Question for cis female asexuals (others are also welcomed)

I'm a cis female asexual and I'm absolutely TIRED of my periods. Recently, I've been trying to do some research on how to stop periods permanently and all of them require medical surgeries. Medicines are said to defer your period cycle temporarily but they can't help to get rid of periods completely..

What i want to ask other cis female asexuals that if you know about some procedures to eradicate periods in any way with or without surgeries, and which measure will be the least detrimental on our health..Besides is there any age restrictions for the act to be performed-all the details you know about. I'm literally just at the peak of losing my senses over it and i definitely don't want children so HELP!

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, kashfy said:

What i want to ask other cis female asexuals that if you know about some procedures to eradicate periods in any way with or without surgeries, and which procedure will be the least detrimental on our health..Besides is there any age restrictions for the act to be performed-all the details you know about. I'm literally just at the peak of losing my senses over it and i definitely don't want children so HELP!

It's best to ask this question of a medical professional. They can help you and know which options are best suitable for your body and health.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

It's best to ask this question of a medical professional. They can help you and know which options are best suitable for your body and health.

I know but i just want some suggestion before doing that and some more information before actually taking the step..it might affect my health condition so i just want some discussion about this..

Thanks for your answer though..

TheSmolFoxWeeb

I’m afab and I hate my periods. Then again, I’m not actually cis so It’s probably for a totally different reason. Why am I even here I don’t even have an answer for your question

• Like 2
Sister Mercurial

Discuss with a doctor.  I'm sterilised, but generally, when they do that, they leave all the bits in, they just cut the tubes and clip the ends back away from each other.  The reason is that inside girly bits produce a lot of hormones. The hormones run the menstrual cycle, so they're responsible for periods, but if they're not there, then you go through menopause early, which isn't a barrel of laughs either from what I've read.  Menopause symptoms vary from woman to woman, but from what I've read in broadsheets and on health websites, it can give you hot flushes, affect your mood, age you in some ways and even lead to brittle bones in some cases.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Depending on your age, they will refuse to do anything 'in case you change your mind and want children after all' (sigh). I hope your experience is different. 

Edited by Acing It
  • Like 3

So you either have your uterus removed, you have your ovaries removed or you have both uterus and ovaries removed.

If you have your ovaries removed, you will go straight into menopause and it's highly recommended to take HRT to avoid many differing health issues (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov has articles).

If you have just your uterus removed and keep your ovaries, you'll likely go into the menopause within 5 years, and also need HRT as above.

Edited by Triana
Correct URL
  • Like 3

Hi. Since you're still a teen, like @Acing It mentioned, it's unlikely that a doctor would perform that kind of surgery on you. Even women in their 20s and 30s have been rejected by doctors because they still feel that they might "change their mind."

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Sister Mercurial said:

Discuss with a doctor.  I'm sterilised, but generally, when they do that, they leave all the bits in, they just cut the tubes and clip the ends back away from each other.  The reason is that inside girly bits produce a lot of hormones. The hormones run the menstrual cycle, so they're responsible for periods, but if they're not there, then you go through menopause early, which isn't a barrel of laughs either from what I've read.  Menopause symptoms vary from woman to woman, but from what I've read in broadsheets and on health websites, it can give you hot flushes, affect your mood, age you in some ways and even lead to brittle bones in some cases.  

thanks for providing me with an important information..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LeChat said:

Even women in their 20s and 30s have been rejected by doctors because they still feel that they might "change their mind."

I have never heard that..isn't it normal for doctors to do the things we ask them to do as long as it's not illicit and we are giving them money?? It's ridiculous if they still don't accede to our demands even after we have confirmed that we definitely don't want children..i know they would not accept me so early as I'm not over 18 years yet(I'm 17) but what's wrong with women in their 30s and above? This doesn't make sense!

2 hours ago, Triana said:

So you either have your uterus removed, you have your ovaries removed or you have both uterus and ovaries removed.

If you have your ovaries removed, you will go straight into menopause and it's highly recommended to take HRT to avoid many differing health issues (nimh.gov has articles).

If you have just your uterus removed and keep your ovaries, you'll likely go into the menopause within 5 years, and also need HRT as above.

thanks for telling me the facts..

1 hour ago, kashfy said:

I have never heard that..isn't it normal for doctors to do the things we ask them to do as long as it's not illicit and we are giving them money?? It's ridiculous if they still don't accede to our demands even after we have confirmed that we definitely don't want children..i know they would not accept me so early as I'm not over 18 years yet(I'm 17) but what's wrong with women in their 30s and above? This doesn't make sense!

Hi. Yeah; I was surprised by it, too, when I found out some women in their 20s and 30s mentioned their doctor(s) refused to perform the procedure.

Here's a link, which explains more about why: At What Age Can I Get a Hysterectomy? | National Women's Health Network (nwhn.org)

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Hi. Yeah; I was surprised by it, too, when I found out some women in their 20s and 30s mentioned their doctor(s) refused to perform the procedure.

Here's a link, which explains more about why: At What Age Can I Get a Hysterectomy? | National Women's Health Network (nwhn.org)

The only thing i could grasp from this is that i can't get a surgery without being afflicted by any fatal diseases there..i think i took it too lightly, I'm frightened of the consequences now😅 i understand why they won't aggree to do that but i really want to obliterate it from my life, i don't know what to do, seems like impossible! 

By the way, thanks for sharing this with me, it means a lot..i got to learn about some important facts..

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

For what I know around my area, doctors will not give just anybody this with the exception of long term health.  Some may require therapy and a mental health assessment to explain the reasons in full.

• Like 2
a little annihilation

I (not a female by gender but I have a uterus) also have had these thoughts

I want a hysterectomy but I doubt that a doctor would do that surgery for me, since I'm young and the health system is made to be misogynistic

I've tried doing research and it seems like the only way that doctors will agree to do these type of surgeries is if there's a health issue where it's necessary to save your life

• Like 3

This isn’t a procedure but I’ve had an arm implant for 4 years and I haven’t had a period at all since I’ve had it. It doesn’t stop everyone’s period though, so you do run the risk of it not working for that then having to get it removed.

• Like 2
nanogretchen4

Birth control implants often reduce or stop menstruation. In addition they are a very effective contraceptive method and are considered relatively safe and noninvasive. A doctor might be willing to prescribe a birth control implant for an underage teen, since it is reversible and not a major procedure. If not, you should have no problem getting one in a year. 

Doctors don't like to be blamed, sued, suspended, or fired when their patients ask for unusual and extreme procedures that are medically unnecessary and then regret it. So if a patient's menstrual issues can be solved by birth control implant, great. Older patients who already have two or more children are less likely to regret permanent birth control methods like tubal ligation, which doesn't have any effect on menstruation anyway. Hysterectomy is major surgery that is not medically necessary except in cases of cancer or severe disease or injury, so most doctors won't just do it on command. There are less invasive solutions to most menstrual problems and less invasive highly effective birth control methods.

In case of gender dysphoria, adults with uteruses may be able to take testosterone. Testosterone often makes periods lighter and less frequent but does not necessarily stop them and also does not necessarily prevent pregnancy. The birth control implant probably does both more effectively than testosterone does. Bottom surgery is usually more expensive and harder to get than hormones. Even when trans masculine people get bottom surgery, the uterus is often not removed and trans men may continue to menstruate at least occasionally. 

My advice would be to make an appointment with your doctor and ask your doctor about the birth control implant.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

Birth control implants often reduce or stop menstruation. In addition they are a very effective contraceptive method and are considered relatively safe and noninvasive. A doctor might be willing to prescribe a birth control implant for an underage teen, since it is reversible and not a major procedure. If not, you should have no problem getting one in a year. 

Doctors don't like to be blamed, sued, suspended, or fired when their patients ask for unusual and extreme procedures that are medically unnecessary and then regret it. So if a patient's menstrual issues can be solved by birth control implant, great. Older patients who already have two or more children are less likely to regret permanent birth control methods like tubal ligation, which doesn't have any effect on menstruation anyway. Hysterectomy is major surgery that is not medically necessary except in cases of cancer or severe disease or injury, so most doctors won't just do it on command. There are less invasive solutions to most menstrual problems and less invasive highly effective birth control methods.

In case of gender dysphoria, adults with uteruses may be able to take testosterone. Testosterone often makes periods lighter and less frequent but does not necessarily stop them and also does not necessarily prevent pregnancy. The birth control implant probably does both more effectively than testosterone does. Bottom surgery is usually more expensive and harder to get than hormones. Even when trans masculine people get bottom surgery, the uterus is often not removed and trans men may continue to menstruate at least occasionally. 

My advice would be to make an appointment with your doctor and ask your doctor about the birth control implant.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, i will do more research on it, also i don't know if i will change my mind if i find out that i must face some life threatening problems after that..so i will scrutinize more about it..i really appreciate that you took your time to write this..

CW for medical uterus stuff:

As already mentioned, I have a Mirena IUD and haven't had a period in years. They last for 5 years before having to be changed out. Fair warning that it can be painful when you get it inserted. It is different for every woman. For me it didn't hurt that much getting it put in but afterwards I had the worst cramps of my life. Like I couldn't eat for the rest of the day. Still I was better the next day and it has been so worth it not to have periods. Talk to your doctor to see if they could work for you, but I don't see a reason a teenager couldn't have one. 

• Like 2
Skipper Valvoline

Birth control pills can also help. I had a doctor mention that you don't HAVE to take the placebo week pills (the time when you're supposed to have your period)... some women just go straight to the next pack and so don't have their period altogether.

I got put on an extended cycle pack and if I have a period now (I don't always) it lasts maybe 2 days and is suuuper light. Just from the pills. So they could be a starting point before building up to more extreme options.

I'm not ace but have had similar thoughts many times as I used to have very intense periods when I was younger. In my case, they became more tolerable once I was in my early 20s, but I still would rather not deal with them. I've also wanted to get my tubes tied for years as I'm definitely not planning to have any kids, but no doctor in my country would  perform that surgery on me 😕

Seconded that hormonal birth control, both pills and hormonal IUDs, can be a great help with periods, though. I have no personal experience with it, but lots of my friends said it greatly reduced their periods and just made them much more bearable. 

• Like 1
Sister Mercurial
5 hours ago, Libellule said:

I've also wanted to get my tubes tied for years as I'm definitely not planning to have any kids, but no doctor in my country would  perform that surgery on me

Not sure if this is helpful as you don't mention what country, but do Marie Stopes International operate where you are?  They're more famous for abortions, but they also do sterilisations.  I looked into that after my 1st appointment with a consultant at the hospital near the family home because he was a total arse, so I was planning to save up to pay MSI to do it.  Luckily I then found a much more sympathetic consultant in the city where I went to uni and got it done on the NHS, but if your standard health providers won't do it. then it may be worth looking into whether MSI will.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sister Mercurial said:

Not sure if this is helpful as you don't mention what country, but do Marie Stopes International operate where you are?  They're more famous for abortions, but they also do sterilisations.  I looked into that after my 1st appointment with a consultant at the hospital near the family home because he was a total arse, so I was planning to save up to pay MSI to do it.  Luckily I then found a much more sympathetic consultant in the city where I went to uni and got it done on the NHS, but if your standard health providers won't do it. then it may be worth looking into whether MSI will.  

They don't operate in Germany unfortunately, but they have a clinic in Austria so not too far. I have read some stories about German women getting sterilisations done in Austria or the Netherlands because these countries seem to have policies more sympathetic to childless women who want to get sterilised. In Germany it seems impossible to get one until you've reached a certain age and had at least 2 kids :( 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
chaotic lemon

Im on my journey into my nonbinary becoming. I recently discovered my Ace-ness a couple years ago. The pandemic has inspired me to look at other parts of my life that I used to beat myself up about for not understanding. My sexuality and romantic attractions one, and now my gender.

I get a lot of dysphoria and hatred during menstruation. I do not wish to have children at all. Therefore I think it is so useless and painful and unfair for me to through all this grief every month “just in case” I change my mind? 

I find it is insane that cis women + folks assigned female at birth are born with the biology to make the mental and physical life altering decision to give birth; But only have the option to PREVENT it. There are no real if and or buts if you even want to opt out of it at all.

All I’m seeing beyond health risks of any invasive surgeries, are excuses to protect these individuals who are looking to voluntarily remove their uterus, from “””regret”””. 

Personally, I’m not interested in taking hormones or blocking my periods:  I want to completely remove that part of me. I recognize that I assign a lot of importance and meanings related to sexuality/gender on my own genitals (And hey I am open to reflect on this more and unpack it through some therapy rn); But regardless, it is completely awful to deny any birth control (especially permanent) for folks who don’t want/want to transition (f to m) + who don’t want children at all. 

edit: I’m 24 and in Canada, and some sites I’m seeing say that if you’re under 30, you’re still “too young” to even see anyone about voluntary sterilization/hysterectomy/permanent birth control MOST LIKELY BC EVERYONE IS ASSUMING YOURE GNNA MAGICALLY WANT CHILDREN WHEN YOURE OLDER? Thanks but no. Sigh..

edit edit: I’m still in the process to research and learn more about if I can do this procedure in my province, because it is supposedly covered 🥺

Edited by chaotic lemon
Sister Mercurial

@chaotic lemon, there is a thread elsewhere on here re getting tubes tied, which I got done at 22. 

However, getting all your inner girly bits taken out is not something recommended because the hormones they secrete affect other aspects of your physical health.  Taking them all out will induce menopause, with associated health concerns.  

• Like 1
On 2/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, kashfy said:

I'm a cis female asexual and I'm absolutely TIRED of my periods. Recently, I've been trying to do some research on how to stop periods permanently and all of them require medical surgeries. Medicines are said to defer your period cycle temporarily but they can't help to get rid of periods completely..

What i want to ask other cis female asexuals that if you know about some procedures to eradicate periods in any way with or without surgeries, and which measure will be the least detrimental on our health..Besides is there any age restrictions for the act to be performed-all the details you know about. I'm literally just at the peak of losing my senses over it and i definitely don't want children so HELP!

Don't worry; wait a few decades and it will be over.

I'm agender AFAB. I've been taking norethisterone 5mg since September 2020 and haven't had a period once during that time. I intend to stay on it until menopause.

I believe it is called norethindrone in the US.

It's the same medication used to delay a period temporarily, eg if going on holiday, but at 5mg rather than 15mg daily.

Some people also have success with implants (nexplanon), IUDs (Mirena), or a standard contraceptive pill taken without breaks (I got down to around 4 periods a year on Rigevidon, but never managed to eliminate them completely that way).

No medication works perfectly for every individual so it's a case of trying everything until you find something that works for you. The various progestin-based options are a good place to start.