Antisemitism - I don't get it.

3 hours ago, Vgreen said:

The richest people in our country are mostly Jews, as I am the writer of a financial website for [spam link removed - mod], I mostly get in touch with them. Their way of doing business is very different and I feel not all of us would like it. 

Your comments are an example of antiSemitism.  

Edited by 2SpiritCherokee Princess
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 12:26 AM, Acing It said:

I accidentally listened to the news this morning, or in other words, I was showering and didn't get it switched off in time lol. There was an item saying that antisemitism is on the rise, especially in social media, but that it's spilling over into the physical world too, with slurs lobbed at semites/jews etc... Some of them are about blaming Jews for corona or for the lockdown measures. I have heard a variety of different issues blamed on Jews which obviously don't have anything to do with them. I just... don't get it. Why? What can possibly be the reasoning behind this? In different forms, this has been going on for centuries too. Does anyone have any ideas of what the background could be for the recent rise in antisemitism? 

How did they go from hating china to blaming the jews? This jump makes no sense. Not that either hate is right but how? 

• Like 2
Alaska Native Manitou
14 hours ago, Reindeer said:

How did they go from hating china to blaming the jews? This jump makes no sense. Not that either hate is right but how? 

It doesn't need to make sense as long as they have someone they can blame.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Reindeer said:

My best guess about the twisted logic behind it is the following:

If they think that it's not the virus itself, but the lockdown measures that are an attempt to keep people's behavior under control, then any existing conspiracy theory about any group trying to control public opinion/public behavior can be modified to include those lockdown measures.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, AspieAlly613 said:

My best guess about the twisted logic behind it is the following:

If they think that it's not the virus itself, but the lockdown measures that are an attempt to keep people's behavior under control, then any existing conspiracy theory about any group trying to control public opinion/public behavior can be modified to include those lockdown measures.

Okay, if they blame lockdowns I pretty sure blaming the Jews still doesn't make sense. I feel like the white supremacists saw Russia declaring world war three and went "Hail Hitler"! 

3 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

It doesn't need to make sense as long as they have someone they can blame.

How are we repeating world war 2 again in every way shape and form? What is wrong with the world!!!!! 

5 minutes ago, Reindeer said:

Okay, if they blame lockdowns I pretty sure blaming the Jews still doesn't make sense. 

Well, yeah.  If it made a lot of sense, it would be a mainstream theory, not a conspiracy theory.

• Like 2

Anti-Semitism has never made sense but it has remained a go-to conspiracy theory for 2000 years.  

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Nant Caeach said:

Your linguistics are a dead loss.

Does this have any context that you'd care to provide? What?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Tetusbaum said:

No. Not at all. Any context I provide will be interpreted wrongly. So no. Bait someone else.

50 minutes ago, Nant Caeach said:

No. Not at all. Any context I provide will be interpreted wrongly. So no. Bait someone else.

You know what they say: “When you are worried there is no way to explain what you’re trying to say that won’t get interpreted as ignorant and/or hateful, that’s a good sign that your opinions are very reasonable and normal.”

• Like 1

I can't get my head around anti semitism. I find it no more sensible than hating a stranger for wearing a bobble hat. Just, irrelevant to the 21st century.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Tetusbaum said:

You know what they say: “When you are worried there is no way to explain what you’re trying to say that won’t get interpreted as ignorant and/or hateful, that’s a good sign that your opinions are very reasonable and normal.”

I'm still in a difficult position. My original comment "Your linguistics leave a lot to be desired" could be taken as a criticism of Jewish scripture (which I know nothing about and despite my poor use of language I meant that I didn't really understand the meaning beyond a superficial understanding of the words spoken and their first provisional meaning in an every day sense) and my edited comment that could be considered extremely tasteless. I meant neither as an insult but further thought on the matter and trying (with no understanding of Jewish culture) to understand how it would be recieved by a person of the Jewish faith has convinced me that my only option is to remove it and apologise. This is an incredibly sensitive area and as a Buddhist person with more than a passing interest in Interfaith dialogue with a view of avoiding this type of incident I'm sad as hell that I didn't think of the consequences of making what from my side was meant fairly innocently but turned into a bloody disaster. I apologise for my insensitivity and I've removed my comment.

14 minutes ago, Nant Caeach said:

I'm still in a difficult position. My original comment "Your linguistics leave a lot to be desired" could be taken as a criticism of Jewish scripture (which I know nothing about and despite my poor use of language I meant that I didn't really understand the meaning beyond a superficial understanding of the words spoken and their first provisional meaning in an every day sense) and my edited comment that could be considered extremely tasteless. I meant neither as an insult but further thought on the matter and trying (with no understanding of Jewish culture) to understand how it would be recieved by a person of the Jewish faith has convinced me that my only option is to remove it and apologise. This is an incredibly sensitive area and as a Buddhist person with more than a passing interest in Interfaith dialogue with a view of avoiding this type of incident I'm sad as hell that I didn't think of the consequences of making what from my side was meant fairly innocently but turned into a bloody disaster. I apologise for my insensitivity and I've removed my comment.

I feel like you are over complicating the issue in such a way as to make a bunch of weird implications. I’m not really for that - I think if you have something to say, you should say it, and if you think people will not like what you’re saying, you should think about why that is.

Antisemitism is pernicious in part because of exactly this kind of thing: the subvocalized implications of an enigmatic and strange group of people who one doesn’t fully understand. This is a weird way to think about people who live and work alongside us. I don’t think you need to tiptoe around Jewish folks, just, you know, be normal. You don’t have to think of them any differently than any other people: respect their personhood, listen to what they say when they speak to you, be kind to each other. 

Unfortunately, seeding talk about any group of people with oblique and unclear references to vague ideas is exactly the kind of thing that people tend to do when they want to spread bigoted ideas, so doing that make your posts look like dog whistles, regardless of your intentions. 

I take from some of your other recent posts that you have a relatively conspiratorial mindset and maybe a bit of paranoia about being persecuted for those beliefs, and I guess I’d just ask you to think about what the world might be like if none of those ideas what merit and the vast majority of people were basically normal and fine. How would your actions seem to others? In what way might they respond? What could convince you of the truth in such a situation?

No idea if that will be helpful to you, but good luck out there.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tetusbaum said:

I feel like you are over complicating the issue in such a way as to make a bunch of weird implications. I’m not really for that - I think if you have something to say, you should say it, and if you think people will not like what you’re saying, you should think about why that is.

Antisemitism is pernicious in part because of exactly this kind of thing: the subvocalized implications of an enigmatic and strange group of people who one doesn’t fully understand. This is a weird way to think about people who live and work alongside us. I don’t think you need to tiptoe around Jewish folks, just, you know, be normal. You don’t have to think of them any differently than any other people: respect their personhood, listen to what they say when they speak to you, be kind to each other. 

Unfortunately, seeding talk about any group of people with oblique and unclear references to vague ideas is exactly the kind of thing that people tend to do when they want to spread bigoted ideas, so doing that make your posts look like dog whistles, regardless of your intentions. 

I take from some of your other recent posts that you have a relatively conspiratorial mindset and maybe a bit of paranoia about being persecuted for those beliefs, and I guess I’d just ask you to think about what the world might be like if none of those ideas what merit and the vast majority of people were basically normal and fine. How would your actions seem to others? In what way might they respond? What could convince you of the truth in such a situation?

No idea if that will be helpful to you, but good luck out 

I apologised for the possibility of my words being taken as insulting. I think you should too. This matter is over. 

@Alaska Native ManitouI feel that I've been unfairly attacked here. Have I done anything you think to warrant the accusations of Paranoia, sedition or a conspiratorial mindset levelled at me by @Tetusbaum. Also could you pm me regarding how to deal with the possibility that I may have encountered another contributor to this forum in their professional capacity. At the moment staying on AVEN seems very unlikely because if I have met this person this a potential nightmare. This is all I can do. I had hoped Welsh Erasure was a thing of the past. 

22 hours ago, Tetusbaum said:

I don't even know who or what it's aimed at. My original post? [shrug]

9 hours ago, Nant Caeach said:

Any context I provide will be interpreted wrongly. So no. Bait someone else.

I mean, you kind of baited yourself by posting an objectively inscrutable comment which didn't have anything obvious to do with the months-inactive thread on a sensitive topic.

I don't think you should be surprised at anyone asking you to clarify.

I also don't think you should blame them for hypothetically misconstruing words you won't even say.

• Like 1

What words would they be mind reader? The ones I won't even say?

On a more topical note; if you like reading about the origins of words like conversion therapy have a look at the words I said on the venting thread and do some research.

Alaska Native Manitou

Remember that you have the right to flag any post that you believe is misinterpreting your words.