh! *Thrusts hand into the air*

Ditto! I'm pretty sure thats where I first came across the term too :P

• 2 months later...

I found AVEN through the Asexuality 101 workshop at True Colors XI. David, Julie and Josh were presenting, and I asked if they have a website, and well...there you go. I've referred two of my friends to the site - my boyfriend, and a friend of his who seems to be asexual herself - hope to see them on soon!

-LD

Archived